Saskatchewan Roughrider - sex charges

RB

REGINA (CP) - The Saskatchewan Roughriders were struggling to cope Saturday with the shocking blow of sex charges being laid against middle linebacker Trevis Smith at the same time that RCMP announced he is HIV-positive.
SURREY, B.C. (CP) Police said in a news release that anyone who may have had sexual contact with him and is concerned about exposure to HIV should immediately see their doctor or go to a clinic for testing

usually information about privacy and HIV is personal but in this case they believe it to be in the public health interest

Dear RB,

I do believe that 'knowingly having unprotected sex while HIV+' is a criminal offence. The police did have a legitimate reason to make the information public. They could, ostensibly, prevent further 'criminal acts', and potentially save a life.

usually information about privacy and HIV is personal but in this case they believe it to be in the public health interest

Dear RB,

I do believe that 'knowingly having unprotected sex while HIV+' is a criminal offence. The police did have a legitimate reason to make the information public. They could, ostensibly, prevent further 'criminal acts', and potentially save a life.

oh and here I thought it was about the insidious culture promoted about ganging up and assulting women, and that entire team might have been affected

Dear RB,
oh and here I thought it was about the insidious culture promoted about ganging up and assulting women, and that entire team might have been affected
I am afraid I don't understand what point you are trying to make.

The number of incidences with regards to assault on women with football players increases during the football season. The so called myth about group assault on women is also reality - we will never know the true statistics unless women are brave enough to report these cases.

Dear RB,

The number of incidences with regards to assault on women with football players increases during the football season. The so called myth about group assault on women is also reality - we will never know the true statistics unless women are brave enough to report these cases.

This is a sick disgrace. If he was screwing around and knew he was HIV-positive then he should be jailed for a long time.

I have read about this in the papers and am dumbfounded. If you are that inconsiderate, wait, that cruel and self-centred then we have a right as a society to ostracize you from the community.

On the other hand, if he didn't know then I would cut him some slack but still punish him for any abuse/assault that may have occurred...shame.

Dear RB,

This is a sick disgrace. If he was screwing around and knew he was HIV-positive then he should be jailed for a long time.

I have read about this in the papers and am dumbfounded. If you are that inconsiderate, wait, that cruel and self-centred then we have a right as a society to ostracize you from the community.

On the other hand, if he didn't know then I would cut him some slack but still punish him for any abuse/assault that may have occurred...shame.

Not only a disgrace, he is free on $10,000 bail and ordered to practice safe sex.

He was also ordered not be alone with any female under the age of 14 - why is this so

Not only a disgrace, he is free on $10,000 bail and ordered to practice safe sex.

He was also ordered not be alone with any female under the age of 14 - why is this so

That is such bull. You know, I am beginning to wonder if our justice system can be saved.

tml12,Nov 7 2005, 05:07 PM]

That is such bull. You know, I am beginning to wonder if our justice system can be saved.

The health folks are proactive though. THe Canadian Public Health Association is sending facts about HIV and HIV safety in the workplace, info is going out to all 9 CFL clubs.

tml12,Nov 7 2005, 05:07 PM]

The health folks are proactive though. THe Canadian Public Health Association is sending facts about HIV and HIV safety in the workplace, info is going out to all 9 CFL clubs.

At least they are doing something...

It's a seldom discussed but widely known fact of professional sports that there's an element of women who make themselves available to the athletes following games (to put it as politely as possible.)

The appeal is obvious... the athletes, generally, have some degree of fame, great bodies, and lots of money. Certain women seek them out. A CFL broadcaster and former player (I forget which one, it might have been Darren Flutie) was asked about the situation in an interview, and said, basically, that when the players go to clubs after games, there's a group of women there looking for them, and each city has its "regulars"... the same women going to the same nightclubs after CFL games.

I once saw an internet forum for... "rink rats" ... girls interested in getting with hockey players. They compared scorecards, exchanged tips on which places were the best places to find players, kept track of which hotels teams stay at when they're in town, discussed which players were good or not very good sexual partners, discussed which players like to party and which ones won't pick up a girl, discussed the players' "equipment"... all the information one would need to go out and pick up players. It was a little amusing, yet quite disturbing all at once. And no doubt the players compare notes as to which clubs the puck-bunnies like to go to as well.

I don't doubt that in some cases there are sexual assaults, as RB posits. However, I'd suggest that in most cases the women know what they're doing. I doubt many of them are under the impression that they're meeting a future husband when they meet a pro athlete for a quickie in a hotel-room.

Other CFL players should be worried. And not about getting infected through some bizarre on-field accident where they somehow exchange blood with Travis Smith. They should be worried if they're part of the group that goes to clubs looking for football groupies. If it's the same women over and over looking for players, then chances are pretty good that some of Travis Smith's sexual partners have been with a whole bunch of other players too. The same interviewee (Darren Flutie, I think) said "if people think Travis Smith is the only guy in the CFL with HIV, they're being naive."

Anyway, the whole situation is a somewhat disturbing and sad example of how seedy human behavior can be. I agree with people who say that if Travis Smith knew he had HIV and continued having unprotected sex, he should be charged with aggravated assault or attempted murder or something along those lines.

-k

A Roughrider came see me about 2 years ago

Apparently as a female you were suppose to be:

- Gawking, staring

- realize who this person is as in instant fame

- discover startling things

- celebrate physical prowess

- drown in gorgeousness

Just amazing, where did they get this from I wonder, because it is obvious, or they are brainwashed on their sexuality

It doesn't stop the rascal from trying their tricks - so I did question immediately

- money in the bank? liquid and capital

- number of partners? since they are notorious

- size?

The important things that matters to a girl

er the money wasn't enough :lol: