Paid Posters

Thank you for the encouragements. It's working! Just talking about this is firing me up again!

Write what you enjoy. Publishers are looking for the next J.K Rowling!

At the moment, I am fielding enquirers in Los Angeles for one of my scripts. It is one I completed a few years ago and for some reason is attracting attention now. We'll have to see how it goes. I don't usually get too excited until the check clears.

When I finish a novel, I hear the hardest part would be to get a publishing house to even consider reading it.

I am dying to ask you about those feature fims you were involved with...but I know it might expose your identity.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I finish a novel, I hear the hardest part would be to get a publishing house to even consider reading it.

I am dying to ask you about those feature fims you were involved with...but I know it might expose your identity.

J.K. Rowling's book sat on the slush pile as publishers call it for a long time. She was rejected countless times.

Many of my paying gigs have been from documentaries and corporate videos. In Canada, a writer has to be like an actor...versatile. Canadians actors have to be able to work for commercials, stage, TV and film. In the U.S., it is possible to just be a TV actor and so on.

Canadian writers often make money on book reviews, magazine contributions, journalism, radio work, stage, TV and film, novels and the like. It is the unique writer that makes it one of these formats as the sole means of income.

Thank you for the encouragements. It's working! Just talking about this is firing me up again!

At the moment, I am fielding enquirers in Los Angeles for one of my scripts. It is one I completed a few years ago and for some reason is attracting attention now. We'll have to see how it goes. I don't usually get too excited until the check clears.

Canadian publishing houses are mainly interested in what government grants they can get for the work - not the quality of the work. Get yourself a grant and you'll get published, regardless of what dreck you write.

Virtually all of it paid for by government grants and loans. For the most part, for movies no one will ever see or ever want to see.

Most of my work has been sold in the U.S.

The rest received no government grants or loans.

Is there anything else you want to attack me on?

It was a statement of fact. Virtually everything published, every film made, every play put on is because of government grants. Perhaps this is one of the reasons Canadian novels and books, movies and plays can routinely be summed up as "crap". And please don't recite to me a list of wonderful Canadian books which changed your life or I'll respond with an avalanche of the thousands of crappy movies and books put out on the taxpayers tab which went immediately into the returns bin.

I write novels and short stories, as a matter of fact, but they're "popular" fiction, and not the sorts of things Canadian publishers have much interest in. I wouldn't have been able to buy the house I'm sitting in without the royalties I make from writing. Contrary to popular belief, civil servants don't get showered with gold.

It was a statement of fact. Virtually everything published, every film made, every play put on is because of government grants. I write novels and short stories, as a matter of fact, but they're "popular" fiction, and not the sorts of things Canadian publishers have much interest in. I wouldn't have been able to buy the house I'm sitting in without the royalties I make from writing. Contrary to popular belief, civil servants don't get showered with gold.

I think I've said in the past that Canadians don't support their artists. It has been demonstrated fairly clearly prior to government investment that Canadian publishing, music, TV and film were non-existent.

I have said in the past that if this is what Canadians want, the government should remove all investment in the arts.

Canadian publishing houses are mainly interested in what government grants they can get for the work - not the quality of the work. Get yourself a grant and you'll get published, regardless of what dreck you write.

How do I go about getting a grant? Who can point me in the right direction? I'm serious.

Reputable agents I'm told, give you the time of day only when you've been published.

Although I do have proofs of my works in publication (I've brought copies of the comic books - more for reminiscing enjoyments), I don't think they really count here as the standard they mean by "published."

http://www.canadacouncil.ca/grants/writing...29682968750.htm

http://www.publishers.ca/publishing-writing-grants.htm

See "creative writing"

http://www3.sympatico.ca/susanio/WWClinks.html

Spend time googling "writing grants canada" and associated topics. If there's one thing Canada is good at, it's financing candian arts on the off chance that someday they'll actually find some talent they can hang a hat on as "Canadian." Other than pretentious crap about Prairie angst, anyway.

Generally speaking, your chances will go up expontially if you've been published, so start by writing opeds for the local rags and generally try to fluff up your cv. You might even consider self-publishing, but you have to research that one real well first.

http://www.canadacouncil.ca/grants/writing...29682968750.htm

http://www.publishers.ca/publishing-writing-grants.htm

See "creative writing"

http://www3.sympatico.ca/susanio/WWClinks.html

Spend time googling "writing grants canada" and associated topics. If there's one thing Canada is good at, it's financing candian arts on the off chance that someday they'll actually find some talent they can hang a hat on as "Canadian." Other than pretentious crap about Prairie angst, anyway.

Generally speaking, your chances will go up expontially if you've been published, so start by writing opeds for the local rags and generally try to fluff up your cv. You might even consider self-publishing, but you have to research that one real well first.

Thank you so much, Scott. I've started writing again, setting aside an hour a day.