medical paranoia, above average?

Does today's medical community use more paranoia than actual fact to garner it's sucess?

With so many antidepressant drugs appearing on shelves everywhere its no wonder the depression rate is gaining. the tiniest inkling of "not feeling so well" can be assigned to something as big as clinical depression. Clinical depression is a problem and these drugs probably do help solve it for the people it plagues, but paranoia about said depression and enough prior knowledge can lead to someones subconcious manifesting these exact problems.

Does the medical community deal too lightly with these problems and is information about them readily available for our good or for theirs?

Ok, let's try this. Have we as a society become so selfish and obsessed with our chemical hapiness to garner the pharmaceutical companies complete neglect of other more important issues. This may be pushing a bit far considering science in north america has always diverted from big things like aids and cancer into menial branches for things like seedless fruit (RIDICULOUS, but yes convenient) and hair restoration therapies (no offense but life and death seems monumental compared to self esteem issues associated with hair loss, its character building, get a toupee theyre always a hit). So the bigger question I guess is are pharmaceutical companies too focused on trivial things, but then already i see a flaw, the companies are commercial and depend on our needs and insecurities to survive and as long as we are human beings with senses we will respond in some way to their advertisements and to the judgements of others, whatever it takes to necessitate the use of a pill or a chemical quick-fix. This would be demanding far too much from or society, I say this including myself, I know that i am not immune to shiny posters and pretty tunes. can someone help me out on this? I don't even know if I have a case or a point to argue. I am losing conviction someone please stop me.