Usa's New Friend And Possible Favoured Trading Par

"From USA today Aug 1 2003

"Polish troops leave to repay debt"

"About 2,000 Polish soldiers left Thursday for Iraq after President Kwasniewski told them they have a "political and moral debt" to pay to the west from decades of communist rule. "We are not a world power. We are not looking for easy profits, nor access to oil." he told the soldiers. Poland will be in charge of a 9,200 strong division in central Iraq made up of troops from 22 nations."

KK

If I recall they also sent a few hundred troops during the war as well. Sure wish we had've. Also from the same paper:

"US probes new leads on weapons"

"Iraqi scientists and documents from Saddam's regime are leading investigators to new sites suspected of being part of Iraq's program to produce banned weapons."

"The active deception program is truely amazing once you get inside it," said Advisor Donald Kay "We have people who participated in decieving UN inspectors now telling us how they did it. It is not something that is easy to unwrap."

KK

Jury's still out. Lots of time to still insert foot in mouth.

Poland, unlike Canada, is a real country. It is a beacon of hope in Europe. One of the very few on that corrupt continent.

And that Pole in Rome is also setting a great example for the world, as he stands for decency.

Poland also has the toughest anti-abortion laws in the world. And the lowest abortion rate.

its funny watching you guys try to soothe your discontent by pretending that one gesture makes an ally. For all you know they might never see combat, or they may get so bloodied they get called back, or they may be so ill-trained they dont contribute.

And i would just LOVE to see internationally aware americans suddenly respect and build strong ties to thier strong ally of Poland.

a real ally would point out the american government lied and fear mongered to invade iraq. and americans are mis informed about even the simplist facts of terrorism, with large sections incorrectly believing that Iraq had a direct role in 9/11 and stockpiles of WMDs had been found.

Do you think poland will sell the US lots of oil?

SirRiff

its funny watching you guys try to soothe your discontent by pretending that one gesture makes an ally. For all you know they might never see combat, or they may get so bloodied they get called back, or they may be so ill-trained they dont contribute.

Not discontent Riff, envy. For Canada to send a medical unit on the ground would mean a lot. I deal with Americans day to day and like it or not they all back the troops and whether they are for or against they all want allies. We were not an ally. Not an ally to your peace buddies who had family there nor my war pals. In short, none of us were there. I hope they will not get bloodied as they are brave men from a brave country showing their true coulors; aiding a freind. I envy them because they have proved they are friends with a country that has nothing to do with them save purpose. Hoping they can make the world a safer place.

However misguided or wrong, they stand for something. More than waffeling Canada does. In a confused bar fight you must side with your best friend, if you don't then better find new freinds amogst the crowd that is too scared to back anybody up, and in a hurry because the world is a big ugly place.

And i would just LOVE to see internationally aware americans suddenly respect and build strong ties to thier strong ally of Poland.

They may not be big but rest assured Poland will be able to old her head up when the stuff goes downhill for her, especially around the EU tables.

a real ally would point out the american government lied and fear mongered to invade iraq. and americans are mis informed about even the simplist facts of terrorism, with large sections incorrectly believing that Iraq had a direct role in 9/11 and stockpiles of WMDs had been found.

America then had many allies such as the ones you speak of Including AL Queda, Iraq, France, Germany, Russia and Canada. They have welcomed inputs on terrorism from many sources including people and scientists who are now just beginning to speak in Iraq. The real search for the pieces of the whole puzzle are just begining. Before your chickens are counted you should wait till the eggs are even laid.

One last question; if in two years, five or whatever the US admits that nothing was ever found in Iraq in the way of WMD, will you hate Poland? Will you go on and on about how they were duped and should be ostricized in the economic and political world? Doubt it. Rest assured though that if they ever need anything, one single thing, they will get it from the USA. Noble Canada though will pay full fare. BC (Bring Cash)

Do you think poland will sell the US lots of oil?

Still working on the oil falicy? The price hasn't plumetted yet and the supply lines are as secure as they were a decade ago. So where is the purpose in that?

• 5 weeks later...

OK, this is coming from a Pole : It seems that lots of people hold their country in contempt, or if contempt is too strong a word, seem to idealise other places, sometimes as distant as Poland. Poland has its problems, corruption, slow economic growth, unemployment and murky politics among them. Sound familiar? i bet everyone could sign their name under that while describing his/her country, be it Canada, Poland, USA, heck even France and Germany. There is a large opposition to our presence in Iraq, even thou it didnt reach propotions of protests in other "old Europe" countries. The feeling that we ought to go there is common, because thats what a good ally would do (naive? I suppose we are out of touch with reality... uppss, i mean, "Real Politik") . Theres slight problem with that, however. We dont share the border with US. Worse still, we got Germans to the left and Russians to the right - this has always been our curse. It has also been our curse that we never really knew how to profit from that. over 75% of our trade is with EU. Next May we will be joining that club, and it would seem logical if we tried to listen to what others got to say. Instead we seem to do our best to antagonise our neigbours. It is a gamble which can pay off, but then again we can get ourselfs in quite a mess.

This is my first post here so I'd like to take this opportunity to say hello to everyone here :D I suppose this is pretty apparent that this thread made me sign on this thing. but I like the way in which discussions here are conducted so I will gladly contribute, if I gain your acceptance, that is :D