Jasper Schuringa, Flying Dutchman and Hero

jbg

This is where the rubber meets the road on heroism.

BY Rich Schapiro

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

First came a popping noise. Then, Dutch filmmaker Jasper Schuringa saw smoke rising from several seats away inside Northwest Flight 253.

In a flash, Schuringa climbed over the seats and pounced on a terrorist, who was in flames and trying to blow up the plane over Detroit.

"I didn't think," Schuringa said Saturday. "I just went over there to try to save the plane."

Schuringa, his right hand in bandages, described his heroic takedown of Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab on the same day the Al Qaeda-linked terrorist was charged with trying to blow up the jet.

Schuringa told CNN the flight from Amsterdam was uneventful until it prepared to land in Detroit.

Suddenly, the calm was splintered by a series of pops similar to firecrackers. A few seconds later, he saw smoke billowing from the fellow passenger's body.

"When I saw the suspect, that he was getting on fire, I freaked," Schuringa said. "Without any hesitation, I just jumped over all the seats."

Chaos erupted as the flying Dutchman grabbed the fiery suspect and frantically searched him for explosives.

(snip)