At least 1,000 UK soldiers desert

Guest Warwick Green

Guest Warwick Green

Cases of soldiers deserting the army are said to be rising

More than 1,000 members of the British military have deserted the armed forces since the start of the 2003 Iraq war, the BBC has discovered. It comes as Parliament debates a law that will forbid military personnel refusing to participate in the occupation of a foreign country.

During 2005 alone, 377 people deserted and are still missing. So far this year another 189 are on the run.

Some 900 have evaded capture since the Iraq war started, official figures say....

It is unclear how many troops are deserting because they do not want to go to Iraq and how many are doing so because of personal reasons such as family problems....

There is plenty of anecdotal evidence from military personnel that they are demoralised by the continuing conflict in Iraq and the fact that, despite their best efforts, there's little improvement in the situation there.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5024104.stm

Cases of soldiers deserting the army are said to be rising

More than 1,000 members of the British military have deserted the armed forces since the start of the 2003 Iraq war, the BBC has discovered. It comes as Parliament debates a law that will forbid military personnel refusing to participate in the occupation of a foreign country.

During 2005 alone, 377 people deserted and are still missing. So far this year another 189 are on the run.

Some 900 have evaded capture since the Iraq war started, official figures say....

It is unclear how many troops are deserting because they do not want to go to Iraq and how many are doing so because of personal reasons such as family problems....

There is plenty of anecdotal evidence from military personnel that they are demoralised by the continuing conflict in Iraq and the fact that, despite their best efforts, there's little improvement in the situation there.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5024104.stm

So I guess they are finally admitting that it is an Occupation and not a Liberation.

Naturally, my support goes to the soldiers who are there and see first hand the carnage and chaos.

To prepare for battle the American troops go through extensive, let's call it 'brainwashing', for lack of a better word; where contempt and hatred for the determined 'enemy' drives them to do unspeakable acts.

Their country tells them they are there to 'free' the Iraqi people, but when they realize that the Iraqi people are not interested in their brand of freedom, they are caught between a rock and a hard place.

One interview with a young American soldier comes to mind. He was in Iraq as an 'Intelligence Officer'. He asked 'what do I know about military intelligence. Before I came here I worked at Kentucky Fried Chicken.'

They are ill trained and unprepared, brandishing sophisticated weapons that give them far too much power, when nerves are frayed. Other coalition forces see this and are sickened. I just feel sad.