Funding security at public places

A Liberal government will create a $75-million Communities At Risk program to help fund security measures at ethno-cultural or religious places of worship, educational institutions and community centres, Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion announced today.

“Ensuring the basic security of its citizens is one of the most important functions of any government,” said Mr. Dion.

========

http://www.liberal.ca/story_13818_e.aspx

CTV says the fund is for places that have been previously vandalized.

Religious facilities such as places of worship and community centres that are often targeted by racist vandals would be able to tap into a $75-million fund to beef up security if the Liberals form the next federal government, Leader Stephane Dion said Thursday.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...410?hub=QPeriod

Basically, this is a grants program. I find it difficult to believe that such a plan would end up costing taxpayers a mere $75M. It's a pretty good bet that this money would make its way to the larger cities i.e. Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal.

How would the selection process work? Would recipients need apply? If yes, those applicants who could afford professional services to prepare their submissions would have the upper hand. Others not so lucky but as deserving may not be able to submit applications to truly reflect their security needs.

I'm not sold on the merits of this type of funding but it sure looks good on paper.

CTV says the fund is for places that have been previously vandalized.

Basically, this is a grants program. I find it difficult to believe that such a plan would end up costing taxpayers a mere $75M. It's a pretty good bet that this money would make its way to the larger cities i.e. Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal.

How would the selection process work? Would recipients need apply? If yes, those applicants who could afford professional services to prepare their submissions would have the upper hand. Others not so lucky but as deserving may not be able to submit applications to truly reflect their security needs.

I'm not sold on the merits of this type of funding but it sure looks good on paper.

This is the type of announcement that turns folks off of the Liberals. It's pandering at its worse. We have laws on the books to deal with criminal behavior. Enforce those laws.

Dion is out of the Pierre Elliot Asshole school of governing that 'more' is better. Martin had the Liberals moving away from that thinking. We don't need to create another expensive program in which every group will come forward and scream for it's piece of the pie....the pie will need to grow and grow and grow. The Gun Regisry is a lesson in making a cash mountain out of a molehill.