Why was KO2 banned?

Guest coot

I'm just curious why KO2 got banned, because from the posts I've read, he didn't seem to be terribly insulting or unruly.

Though he did seem a little insane. Anyone who makes 143 posts in five days has to be a little obsessive-compulsive.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just curious why KO2 got banned, because from the posts I've read, he didn't seem to be terribly insulting or unruly.

Though he did seem a little insane. Anyone who makes 143 posts in five days has to be a little obsessive-compulsive.

Best not to ask why, though some bannings appear quite arbitrary.

Why was KO2 banned?
-- failure to follow forum rules.

There really is nothing more that should be discussed publicly about any one particular member. Even banned members should be afforded that courtesy.

--

Just a few general recommendations:

- when the forum Administrator and Moderator give you a warning, follow that warning

- warnings are delivered through the internal Personal Messaging system of the forum, not on a silver platter

- if it is possible to post within the forum, it is possible to read Personal Messages

- messages should be checked regularly by clicking on the New Messages link in the top right-hand corner of the page

The discussion in the forums should not degrade until all members have checked their messages.

- warnings are delivered through the internal Personal Messaging system of the forum, not on a silver platter
I believe that new Messages open as a separate box when a poster logs on. It would be impossible to miss it. (There is also an email sent separately.)

I have argued in the past that any poster should be warned before being banned, and a temporatry ban is preferable to permanent ban.

IMV, the gratuitous, personal insults are far too high now on this forum. There is no need to belittle an opponent in debate. It is uncivilized, and also boring.

• Forum Admin
I have argued in the past that any poster should be warned before being banned, and a temporatry ban is preferable to permanent ban.

KO2 was warned after multiple incidence and he didn't heed the warnings; so he was banned - end of story.

Best not to ask why, though some bannings appear quite arbitrary.

Of course they're going to appear arbitrary, no one other than Charles or myself has access to PM Reports or warning functions of this forum.

Read the rules and guidelines, if you break one of those rules repeatedly and you ignore the warnings, you will be banned. No one, besides spammers or the extremely belligerent, are banned or suspended without warning. If you find yourself suspended or banned, its your own fault. I don't want to do it, actually, I hate do it - but i often have no choice.

What a joke.

Here's what happened to me...

After many weeks of Greg ignoring email and permitting vicious insults to be exchanged dailly on the forum...

One day I posted a link to a video of a woman doing a risque (but not nude) dancing and waving a maple leaf. I thought it was an innocent little joke that was kind of connected because this is "Maple Leaf web".

Sure it wasn't about politics, but it was harmless and did not directly violate any rule or insult anyone.

Other posters got the joke and there was some fun reparte. Then soon that thread was removed. Okay, I figured, it wasn't on topic, but no harm done.

Then, a couple of days later, Greg put the thread back up and banned me without any warning. :wacko:

He totally ignored my subsequent attempt to discuss the matter.

This post will probably be removed and I could well be banned forever, but the point is that Greg's pose of reasonability is quite a stretch. (He does NOT always warn before banning, if he didn't want to ban people, he could have just taken the thread down or disabled the link, and warned me. Clearly, he was very keen to ban me.)

Edited by Figleaf

I remember that thread, and it had nothing to do with politics whatsoever. Some people commented that they stopped the video when she took her shirt off. That kind of nonsense can be posted elsewhere, but not here. So now you're back and the first thing you do is complain about it? Let it go man.

He totally ignored my subsequent attempt to discuss the matter.

This post will probably be removed and I could well be banned forever, but the point is that Greg's pose of reasonability is quite a stretch.

Figleaf, I liked reading your posts here and I hope you continue to post.

I think the message however is that if Charles/Greg/moderator sends anyone a warning, pay attention.

Greg doesn't have time to quibble or get involved in details.

I remember that thread, and it had nothing to do with politics whatsoever. Some people commented that they stopped the video when she took her shirt off. That kind of nonsense can be posted elsewhere, but not here. So now you're back and the first thing you do is complain about it? Let it go man.

Agreed, it wasn't the time or the place for that. Poor judgement, and Greg was justified in his action, easily.

I think you all are missing the point here, it's the same thing jazzer, kuzadd and I were saying on the other thread: the moderating team ignores direct violations of the rules and ignores requests to resolve issues with belligerent posters.... yet someone like Figleaf gets banned without warning for something which is questionable, but does not violate any specific rules of the board.

Yeah fair and balanced..... like Fox News.

Is it a coincidence that all the people who are leaving (myself included, except for the rare posting about the forum itself) are citing the the preferential treatment for people who ascribe to certain opinions as the reason for leaving?

I think not.

Just look around, in Canada, hard-core right-wingers make up roughly 30% of the population. Now compare that to the posters on this forum and tell me this forum is representative of the general population.

I'll give you one guess why that is....

Well Greg and co have a job to do here BC Chick. I did not see what Figleaf posted, but from what I read I can see why they banned her....temporarily. I mean you can always say a warning could have been given, but why make a fuss over it. Figleaf is back.It was not a harsh punishment. I dont know about ignoring emails about bad posters, I dont usually make it my practice to complain about people to the mods. As for KO2 they banned him and there is no reason why the mods should answer to us about it.

You know I was kicked from a chatroom not too long ago, cuz I said to some girls who were bashing Paris Hilton and saying she should rot in prison, that they must be jealous to be that malicious . Once I was kicked from a chat for being from an American right wing chat for being from NB----with the message (shut your half french pie hole).

The mods here are excellent. Figleaf is allowed back in. She now knows they dont accept whatever she did. There is no need to make a big fuss over it.

Just look around, in Canada, hard-core right-wingers make up roughly 30% of the population. Now compare that to the posters on this forum and tell me this forum is representative of the general population.

I've no idea - clue me in. This forum seems to be fairly well balanced, it shifts now and then, but when you look at the whole including the numerous anti CPC threads, I'd say the majority are on the left wing side of the fence.

What's a hard core right winger btw....

I've no idea - clue me in. This forum seems to be fairly well balanced, it shifts now and then, but when you look at the whole including the numerous anti CPC threads, I'd say the majority are on the left wing side of the fence.

What's a hard core right winger btw....

A small handfull hard-core left-wingers are quite abusive with their language and name-calling, not to mention getting caught in a bold-faced lie or attempt to twist facts that could've turned off otherwise left-leaning population from coming in to join! Perhaps the biggest deterrant sits from that corner?

Some personalized attacks had come from a couple of hardcore left-wingers, and they're still around. They should know when to zip up and know they're lucky. :lol:

Greg and Charles are doing a good job. It's not an easy job to moderate.

We know when we crossed the lines....and try to get right back on the right track asap.

Edited by betsy

• Forum Admin
What a joke.

This post will probably be removed and I could well be banned forever, but the point is that Greg's pose of reasonability is quite a stretch.

Is it a coincidence that all the people who are leaving (myself included, except for the rare posting about the forum itself) are citing the the preferential treatment for people who ascribe to certain opinions as the reason for leaving?

I think not.

Huh - I'll tell you two what I've told those in the past who routinely complain about the moderation of the forums.

If you don't like it, leave. Please, do me a favour - and everyone else who has to listen to the whining - leave.

p.s. the last line is a joke - I've been called every name in the book, usually from those who are close to be removed from the forums.

If you think you can run a better discussion forum, power to you. But my record of moderation and the overall success of these forums stand in direct opposition to your baseless claims of unfair treatment. These forums have stood the test of time, and not just from my direction through moderation but from the amazing contribution of forum participants who instead of whining at the hint of a problem rise above the immature bickering and complaining.

We've been operating without issue for over seven years - not bad for a bunch of [fill in the blank - liberals, conservatives, pinkos, fascists, racists, etc]

p.s. that last line is a joke - over the years I've been called every name in the book, usually by those who are close to being removed from forums.

Edited by Greg

We've been operating without issue for over seven years - not bad for a bunch of [fill in the blank - liberals, conservatives, pinkos, fascists, racists, etc]
Just you wait! Sooner or later, they will call you an anarchist!

We will see how you like that!

Is it just a coincidence that the whiners are always from the left of the spectrum?

I think not.

They equate 'moderators' like they do their government.

they hold you responsible for taking care of them.

I have never seen so much whining since I was in elementary school.

• Forum Admin
Is it just a coincidence that the whiners are always from the left of the spectrum?

I think not.

I wouldn't go that far - experience has proven that ideology doesn't really coming it play when dealing with undesirable behaviour in the forums. Members who are on the right, left, center, etc have had difficulties following the rules.

They equate 'moderators' like they do their government.

they hold you responsible for taking care of them.

I imagine myself to be a pretty moderate person, although I've been labeled a "leftist" here more than once. I think that fundamentally in a democracy a government is the people. A government should represent those people that elected it. Categorizing that as whining is inappropriate.

Also, making an analogy with the moderators of a web forum doesn't hold up because this is not a democracy. The fact of the matter is that the owners of this site can do anything they want with it. If you don't like it you're free to find somewhere else to post.

You haven't been banned. JDobbin hasn't been banned even though there is a strong argument for his dismissal (possibly along with his partner in crime on the other side of the political fence). Margrace is still around. gc1975. I will often take the leftwing side of any debate on issues of personal freedom, terrorism and war.

The left is represented. Otherwise there would be no debate.

Any persecution is in your head IMO.

Those that have been banned have largely asked for it. No one has been banned for expressing an ideology. No one.

Figleaf was rightly banned for what he did, it was outright ridiculous. He knew what would happen. And he continues to deliberately provoke a response now. I'd boot him. We don't need that around here. I don't go to mapleleafweb to watch webcam videos of stripteases.

I think you all are missing the point here, it's the same thing jazzer, kuzadd and I were saying on the other thread: the moderating team ignores direct violations of the rules and ignores requests to resolve issues with belligerent posters.... yet someone like Figleaf gets banned without warning for something which is questionable, but does not violate any specific rules of the board.

Well, let's take a look at how poor Kuzzad is oppressed here. 5 minutes ago I got a warning to stop "belittling people", with a specific reference to a post in which I told kuzzad to "shutup." Why did I tell him to shutup? Well, because he said this to me in the previous post: "In a nutshell, it is necessary for people such as scottsa, to believe, this nonsense, so when the "THEMS" are being killed scottsa, can feel ok with that." So I am warned for telling Kuzzad to "shutup", although apparently it's just peachy for him to accuse me of plotting genocide. Go figure.

Edited by ScottSA

Well, let's take a look at how poor Kuzzad is oppressed here. 5 minutes ago I got a warning to stop "belittling people", with a specific reference to a post in which I told kuzzad to "shutup." Why did I tell him to shutup? Well, because he said this to me in the previous post: "In a nutshell, it is necessary for people such as scottsa, to believe, this nonsense, so when the "THEMS" are being killed scottsa, can feel ok with that." So I am warned for telling Kuzzad to "shutup", although apparently it's just peachy for him to accuse me of plotting genocide. Go figure.

scottsa:

I did not accuse you of "plotting genocide". How preposterous, really and dramatic.

I was merely using you to demonstrate an archetype, there was actually no need to tell me to "shut-up" and then continue on with your insults.

I do hope you understand the concept of archetype?

In the quotation I said, it is "necessary for people SUCH AS scottsa" in my opinion you are the archetype for a specific type of person that holds a specific belief, that I can use as a reference to make my point wrt: why the types of beliefs , such as yours are held.

It is unfortunate you chose to represent such an archetype, particularily one , you appear to feel insulted? for being associated with, but, that is what you CHOOSE to demonstrate, repeatedly on this forum, is it not?

scottsa:

I did not accuse you of "plotting genocide". How preposterous, really and dramatic.

I was merely using you to demonstrate an archetype, there was actually no need to tell me to "shut-up" and then continue on with your insults.

I do hope you understand the concept of archetype?

In the quotation I said, it is "necessary for people SUCH AS scottsa" in my opinion you are the archetype for a specific type of person that holds a specific belief, that I can use as a reference to make my point wrt: why the types of beliefs , such as yours are held.

It is unfortunate you chose to represent such an archetype, particularily one , you appear to feel insulted? for being associated with, but, that is what you CHOOSE to demonstrate, repeatedly on this forum, is it not?

That is ridiculous backpedalling. YOu are saying you didnt make this accusation against him and then you are saying that he is a representative of those who hold this belief----that is basically saying the same thing. He is not representing this "archetype", you just say he is.