Time to Face Facts

Time to Face Facts

Has green living become a national priority?

I found some interesting facts in a National Geographic magazine from May, a few years ago. The issue had a big article on climate change and how our studies and models were not certain, but there are some facts that everyone agrees on. As the wet get wetter and the dry get drier, we are seeing some facts emerge.

Oceans serve as a vast 'sink' for carbon dioxide (but we're unsure how this happens)

Human activity releases about 7 billion tons of carbon (on the form of CO2) into the atmosphere every year, adding to the 750 billion tons already there.

Only about half our emmisions stay in the air, and the rest is taken up by terrestrial and marine plants, buried in ocean sediments, absorbed in seawater, or otherwise sequestered.

The ocean apparently removes at least 2 billion tons from the atmosphere each year.

Volcanic eruptions and burning sulfur bearing coal can reduce the effects of global warming temporarilty.

The IPCC (Intergovernment Panel on Climate Change), sponsored by the UN, estimates that rising CO2 emissions, mostly from burning fossil fuels, account for about 60 % of the warming observed since 1850.

Carbon Dioxide concentration is about 30% higher than it was before the industrial revolution.

I could go on, but the point is that we have had a negative impact on our earth. As we reduce our role in the consumption of our natural resources, we ensure a higher quality of life for ourselves and our children.

By using one flourescent lightbulb, turning our lights out when we leave the room, lowering the temperature on our water heaters, insulating our homes better, composting, reusing, and doing all the other little thing that don't seem to make a big difference we can combine our efforts to have a cumulative effect.

This IS a political issue, as most parties talk a big environmental game but don't show up to play. The NDP and the Green Party both have the environment high on their list of priorities, and personnaly I prefer the Green Party as they are fiscally conservative.

I'm happy to see that Canada is realising the gravity of this situation.

This IS a political issue, as most parties talk a big environmental game but don't show up to play. The NDP and the Green Party both have the environment high on their list of priorities, and personnaly I prefer the Green Party as they are fiscally conservative.

I'm happy to see that Canada is realising the gravity of this situation.

Last election, environmental groups rated the NDP as "greener than the Green Party".

I do have a problem with the Green Party's stance of raising energy prices to reduce energy useage.... What about those who can no longer afford to heat their homes.... If you support Conservative ideology, this fact may not hold much importance to you, but to me, it is important that we don't freeze our poor.

The Green Party doesn't intend to freeze our poor. At my income I'm considered to be living below the poverty line, and 'm running for the Green Party. Through carefull review of their platform and policies one can see that what the Green Party is doing is reducing our reliance on fossil fuels and increasing incentives to use alternative energy sources.

At the same time, they will be restructuring taxation to lower taxes for low incomes, and raise them for the rich elite, and big corporations.

Many famililies can't afford energy as it is, so doing nothing is obviously not a solution.

I think that we Canadians can and will find a way to clean up our acts and reduce energy useage.

Cameron W

There are certain principles that I agree with on the Green party overall..but i do not vote for a "issue" party. I vote for a party that on whole meets all my needs.

But with that said, maybe there needs to be some "green" representatives on the Hill to raise the importance of environment issues on a more consistant basis.

The Green Party doesn't intend to freeze our poor. At my income I'm considered to be living below the poverty line, and 'm running for the Green Party. Through carefull review of their platform and policies one can see that what the Green Party is doing is reducing our reliance on fossil fuels and increasing incentives to use alternative energy sources.

At the same time, they will be restructuring taxation to lower taxes for low incomes, and raise them for the rich elite, and big corporations.

Many famililies can't afford energy as it is, so doing nothing is obviously not a solution.

I think that we Canadians can and will find a way to clean up our acts and reduce energy useage.

Cameron W

I wish you well in your quest. I would prefer see green than blue... However, in the past, I've seen them encourage increasing energy costs...

I believe there will be some Green MP's elected in the coming election. People are becoming more confident in this party.

In regards to the policy of raising energy costs, the Green party wants to help ppl get away from fossil fuels. They would introduce incentives to switch to alternative energy sources. Using the carbon tax, they would help foster the switch over to solar & wind power, geo-thermal heating, and other renewable energy sources. This idea comes from the concept of 'true cost economics', where the ecological factor is included in the cost of - in this case - energy. With the reduction of taxes for the lower income Canadians (following their 'green value' of social justice), this party is introducing a refreshing concept in government. It's been working in Germany and other countries, and I figure it's time we Canadians got in charge of our government.

Cameron W

I believe there will be some Green MP's elected in the coming election. People are becoming more confident in this party.

In regards to the policy of raising energy costs, the Green party wants to help ppl get away from fossil fuels. They would introduce incentives to switch to alternative energy sources. Using the carbon tax, they would help foster the switch over to solar & wind power, geo-thermal heating, and other renewable energy sources. This idea comes from the concept of 'true cost economics', where the ecological factor is included in the cost of - in this case - energy. With the reduction of taxes for the lower income Canadians (following their 'green value' of social justice), this party is introducing a refreshing concept in government. It's been working in Germany and other countries, and I figure it's time we Canadians got in charge of our government.

Cameron W

I would love to see the Greens be a national party but I do not see them getting any seats in the next election. Here in Quebec, we have again become so polarized by the sovereignty issue that we don't even hear about the Greens (although last time we did, they were ahead of the Conservatives!!!)

I think I may consider voting Green next time around but until they become part of the national scene and the debate the NDP will continue to be the only pro-environment alternative.

I voted Green in the last election mainly because there wasn't a Bloc rep here and I didn't recognise the Conservative guy. If he can't be bothered to show his face around here, I don't like him. Next time I vote Liberal will be shortly after I lose my mind as I know it.

I was hoping the Bloc would get in so they'd hurry up and separate.

I voted Green in the last election mainly because there wasn't a Bloc rep here and I didn't recognise the Conservative guy. If he can't be bothered to show his face around here, I don't like him. Next time I vote Liberal will be shortly after I lose my mind as I know it.

I was hoping the Bloc would get in so they'd hurry up and separate.

Are you referring to the Bloc we have here? Because we cannot have another referendum until Quebec City calls for one and with the federalists in power now through 2008 that is unlikely to happen until then.

• 2 weeks later...

Cameron W

I would love to see the Greens be a national party but I do not see them getting any seats in the next election. Here in Quebec, we have again become so polarized by the sovereignty issue that we don't even hear about the Greens (although last time we did, they were ahead of the Conservatives!!!)

I think I may consider voting Green next time around but until they become part of the national scene and the debate the NDP will continue to be the only pro-environment alternative.

This coming election will have the Green Party participating. I believe the focus is on a ground campaign, as opposed to a media campaign. The Green Party is a part of the national scene. The Globe & Mail recently reported that they are up from 4% nationally at the last election to an average of 8% ! That's double by my calculations, and I think 8% is a significant amount of people. And that's ppl who WILL vote Green - the numbers for ppl who stated they MAY vote are way higher. I think the media is trying to keep this a hush-hush thing, but they can't help but start covering what the Green Party is doing. I've noticed more media coverage of how the current gov't is promoting green concepts, but I don't really see it happening on a big scale, and I think that's what we need.

Cameron W

Canada is run from the PMO, not from the House of Commons.

The Green Party could elect 50 MPs and it wouldn't make any difference in government policy.

Agreed. Now, if we had an elected head of state with seperate powers from Parliament, the Greens could run a Ralph Nader type character every election cycle. Even if they never won it would garner a lot more press for their ideas that actually winning a couple of back seats at the far end of the Opposition side. On the same note, fellowtraveller's point also backs up my arguments (in other threads, previously) that proportional representation is a crock that does more harm than good. Well done, traveller. You've helped me address two of my pet causes with one agreement.

I want to see changes made to the way Canada is run, and I think if we had a Green government, the things that should be done would be done.

Regardless of what mechanisms are preventing this from happening, I still see it as something that must happen. In all seriousness, the lives of our children and their children depend on our changing the way we are not taking care of our planet.