Israel prepares to strike Iran's nukes

The Sunday Times reports:

I'm not sure how accurate this is, as the article quotes many "sources" (shades of Seymour Hersh).

ISRAEL’S armed forces have been ordered by Ariel Sharon, the prime minister, to be ready by the end of March for possible strikes on secret uranium enrichment sites in Iran, military sources have revealed....Iran’s stand-off with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) over nuclear inspections and aggressive rhetoric from Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, the Iranian president, who said last week that Israel should be moved to Europe, are causing mounting concern.

Not to mention Ahmadinejad's recent threats to wipe Israel off the map.

If a military operation is approved, Israel will use air and ground forces against several nuclear targets in the hope of stalling Tehran’s nuclear programme for years, according to Israeli military sources.

It is believed Israel would call on its top special forces brigade, Unit 262 — the equivalent of the SAS — and the F-15I strategic 69 Squadron, which can strike Iran and return to Israel without refuelling.

The Sunday Times speculates:

The date set for possible Israeli strikes on Iran also coincides with Israel's general election on March 28, prompting speculation that Sharon may be sabre-rattling for votes.

Benjamin Netanyahu, the frontrunner to lead Likud into the elections, said that if Sharon did not act against Iran, "then when I form the new Israeli government, we'll do what we did in the past against Saddam's reactor, which gave us 20 years of tranquillity".

Poor France had to say buh-bye to the Osirak reactor they built and sold to Saddam.

Russia last week signed an estimated $1 billion contract — its largest since 2000 — to sell Iran advanced Tor-M1 systems capable of destroying guided missiles and laser-guided bombs from aircraft.

“Once the Iranians get the Tor-M1, it will make our life much more difficult,” said an Israeli air force source. “The installation of this system can be relatively quick and we can’t waste time on this one.”

Is Russia an ally? They seem to be bringing this to a head while US troops are literally next door to Iran. Another Cold War? Perhaps Bush should reconsider his "I looked into his [Putin] soul" remark. <_<

Iran is not pleased:

The [iranian foreign] minister, Manouchehr Mottaki, held talks with leaders of Hamas, Islamic Jihad and Hezbollah in Damascus on November 15....Seven days after the talks, Hezbollah fired a volley of rockets and mortars at Israeli targets, sparking the fiercest fighting between the two sides since Israel’s withdrawal from south Lebanon five years ago.

Oh boy. What if Israel is unsuccessful in their mission? Iran will likely counter with nukes. They could possibly wipe a tiny country like Israel off the map.

Will Israel counter Iran's nuclear strike with their own nukes? Although never having admitted it, Israel is strongly suspected of having nukes.

How will the Iranian people react? I know that the general population is pro-American and despises the Mad Mullahs, but what are their feelings towards Israel?

Godspeed Israel. I wish you luck. I can't magine what it would be like to be surrounded by countries who desire nothing but your total destruction. Your very existence may rely on this mission being completed 100% successfully. Don't worry about the condemnation of the UN and Europe--both hate you with a purple passion already. Remember that you have a friend in President Bush--who refused to meet Yassir Arafat, unlike a certain other president who invited Arafat to the White House 14 times (more than any other foreign leader)--and the USA.

Read the whole article. It's 2 pages but a fairly quick read.