Hockey and the National Identity.

From the Brock University Press

http://media.www.brockpress.com/media/stor...n-2914350.shtml

The Anaheim Ducks are mighty once again. They are the 2007 Stanley Cup champs, and they didn't even need to use the Flying-V to get the job done. The Ducks didn't need such an unrealistic passing play to pull off the victory. Of course, things are made easier when you have players like Ottawa Senator defenseman Chris Phillips, who scored on his own net in the Cup-clinching game (oh, don't mind me. I'm just rubbing it in). Personally, I would have liked to see the Flying-V, but not for the nostalgic memory of a movie I saw for the first time about three months ago, but instead to see the further humiliation of the Sens Army. They're a team I don't like because they're the natural rival of my Toronto Maple Leafs, but I like them even less because of all those out there who felt it was necessary to jump ship over to Ottawa just because they were the last Canadian team in this year's playoffs. A friend asked me who I was cheering for, and I said Anaheim. He said I wasn't Canadian anymore. I asked him why and he told me it was because I wasn't cheering for Canada. Let's not even take into consideration that Anaheim's roster has five more Canadian-born players than Ottawa's does. Apparently it's more important to cheer for a team based on their geographical location anyway. But just because I'm a Leafs fan and am showing that by cheering for Anaheim, does not mean I'm any less a fan of Canada. Having been born in Calgary, I'll never cheer for the Edmonton Oilers. Likewise, growing up in Toronto means you won't ever see a Sens flag hanging off my car's window. I cheered for the Leafs as a child, I cheered for them this year, and I'll cheer for them for years to come (although I don't think I'll ever be able to afford to go see a game). These days it seems cool to hate the Leafs and cheer Ottawa. Especially from ex-Leafs fans who "didn't know better". Band-jumping: 1, Team Loyalty: 0. We all know people like this. Whether they were born in Ottawa themselves, or they have a friend whose mother's babysitter's sister had a track coach who drove through Ottawa as part of a family vacation to Quebec, they feel some need to cheer on those pesky Sens, especially during games against the blue and white of Leafs Nation. It's even easier to hate the Leafs lately, considering they can't seem to make the playoffs. Just you wait though. Once the Leafs start playing well again, you'll see those lost sheep return, and I'll be waiting to mock all of them. So my congratulations go to the players on the Anaheim Ducks, especially the Canadian-born ones. They will each be bringing Lord Stanley home, even if it is only for one day each. Next year however, I'll be supporting the Maple Leafs once again, regardless of where they were born.

I'm a Sabres fan, but I think this article is right. During the playoffs, I felt I was being prosecuted for supporting the Ducks, which had more Canadian players after all. A girl I talked to, just sighed and said "you're supposed to support the Canadian team". That's BS in my book, I'll support what team I choose. I support BMW Formula One team, even though I'm not German. Does that make me any less of a Canadian? I think you can be a Canadian, without supporting a Canadian based hockey team.

Then this made me think of our national identity, which seems to be that we're Canadian because we're NOT American. That's no way to define this country, by what we're not.

Edited by Big Blue Machine

A friend asked me who I was cheering for, and I said Anaheim. He said I wasn't Canadian anymore. I asked him why and he told me it was because I wasn't cheering for Canada.

I never could understand that either.

Cheer for whoever you want.

The Sens wanted to show that they could hold their own in the ratings by getting CDN's to cheer for them. The sad fact is that most of Ottawa didnt bother to watch the Sens when they were on regional telecasts all year and they still whine about not getting on HNIC. Why would they, so the CBC can lose money?

Professional sports are about the fans as much as they are about the players. Anaheim may have more Canadian players, but Ottawa has more Canadian fans, people for who winning the Cup is likely far more important that it is for people in Anaheim.

Edited by Remiel

Im a habs fan, my #2 team was anaheim, i was really happy that they won, i mean i like their style, their philosophy.

I don't hate the sens but their are alot of team that i prefer. Actually their is only one team that i truly hate unconditionally, its the leafs.

thats a stupid video. ;-)

I couldn't have cared less who won last year, as long as it wasn't Ottawa.

From the Brock University Press

http://media.www.brockpress.com/media/stor...n-2914350.shtml

The Anaheim Ducks are mighty once again. They are the 2007 Stanley Cup champs, and they didn't even need to use the Flying-V to get the job done. The Ducks didn't need such an unrealistic passing play to pull off the victory. Of course, things are made easier when you have players like Ottawa Senator defenseman Chris Phillips, who scored on his own net in the Cup-clinching game (oh, don't mind me. I'm just rubbing it in). Personally, I would have liked to see the Flying-V, but not for the nostalgic memory of a movie I saw for the first time about three months ago, but instead to see the further humiliation of the Sens Army. They're a team I don't like because they're the natural rival of my Toronto Maple Leafs, but I like them even less because of all those out there who felt it was necessary to jump ship over to Ottawa just because they were the last Canadian team in this year's playoffs. A friend asked me who I was cheering for, and I said Anaheim. He said I wasn't Canadian anymore. I asked him why and he told me it was because I wasn't cheering for Canada. Let's not even take into consideration that Anaheim's roster has five more Canadian-born players than Ottawa's does. Apparently it's more important to cheer for a team based on their geographical location anyway. But just because I'm a Leafs fan and am showing that by cheering for Anaheim, does not mean I'm any less a fan of Canada. Having been born in Calgary, I'll never cheer for the Edmonton Oilers. Likewise, growing up in Toronto means you won't ever see a Sens flag hanging off my car's window. I cheered for the Leafs as a child, I cheered for them this year, and I'll cheer for them for years to come (although I don't think I'll ever be able to afford to go see a game). These days it seems cool to hate the Leafs and cheer Ottawa. Especially from ex-Leafs fans who "didn't know better". Band-jumping: 1, Team Loyalty: 0. We all know people like this. Whether they were born in Ottawa themselves, or they have a friend whose mother's babysitter's sister had a track coach who drove through Ottawa as part of a family vacation to Quebec, they feel some need to cheer on those pesky Sens, especially during games against the blue and white of Leafs Nation. It's even easier to hate the Leafs lately, considering they can't seem to make the playoffs. Just you wait though. Once the Leafs start playing well again, you'll see those lost sheep return, and I'll be waiting to mock all of them. So my congratulations go to the players on the Anaheim Ducks, especially the Canadian-born ones. They will each be bringing Lord Stanley home, even if it is only for one day each. Next year however, I'll be supporting the Maple Leafs once again, regardless of where they were born.

I'm a Sabres fan, but I think this article is right. During the playoffs, I felt I was being prosecuted for supporting the Ducks, which had more Canadian players after all. A girl I talked to, just sighed and said "you're supposed to support the Canadian team". That's BS in my book, I'll support what team I choose. I support BMW Formula One team, even though I'm not German. Does that make me any less of a Canadian? I think you can be a Canadian, without supporting a Canadian based hockey team.

Then this made me think of our national identity, which seems to be that we're Canadian because we're NOT American. That's no way to define this country, by what we're not.

I didn't even bother to edit that out because it's oh-so-typical of the Toronto-centric types who believe that Canada begins and ends at the GTA border. In fact, most people cheer for a team because it represents their local geographic or political area. But to Toronto maple leaf fans, well, if it's outside the GTA it's hardly even in the same hemisphere. Mind you, most Torotonians aren't Canadians anyway. The way things are going there you'll soon get bigger crowds for soccer. That's why the Leafs keep throwing wrenches into the gears in a desperate effort to stop Hamilton from getting a team.

I will always cheer the Canadian based team because it represents a Canadian city, and represents earnest, dedicated Canadian fans. I will always cheer against corporate teams which represent, in effect, no one but a rich owner, with few fans, surviving only because of subsidies from the city and state governments.

As for you and Buffalo - arguably the most boring team in the NHL over the last twenty years, well, okay. At least they have a fan base - an American fan base - and I'm sure all those American fans would have been overjoyed if Buffalo had won. I guess I'm just nostalgic and would like to see the cup return to Canada - even if it's outside the borders of the GTA

Edited by Argus

I've been a Sens fan since they first got destroyed in 1992-1993. I've seen them go through absolutely shitty seasons and develop now to the point where they can contend on a regular basis.

That being said, I agree with the annoyance of band wagoning fans.

My girlfriend is a hardcore leafs fan. She knows all the stats the history, everything. We both have our teams, and we go to sens vs leafs games at Scotia Bank Place together and love it. (hell of a relationship i know).

What we both hate is the fans for both teams who dont have a clue what they are cheering for , and just do it because as the original poster mentioned, it's cool. Now living in Ottawa, I haven't had the oppurtunity to talk to alot of leaf bandwagoning fans, once again, due to their recent struggles.. but the girlfriend has a few friends who are in Ottawa that don;t have the first clue about the team they "love and are cheering for."

Case in point this year:

Me to her friend "Hey so you're a hockey fan i hear?"

Her friend "ya !! I love the Sens!!"

Me: "Awesome! You've got the right team :)! Who's your favourite player?"

Her : "Umm... I'd have to say Hossa!"

Me : ".........allright enjoy, bye"

(Marian Hossa was traded a couple years ago.) Most people aren't that dumb, they just say "Alfreddsson!" ...

Ahh yes.. the angst of the holier than thou dedicated team fan. I'm sure some here can relate.

I could never understand the flap over hockey. It isn't even Canada's national sport.....

How often do you watch Lacrosse?

Should we only care about the sports that the government tells us to support? Perhaps people enjoy things that aren't national sports? Hmm?

Never the less, guyser is right, it is our national sport. So comrade, get in line and enjoy a hockey game, drinking a Canadian beer (hhmm) and eatting Alberta beef.