Conservative Fundraising

All reaction and no story... what was said? What does it matter?

Someone is out to get Harper in this, there is actually no mention of what was actually said in the mailout.

Someone is out to get Harper in this? What do you mean by that?

Here is a story on it with more details about what was said:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...PStory/National

"Our Conservative Prime Minister, Stephen Harper was amongst the first of the world's leaders to take a principled stand on the new turmoil in the Mideast,"

"Admit it: Moral clarity feels a lot better than the endless equivocation we found with our previous government. But not everyone is grateful for the strong, clear direction of Canada's new government and this includes in particular the opposition parties who are only interested in manoeuvring for party advantage. And so, I must turn to you to ask you for your support."

snip

Mr. Donison did not return phone calls yesterday, but one Conservative official said the party is not playing "political games" with the conflict.

"The intention of the letter is not to take advantage of a situation in the Middle East in order to raise funds," the official said.

"The point of the letter is to remind Canadians that they have a Prime Minister who's able to make decisions and at times those decisions may be tough, but unlike the Liberals, he doesn't dither, he decides."

Ah yes, Harper is the decider.

Whatever the point of the email, it is JUSTIFIED that it is criticized as a fundraising effort based upon a two week old tragedy.

The Conservatives might be asking for $$ but the option is still your to support the Party or not.

I know that whatever party t I got a letter like that from I'd be a little pissed.

Exactly. Once again the topic is about the actions of the CPC, and all the apologists can do is point a finger at the Liberals.

Capitalizing on a two week old tragedy is expected behaviour from this crew. They haven't stopped electioneering since gaining government. They will be rewarded for it I suspect.

The Conservatives might be asking for $$ but the option is still your to support the Party or not.

Nobody is making you give,unlike the Liberals Party who used taxpayer $$$$ to fund their Party.

Oh, you mean the CPC isn't using United Jewish Appeal to do Canadian government advertising and taking a 10% rakeoff?

This is pretty bad.

Look, the message is fine...and one I tend to agree with...in terms of trying to increase support for a leader by highlighting his decisiveness and contrasting his approach to a much less inspiring approach of a rival.

But the timing is terrible. As dead kids are being displayed on our television screens we are being asked to make political funding contributions based on that leader's official position on that very conflict?

For God's sake...wait until an actual election campaign (or at least until the conflict is not still unfolding before our eyes) before trying to make hay out of one's record on the subject.

As someone who has voted for Harper both internally and in public elections, I am offended. And I dare say that if something like this had been in a Liberal party letter that many in the CPC would be on the "moral outrage" circuit.

Stupidity is stupidity no matter what color the letterhead...don't defend it...apologize, move on, and don't do it again.

FTA