Road lanes turned over to bicycles

Should we accommodate bicycles more on our roads?  

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bridge bike lanes get green light

Vancouver city council has voted overwhelmingly to close two of the six lanes on the Burrard Street Bridge to motor vehicles – turning them into dedicated bike lanes.

The closure will begin next April on a one-year trial basis. But it will be reviewed after six months.

Council's decision follows a public hearing Tuesday morning which heard strong opposition to a city staff recommendation to widen the outside of the old bridge – to accommodate cyclists and pedestrians.

This is brilliant strategy on behalf of a very courageous Vancouver council which will no doubt ensure their re-election this November. Finally we have a city council listening to the people in their city. As far as I am concerned we are definitely overgoverned, and we need to abolish the useless provincial governments. Muncipal and federal governments are all we need in this great land of ours.

Vancouver city council has voted overwhelmingly to close two of the six lanes on the Burrard Street Bridge to motor vehicles – turning them into dedicated bike lanes.

I've only been to vancouver a few times, so I really can't comment on the layout there. In most prairie provinces, urban sprawl is simply far too great for bicycles to ever become a major source of transportation for very many people.

Ottawa is by far the best city to bicycle in, in Canada, and you can skate to work in the Winter. Can you get snow tires for a bike? Now that I live in an area that is 99% snow free, I don't think to inquire about such things.

Interestingly enough, following the London tube attacks, bicycle sales have skyrocketed in London.

We really do need to give a serious push to our city planners to accommodate this mode of pollution free transportation. Skating in the Winter, and kayaking are other healthy methods to travel as well. I have heard that those who drive to work are 5-10 pounds heavier than those who use other methods of transportation.