Police arrest 34 in drug raids

MONTREAL -- Officers from Quebec and the United States arrested 34 people and seized a helicopter and vehicles in raids Wednesday to bust an international marijuana trafficking ring.

RCMP, Quebec provincial police and officers from the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency raided homes, businesses and farms in the Eastern Townships and in an area southeast of Montreal.

Those arrested were believed to be linked to organized crime and some face charges of drug possession, trafficking and gangsterism, said police.

The ring is accused of exporting marijuana to the northeastern United States.

About a dozen of those arrested will be extradited to the United States where they will charged under American drug laws, said Jason Gauthier, a spokesman for Quebec provincial police.

Police seized 63 guns, a helicopter, marijuana and other goods valued at over $5 million.

Police said that the trafficking ring had planted marijuana in corn fields to disguise their activities.

Over 300 officers participated in the operation.

Was the USA police participating in this raid in Canada or the USA? If they were in Canada my question is WTF are they doing on OUR soil? Another question is why in hell are we extraditing Canadians, that were arrested in Canada, to the USA for criminal prosecution? Did Harper become PM while I was sleeping?

Was the USA police participating in this raid in Canada or the USA?  If they were in Canada my question is WTF are they doing on OUR soil?  Another question is why in hell are we extraditing Canadians, that were arrested in Canada, to the USA for criminal prosecution?  Did Harper become PM while I was sleeping?

I didn't think that we could go into Canada even to make international drug arrests, unless it was a cooperative effort.

Although we did stroll into Iraq with nobody's permission.

<Sarcasm alert>

Obviously with all of those different police agencies involved it was in fact a cooperative operation. Why would they extradite them to the US for prosecution? Because the drugs were being smuggled into the United States who for good reason takes a pretty dim view of trafficking in any illicit drug, unlike Canada who would probably sentence a major trafficker to house arrest so that jail does not interfere with their ability to continue brreaking the law (I think those convicted would call it simply making a living).

Our justice system is the laughing stack of the world, no wonder international criminals like Canada, when we elect thieves and liars to run our country.

Our justice system is the laughing stack of the world, no wonder international criminals like Canada, when we elect thieves and liars to run our country.

What a rediculous statement. None of our elected leaders are thieves except in the imagination of conservative supporters. This is a perfect example of why the conservatives are down in the polls - Canadians are getting tired of these kinds of exagerations and outright deceptions coming from the conservative party supporters.

Don't you think this sets a slippery precedent? Crime comitted here should be prosecuted here.

If smugglers are caught on USA soil then for sure prosecute them in the USA. If crime is being comitted in Canada (grow ops), caught in Canada then it is our responsibility to prosecute them.

I agree that a Canadian, committing a crime on Canadian soil should be tried in Canada.

But hey, since the USA has come down so hard on even the smalest grow-ops, maybe they're starting to feel left out because they're not able to make any big busts down there. So, to satiate their appetite, they're trying to break into the market up here :P

What a rediculous statement. None of our elected leaders are thieves except in the imagination of conservative supporters. This is a perfect example of why the conservatives are down in the polls - Canadians are getting tired of these kinds of exagerations and outright deceptions coming from the conservative party supporters.

At least you're willing to admit that they are liars! :lol:

Was the USA police participating in this raid in Canada or the USA?  If they were in Canada my question is WTF are they doing on OUR soil?  Another question is why in hell are we extraditing Canadians, that were arrested in Canada, to the USA for criminal prosecution?  Did Harper become PM while I was sleeping?

I agree, Fortunata. If we can't protect our criminals and mafia and drug lords what kind of country will we be!? This is a sort of brain drain! We're letting our best criminals be sent south to be housed in American prisons! Why can't we keep them in our prisons instead! If we would only spend more than the current $70,000 per prisoner per year we might be able to keep some of these people here instead of having them lured south to where the big bucks and sentences are!

This is the kind of thing which I know infuriates Paul Martin. Every year he plays games with the budget surplus, trying to hide the money. He could be spending tens of millions more on prisons, and instead we're letting the US pay for it! How crazy is that!?

I think we should go to war with the Americans over this, personally. Well, if we had an army.

What a rediculous statement. None of our elected leaders are thieves except in the imagination of conservative supporters.

How do you define theft? We pay our taxes, willingly or unwillingly, and have the right to assume that our money, OUR money, will be spent on neccessary services which will benefit the country. If it's spent instead on things which offer no benefit to the country, but benefit only the Liberal party, isn't that theft? Where is it written that the party in power can use our hard-earned money however they please?

In my view, if you're using a government jet for personal use you're stealing from the taxpayer. Junkets overseas to relax in the sun are stealing as well.

In the current context, the money which was siphoned off into the pockets of Liberal bagment and used to pay LIberal campaign workers was outright theft, and I think everyone recognizes that, even though many of you are trying to pretend this was an isolated case among a few bottom feeders in the Liberal Party. I don't think it was isolated, and I'm quite sure that at the very least Chretien, Martin, and every single senior cabinet minister knew about it, as well as all of the party's non elected hierarchy.

But let's look at two other cases.

1 In Bongadoland, General For Life Butswana goes into the treasury and takes a big carton of money out, a million dollars, and gives it to his friend for loyalty. Theft? Sure.

2 In Canada, Jean Chretien makes up a pretend job, which he calls "Ambassador to the Environment", which pays $220,000 per year, then appoints his friend Gil Parent to the job for a five year term. The job involves almost no duties (which is good since Parent has no knowledge, of or interest in environmental issues) except very occasional trips to places like Paris, London, Brisbane, Tokyo, where he has to stay at 5 star hotels, eat in 5 star restaurants and attend assorted parties. Theft? Sure. We just don't call it that.

And I suppose you think the present American Government is honest and truthful and trustworthy?????????

Sure we have bad Government here. We've always had porkbarrelling from the top, middle and bottom levels. Everything Governments do, from city Governments, Regional, Provincial, Federal, get high cocts because someone at every level has to line their pockets.

But in Canada our liers dont start wars, invade other countries without provocation, steal oil, and make laws that protect another country over our own like Washington does.

Want better Government, get more involved. Everyone needs to get involved, voicefully, all the time. We need to have laws inplaced that make officials every bit as legally responsible for their actions as anyone else is. If every voting aged Canuck was involved and outspoken enough, in time we would get a Government of the people again.

Sir Chauncy

What a rediculous statement. None of our elected leaders are thieves except in the imagination of conservative supporters.

I think many in Ottawa are thieves. Certainly Martin is, Chretien is (was) and most others as well.

I voted Liberal in Mulroonys second run because I hated that lying sellout , even if I was staunch PC back then.

But I am NDP today.

With all the scandals and dislike for todays Conservatibves and the crooked Liberals I cannot understand why such low rating are still there for the NDP. They really are our only real alternative now.

Sir Chauncy

I think many in Ottawa are thieves. Certainly Martin is, Chretien is (was) and most others as well.

I voted Liberal in Mulroonys second run because I hated that lying sellout , even if I was staunch PC back then.

But I am NDP today.

With all the scandals and dislike for todays Conservatibves and the crooked Liberals I cannot understand why such low rating are still there for the NDP. They really are our only real alternative now.

Sir Chauncy

• 5 weeks later...

I was under the impression if you do something like this (crimes in different nations) then you get seperate trials and sentances in the different nations. What does it matter if the US gets first crack?

I don't think they just walked over the border mr slayer. If there were 300+ officers involved, thats alot of manpower. For something this big, the Canadian cops probably asked for some help. Especially since the drugs were being sold south of the border.

Don't you think this sets a slippery precedent?  Crime comitted here should be prosecuted here.

If smugglers are caught on USA soil then for sure prosecute them in the USA.  If crime is being comitted in Canada (grow ops), caught in Canada then it is our responsibility to prosecute them.

If someone was smuggling drugs into Canada from Colombia, do you think they should be charged under Colombian law or Canadan law?

Hello............

The growop was in Canada, illegal under Canadian law, the persons charged were Canadian AND those same people were apprehended IN CANADA!!

Those charged weren't caught smuggling the m.j. across the border, they weren't caught once over the border, they were caught in this country.

Do you think that if a Canadian were charged with murdering an American in the USA, they (Americans) would send the murderer to Canada to be prosecuted? I think not.

if a person is caught committing a crime in any country, they should be tried in eth country they are caught in, then deported to be held ender the law of their own country until their penalty is complete. except in the case wher the death penalty would be used, where they sholud be immediately deported to serve a life sentence at home.

upon completion of that punishment, their countyr of origin may tyr them as they please to their own law

Hello............

The growop was in Canada, illegal under Canadian law, the persons charged were Canadian AND those same people were apprehended IN CANADA!! 

Those charged weren't caught smuggling the m.j. across the border, they weren't caught once over the border, they were caught in this country. 

Do you think that if a Canadian were charged with murdering an American in the USA, they (Americans) would send the murderer to Canada to be prosecuted?  I think not.

Link? I've heard nothing about this.