Potter: The Conservatives ... the party of the deeply stupid

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/opinion/columnists/Policy+neuronally+challenged/6029379/story.html

Andrew Potter's most recent article once again shows that the Conservatives have absolutely no interest in facts and reality, but rather pushing an ideological agenda. Clement rolled out the "one-for-one" rule in the Red Tape Report. A painfully stupid rule that requires a regulation to be scrapped for every new one implemented, without any framework for determining what regulations are worth keeping or scrapping. Potter illustrates the point: "This emphasis on the absolute numbers of rules, as opposed to their relative effectiveness, is just as brainless as the old Soviet practice of treating hours worked or widgets produced as the mark of economic growth."

We just might be living through the worst government in the history of our nation.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andrew Potter is a Canadian newspaperman and author, best known outside Canada for co-authoring The Rebel Sell, with Joseph Heath.

Born in Teulon, Manitoba, Potter attended Glebe Collegiate Institute in Ottawa, before earning a BA in Philosophy at McGill University, then MA and Ph.D. degrees in philosophy at the University of Toronto.

:lol:

:lol:

For those outside Ottawa who wouldn't know, the Glebe is Ottawa's home of the trendy, the desperately fashionable and oh-so politically correct. It is the home of the gucci wearing granola cruncher set.

Small wonder someone growing up there would become a philosophy major and would disdain conservatives.

What's so funny? That he has a better education than you or that he wrote a book criticizing "culture jamming" from groups like AdBusters? That latter point makes him conservative by some estimations, yet he still thinks your party is acting stuipdly.

Better education? :lol:

PhD in philosophy = $100,000 toilet paper. :lol:

Ad hominems are the tools of those obviously incapable of tackling arguments.

I'm sorry, but did the guy who just started a thread with the gleeful title that Conservatives are the party of the deeply stupid actually have the balls to complain about ad hominems?

Just what kind of response did you expect?

He's a published author with a book that hit many bestsellers lists and an accomplished journalist. I think he's doing alright. I also doubt he smiles stupidy in smug, unwarranted satisfaction at the end of every sentence he writes.

For those outside Ottawa who wouldn't know, the Glebe is Ottawa's home of the trendy, the desperately fashionable and oh-so politically correct. It is the home of the gucci wearing granola cruncher set.

Small wonder someone growing up there would become a philosophy major and would disdain conservatives.

I've spent much of my life in Ottawa and know all about the Glebe. It's a breeding ground for hippies.

Edited by CPCFTW

Apparently so. You'd think someone with a PHD would have a better vocabulary and a better means of expressing his disdain for people than calling them 'stupid'.

I'm sorry, but did the guy who just started a thread with the gleeful title that Conservatives are the party of the deeply stupid actually have the balls to complain about ad hominems?

Just what kind of response did you expect?

The title of the thread is out of the opening sentence of the article. You see when a title has a person's name and a colon, it's usually a quote attributed to that person. Potter also goes on to outline the sheer stupidity of the Conservatives and Clement in particular, so it's anything but an ad hominem.

He's a published author with a book that hit many bestsellers lists and an accomplished journalist. I think he's doing alright. I also doubt he smiles stupidy in smug, unwarranted satisfaction at the end of every sentence he writes.

Sure he's doing fine. He's doing fine because the lefty sheep lap up his "progressive" thoughts. :lol:

Philosophy PhD's provide absolutely no economic benefits to society. They derive their incomes from churning out lefty sheep in universities, and providing the lefty sheep with a figurehead to parrot their arguments from. :lol:

Doesn't mean he has a good education or that I want him making decisions about Canadian jobs and the economy. :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Edited by CPCFTW

Sure he's doing fine. He's doing fine because the lefty sheep lap up his "progressive" thoughts. :lol:

You mean the leftist sheep he criticized for Culture Jamming in his book? Those leftist sheep?

Doesn't mean he has a good education or that I want him making decisions about Canadian jobs and the economy. :lol:

No? University of Toronto and McGill University don't provide a good education?

Stick to posting smilies. It's about the smartest thing that comes off your keyboard.

Edited by cybercoma

No? University of Toronto and McGill University don't provide a good education?

They sure do... In real fields.

I took 2 philosophy courses in university and got 100% in one and like 95% in the other. I studied maybe for 30 minutes before every test and a couple hours before the final exam. It is a joke of a field.

IMO they hand out A+'s like candy to lure the lefty sheep in and make them feel intellectually superior to the "masses" who work their asses off for A's and B's in business, engineering, and science.

Edited by CPCFTW

The title of the thread is out of the opening sentence of the article. You see when a title has a person's name and a colon, it's usually a quote attributed to that person. Potter also goes on to outline the sheer stupidity of the Conservatives and Clement in particular, so it's anything but an ad hominem.

If you can't recognize an ad hominem as obvious as 'stupid' than your education was even worse than his.

And the fact you managed to find some columnist calling conservative supporters stupid is no reason to post it here as a topic title. I'm sure I can find columnists calling liberal supporters all sorts of names too, but posting taunting threads on it would still be flame bait.

I think I just figured out why Cybercoma is so offended about me denigrating a philosophy education:

Using people as a means to an end, rather than treating them as ends in themselves is considered unethical according to Kant. Sex should not be treated as a "favour". Go masturbate.

Looks like MLW has another sucker who bought some $100,000 toilet paper. :lol:

(FYI this is Cybercoma arguing that persuading a female to have sex with you is rape because Kant says it is unethical). :lol:

Edited by CPCFTW

They sure do... In real fields.

I took 2 philosophy courses in university and got 100% in one and like 95% in the other. I studied maybe for 30 minutes before every test and a couple hours before the final exam. It is a joke of a field.

IMO they hand out A+'s like candy to lure the lefty sheep in and make them feel intellectually superior to the "masses" who work their asses off for A's and B's in business, engineering, and science.

Well that settles it. Your experience in 2 philosophy courses (at what University again?) is the perfect argument for indicting the entire discipline.

If you can't recognize an ad hominem as obvious as 'stupid' than your education was even worse than his.

And the fact you managed to find some columnist calling conservative supporters stupid is no reason to post it here as a topic title. I'm sure I can find columnists calling liberal supporters all sorts of names too, but posting taunting threads on it would still be flame bait.

He's calling the supporters stupid? Didn't read the article did you?

I think I just figured out why Cybercoma is so offended about me denigrating a philosophy education:

Looks like MLW has another sucker who bought some $100,000 toilet paper. :lol:

(FYI this is Cybercoma arguing that persuading a female to have sex with you is rape because Kant says it is unethical). :lol:

So you need a philosophy degree to know about Kant's categorical imperative? Now I'm really wondering what kind of education you got because obviously it was incomplete.

Well that settles it. Your experience in 2 philosophy courses (at what University again?) is the perfect argument for indicting the entire discipline.

I can assure you that the University I attended was a leader in philosophical thought... unfortunately. :lol:

There's not much to learn in Philosophy. First learn a bunch of ideas of dead old guys, then apply those ideas to the real world. Then deride anyone who disagrees with you by listing as many fallacies as you can.

Edited by CPCFTW

So you need a philosophy degree to know about Kant's categorical imperative? Now I'm really wondering what kind of education you got because obviously it was incomplete.

No education is complete without Kant's categorical imperative!! :lol:

Where do you guys come up with this stuff? :lol:

For the record I did learn that garbage and then I promptly forgot as much of it as I could 5 minutes after the final exam (you know, the exam I got 100% on after studying for an hour?)

You're either a philosophy student or you're still in university, because I can assure you that 5 years after graduating from anything other than Arts you won't be remembering Kant's categorical imperative. :lol:

Edited by CPCFTW