New Moderator!

Greg

• Forum Admin

Charles Anthony has recently been promoted from Forum Facilitator to Forum Moderator. Charles has done an excellent job working with me as a facilitator, and I think he will do a great job as a moderator. I've given Charles this new role because I'm unfortunately not going to be able to give the forum the attention it needs in the next few weeks/months. We're right in the middle of relaunching a new version of Maple Leaf Web, and this means that my focus is going to be on the relaunch, not the forums.

I expect everyone to treat Charles with the same level of respect that I am given. Charles will be able to merge, delete, modify threads and will also be able to issue warnings and suspensions to members who fail to follow the rules.

I will also be assigning a few more members to the role of Forum Facilitator, to aid Charles and myself with moderation tasks.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to post them here or contact me directly.

Thanks,

Member moderators? As in people who also debate issues around here and hold personal prejudices against other members? Are we going to know who they are like we did with Charles Anthony?

This is something that could seriously alter my time spent on this forum.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to post them here or contact me directly.

So Charles will no longer be joining discussions in forums?

I think he has done an excellent job on fixing threads, keeping out ads but I think he would be the first to admit that he has an opinion.

A moderator for these forums probably has to be fixated on forum rules. If that person also contributes to discussions, it could lead to problems despite whatever good intentions were initially there.

I think he has done an excellent job on fixing threads, keeping out ads but I think he would be the first to admit that he has an opinion.

A moderator for these forums probably has to be fixated on forum rules. If that person also contributes to discussions, it could lead to problems despite whatever good intentions were initially there.

I haven't seen Charles post anything recently. I don't know if he just hasn't been around, or whether he no longer contributes to the discussion.

The thing is, everyone (and therefore every potential moderator) has an opinion. As long as they are not actively participating in the discussion, I can't see any problems.

• Forum Admin

No, Charles hasn't participated directly in the discussions here for a while. And during his tenure as moderator, he will not contribute his opinions on any threads.

I will announce the new forum facilitators shortly. However, they have no direct powers - they are here to encourage fair debate and report any major issues to Charles and myself.

No, Charles hasn't participated directly in the discussions here for a while. And during his tenure as moderator, he will not contribute his opinions on any threads.

I will announce the new forum facilitators shortly. However, they have no direct powers - they are here to encourage fair debate and report any major issues to Charles and myself.

Thanks for your reply. I think Charles will do a fine job then. He was on top of any thread that contained ads and they were eliminated post haste. He also helped clean up some of the threads that had long replies or that were duplicates of other threads.

Let me just say that (*cough* cough* ) Charles Anthony is clearly the most even handed, articulate poster here. I can't say that he has never been wrong nor has he ever been immoderate. His posts are always keenly interesting, fact filled and must reading for one and all. I have been won over by the force of his arguments so many times that when he states an opinion contrary to mine I most always change my opinion to match his. My only regret is that while we will no doubt get a moderator of the finest and first degree, whose rulings will be the fairest and wisest of any political board anywhere and should be shared in a wiki, we will lose a poster whose ability and content were the sole driving forces that have made Maple Leaf Forums the best political discussion website in Canada. (*cough*)

That should at least be good for one get out of jail free card....

Charles Anthony,

Congratulations on your appointment. I know you'll do a great job.

If there is anything I can do to help you make your job easier.....like giving you a list of people that I think should be banned forever and sent to the northern tundra regions of the country, just let me know.

OK, maybe the sending to the northern tundra isn't in your mandate,but you can still ban them.:)

-CES

Charles is pretty even, I can't really see too many problems with him being a moderator, few take his side (though we often agreed on much, going to miss having someone around to back up my crazy dislike of everything government).

Charles Anthony has always struck me as someone who would be happier on a place like rabble.ca, where there were no conservatives. We will see just how "even handed" he can bring himself to be.

Charles Anthony has always struck me as someone who would be happier on a place like rabble.ca, where there were no conservatives. We will see just how "even handed" he can bring himself to be.

Are you suggesting that Charles has an anti-conservative bias? Only if "conservative"="big government"...

Are you suggesting that Charles has an anti-conservative bias?

After reviewing some of the discussions in which he and I were involved - yes.

As one of the meekest and most unopinionated posters here, I'd like to offer my services as one of the Moderator Youth facilitators. Do we get cool uniforms with armbands? Do we get to carry torches and act tough? Can we like break windows and burn books with impugnity?

• 3 weeks later...

Charles Anthony, I am not really that familiar with your postings and opinions, sorry 'bout that.

One comment, Charles Anthony, "you just can't win". To left, too opinionated, to anti-conservative,to this, to that.

You will know doubt, annoy everyone , but hey, good luck to you!

Your gonna need all the well wishing you can get.

So take my good wishes, before you annoy me!

;)

Charles Anthony, I am not really that familiar with your postings and opinions, sorry 'bout that.

One comment, Charles Anthony, "you just can't win". To left, too opinionated, to anti-conservative,to this, to that.

;)

Look, he's warned me on some stuff, but on balance both he and Greg are good moderators. To quote the Rolling Stones "you can't always get what you want, but if you try some time you just might find you get what you need".

;)

Look, he's warned me on some stuff, but on balance both he and Greg are good moderators. To quote the Rolling Stones "you can't always get what you want, but if you try some time you just might find you get what you need".

"Look," OK boss!

I wasn't complaining, merely commenting on all the comments, throughout this posting, wrt Mr. Anthony and then jokin' around.

Did you read through, I did?

You like the Stones?!

Wanna have some fun quoting lyrics, particularily Stones lyrics, LOVE'EM!

hang on......one of my faves

Salt of the Earth

Lets drink to the hard working people

Lets drink to the lowly of birth

Raise your glass to the good and the evil

Lets drink to the salt of the earth

Say a prayer for the common foot soldier

Spare a thought for his back breaking work

Say a prayer for his wife and his children

Who burn the fires and who still till the earth

there was this great Stones concert, in which GnR got up and did this with the Stones, excellent!

;)

"Look," OK boss!

I wasn't complaining, merely commenting on all the comments, throughout this posting, wrt Mr. Anthony and then jokin' around.

Did you read through, I did?

You like the Stones?!

Wanna have some fun quoting lyrics, particularily Stones lyrics, LOVE'EM!

hang on......one of my faves

Salt of the Earth

Lets drink to the hard working people

Lets drink to the lowly of birth

Raise your glass to the good and the evil

Lets drink to the salt of the earth

Say a prayer for the common foot soldier

Spare a thought for his back breaking work

Say a prayer for his wife and his children

Who burn the fires and who still till the earth

there was this great Stones concert, in which GnR got up and did this with the Stones, excellent!

Yep the Stones sure are good "archetypes" for the salt of the earth, the epitome of average joe.

Thank you for the well-wishes. I am actually looking forward to spending the future lurking and learning from you guys.

Hmmm..... where to start?

First, my opinions:

1) I really like The Rolling Stones too. However, I have paid very little attention to them after Wyman left. I liked them much more before Taylor left and I think they were their best before Altamont.

2) I despise the irresponsible and excessive repetition of quotes in quotes and quotes and quotes in quotes and quotes in quotes and quotes in quotes and quotes as exemplified by the last few replies in this thread.

Now, for my postings, I encourage everybody to read the following threads:

Using the [ Quote ] Feature: Avoid using more too many quotes!

Trim Your Posts and Quotes -- Don't just hit "Reply"

which go through details on how to tidy up the formatting.

drawn from a different thread somewhere in the forum the exact location of which really does not matter

In case you haven't noticed, Canada's federation is undergoing fundamental changes now. It would be interesting to discuss these changes in such a public forum where people of widely different opinions can post their thoughts.

The Internet is a work in progress, and this forum too. Let's see.

Stay tuned. Soon, there will be Forum Facilitators on Maple Leaf Web and the progress will become, in my bold opinion, both obvious and envious.