Olivia Chow to make announcement today....

betsy

Kincora:

In the House of Commons daily question period, Prime Minister Paul Martin told MPs that he had accepted Dingwall's resignation, and made it clear he still supported the former Liberal cabinet minister.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

He quit. End of story, the guy tendered his resignation. He quit. Its over, he doesn't deserve a dime.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/20...ion-060204.html

He was forced out, as was found by an independant tribunal. He was forced out. End fo story. It's over.

"The binding award of the arbitrator has the force of a court order, and the government has respected the decision."

"Mr. Adams has concluded that Mr. Dingwall's departure was involuntary and the government has a legal obligation to pay him $417,780, as well as associated pension benefits," the Privy Council Office said in a statement.

Tories won't challenge severance package

So, klet's stick to the issues, and resist the temptation to go off on another anti-CBC rant.

Dingwall was found to be forced out. The Liberals followed a BINDING order. Do you have any ides what that word means.

When it comes to Dingwall, you're siomply ignoring the facts Geoffrey. You are blaming the Liberals because you don't agree with the findings of a tribunal, whose sole pr\urpose is to hear cases of this anture.

You don't like the result, FINE. I don't agree with it either, but it has a BINDING order attached to it. It is not a scandal to follow the orders of a tribunal.

Now THAT is the end of the story. Period. Debate the issue on it's merits, not on wantom, self-serving drawn lines.

Actually Kincora, why don't I just show you the statement by Mister Dingbat (I had to make the MacKay joke, even if it's ridiculous)... that should put this abuse to rest once and for all:

Statement by David C. Dingwall, President and CEO, The Royal Canadian Mint

OTTAWA, Sept. 28 /CNW Telbec/ - Earlier today I sent a letter to the

Prime Minister and to the Chairperson of the Board tendering my resignation as

President and CEO of the Royal Canadian Mint.

During the summer months, I had a rare opportunity to take some time to

reflect on my career with my wife, my family, and some close friends. I told

them that I would more than likely be leaving my position as CEO some time

over the next number of months in order to pursue a number of projects. I am

fortunate that I have the health and quite a number of years left in me to

devote to a new chapter in my career.

Central to my decision was the achievement of the goals that I set out in

consultation with the Board of Directors and the Government of Canada. I have

spent the past two-and-a-half years devoting many long hours to the challenges

and responsibilities of turning around the Royal Canadian Mint, with a strong,

dedicated team of executives and hard-working employees. Together we have

accomplished many things:

- Early in my tenure, we were able to stablize the organization's

financial situation;

- In 2004, we returned the Mint to profitability with a pre-tax profit

of $15.9 million and paid a dividend to the Government of Canada of

$1 million;

- We have significantly grown the business; in 2004, Mint revenues

increased by $70 million. Moreover, year-to-date August 2005,

revenues increased $35 million over the same period 2004;

- In 2004, we returned $64 million dollars in seigniorage to the

shareholder, the Government of Canada;

- Through the adoption of lean enterprise, we have increased

productivity and focused on our customers;

- And we have maintained an open dialogue and positive relationships

with our two unions.

Recently, there have been some media stories regarding the work I

undertook on behalf of two technology companies seeking investment from

Technology Partnership Canada.

I will simply say that I worked very hard on each and every one of the

contracts and did, to the best of my knowledge and ability, comply with all

aspects of the Act governing the government relations business. If there was a

registration problem or other technical compliance issue on one of the

contracts, then that is entirely my responsibility.

With regard to the issue of my expenses, all of the expenses were related

to my responsibilities and each of them were disclosed to the Board and will

stand up to scrutiny as completely appropriate to my role as President of the

Mint. I have asked the Board to strike an independent committee to review all

of the expenses and I will abide by any findings the committee may have with

regard to their appropriateness.

However, given the profile that these stories have, I certainly do not

want to detract in any way from the important work of the Mint. So, rather

than wait the few months to make the move to the next stage of my life, I am

taking this opportunity to leave. I do so with pride in the work we have

achieved together.

I will always cherish the friendships and the honour of serving the

Government as the President of the Mint and I look forward to a new chapter in

my life.

For further information: please contact: Pam Aung Thin, Vice-President

Communications, (613) 993-5092, (613) 991-5342, Cellular: (613) 220-5096,

[email protected]

Archived images on this organization are searchable through CNW Photo Archive

website at http://photos.newswire.ca. Images are free to accredited members

Bullshit, the guy doesn't deserve anything.

Again geoffrey, you are ignoring the facts. The Liberals simply foolowed a binding order. The only abuse is coming from you. I am posting the facts, again and again...and you simply refuse to listen. There is ABsolutely no getting through to you.

Anyone who looks at this entire issue with some perspective will realize that this sn't a Liberal scandal. This is a labour law issue. Dingwall was awarded what he received, by a tribunal. Why can't you understand that?

You rant on and on about how he doesn't deserve it. I AGREE! But that is irrelevant to the context of our debate, being blaming the Liberals.

You cannot blame the Liberals for every single Labour Law that exists. You cannot blame the LIberals for following the orders of an authority...

No, Dingwall doesn't deserve anything. We are in agreement, but for the umpteenth time, this has NOTHING to do with Liberal conduct.

As they shouldn't, the law made a choice.

Doesn't mean the law made the right choice, just you can't give someone power independantly and then make the decision yourself later.

Did you read the statement from Dingwall I posted or no?

I want to make things clear for you. I agree with you that Dingwal doesn't deserve a penny. I know all about his statement. He's a money grubbing, former public servant. There ar eno shortage of those , and there will be many more to come.

But you can't blame the Liberals for following the tribunals order. It's binding Geoffrey. If they had ignored it, that would have been cause for a real scandal, because they would be thumbing their noses Canadian law.

They would be breaking the rule of law, and that is a founding principal of Canada. Not only Canada, but of any Democratic country. Government is not above the law.

You can't undermine the rule of law whenever you don't agree with the result, otherwise their is absolutely no legitimacy in government.

If you don't agree with it, fine. Post about that. I agree, and I also agree that the tribunal didn't come to the ight finding, but there are those who would think that the results are fair.

Again geoffrey, you are ignoring the facts. The Liberals simply foolowed a binding order. The only abuse is coming from you. I am posting the facts, again and again...and you simply refuse to listen. There is ABsolutely no getting through to you.

Anyone who looks at this entire issue with some perspective will realize that this sn't a Liberal scandal. This is a labour law issue. Dingwall was awarded what he received, by a tribunal. Why can't you understand that?

You rant on and on about how he doesn't deserve it. I AGREE! But that is irrelevant to the context of our debate, being blaming the Liberals.

You cannot blame the Liberals for every single Labour Law that exists. You cannot blame the LIberals for following the orders of an authority...

No, Dingwall doesn't deserve anything. We are in agreement, but for the umpteenth time, this has NOTHING to do with Liberal conduct.

Whether its Liberal or CPC it doesn't matter, I'd be equally pissed. I didn't intend for the Liberal connection to be the most important part of my post.

It isn't a labour law scandal. Labour law is on our side, labour law says he doesn't deserve it. So now I wonder why such an arbitrator would say he does deserve it? Is that not in the least bit questionable Kincora?

Oh wait, now I remember the problem with the Liberal party.

They accepted the ruling yes. The ruling said Dingwall was forced out. Why was he forced out, I don't think he was, but if he deserve the money, then he was? Very confusing.

The big big big issue with all of this is that the public was not informed before the election of the ruling even though the ruling was made on the 20th (a Friday evening of course) and that, is unethical on part of the Liberals.

The story doesn't add up, something is amuck. Whats the real deal going on here?

Whether its Liberal or CPC it doesn't matter, I'd be equally pissed. I didn't intend for the Liberal connection to be the most important part of my post.

It isn't a labour law scandal. Labour law is on our side, labour law says he doesn't deserve it. So now I wonder why such an arbitrator would say he does deserve it? Is that not in the least bit questionable Kincora?

Actually Geoff, labour law says he DOES deserve it. Labour law invests authority in these tribunals to settle matters of dispute relating to Labour law, in the place of courts.

The tribunal is an autority on the matter, and that's how they found. What you are disagreeing with is the conclusion the tribunal came to.

Now, you are getting to the heart of the matter. It doesn;t matter whether it was LPC of CPC. Exactly right, it has nothing to do with any political party. It is not a political scandal, and your last post shows you understanhd that.

That's wat eats me about this Dingwall affair. it isn't a LPC scandal, but that's how a select few CPC mps and supporters are trying to spin it. This is a matter of disagreeing with the findings of an independant judiciary body./

If a judge makes a decision you don't like, and the Supreme Court certainly has it's share of characters who absolutely boggle the mind with their reasoning, do we blame the governmentn for that? No, we blame the judges, and then the entire debate over power of the judiciary in Canada starts up again. The DIngwall affair is the same issue.

Actually Geoff, labour law says he DOES deserve it. Labour law invests authority in these tribunals to settle matters of dispute relating to Labour law, in the place of courts.

The tribunal is an autority on the matter, and that's how they found. What you are disagreeing with is the conclusion the tribunal came to.

Now, you are getting to the heart of the matter. It doesn;t matter whether it was LPC of CPC. Exactly right, it has nothing to do with any political party. It is not a political scandal, and your last post shows you understanhd that.

That's wat eats me about this Dingwall affair. it isn't a LPC scandal, but that's how a select few CPC mps and supporters are trying to spin it. This is a matter of disagreeing with the findings of an independant judiciary body./

If a judge makes a decision you don't like, and the Supreme Court certainly has it's share of characters who absolutely boggle the mind with their reasoning, do we blame the governmentn for that? No, we blame the judges, and then the entire debate over power of the judiciary in Canada starts up again. The DIngwall affair is the same issue.

How are these commissions appointed? Is it by an independant body or are they selected by the PMO?

The later would suggest influence in the decision and I would not respect such a move.

Like I said in my last post (you posted before you could have read it), the Liberals didn't tell the public about this even though they knew. The being forced out that is. That upsets me that voters were not told the full truth.

Because if Dingwall was forced out, then it most definitely is a LPC issue.

Well Geoff, that is what some CPC's are saying.

yes.

But why didn't the Conservatives dispute it then? The Liberals didn't disclose it, but as was pointed out by many Liberals, the ruling wsn't a secret. It's well within the government's authority to accept the ruling of a judiciary body.

The Conservatives knew the results of the ruling, and didn't make a peep.

"His director of communications, William Stairs, told the Canadian Press that he did not expect the new Tory government to challenge the arbitrator's decision"

The Tory Communications director was surprised by this. It sounds mroe to me like a few CPC members are dissapointed that they didn't win a majority when it looked like they had a chance to.

Dingwall being forced out is indeed a political issue. But the tribunal didn't rule that he was physically forced out by government. It ruled that he was forced out because of the allegations amde by a Conservative MP.

Dingwall himself agreed that he left the job involuntarily, but he alleged that he left because the mint could not maintain itself as a profitable body if it's chief is operating under the shadow of accusations like the ones that were forwarded last year. The tribunal accepted this. That is why they believe him to ahve been forced out.

As for your question relating to labour tribunals, they are not politically appointed. Their orders ahve the force of court orders, thus tying them to the judiciary, not the legislature.