Paid Posters

I was talking to a friend and we were discussing how everything that starts off as personal use on the internet, ends up being taken over by corporations or other interested parties as soon as they reach a sizeable target-audience. The aim is obviously to communicate using non-traditional forms of advertising. For example, Ebay has ended up with Ebay corporate stores and Facebook and YouTube have become a useful tools for politicians.

So why would we think message boards would be any different?

Without naming any names, I think that I can think of at least two people (not both conservative either) who don't appear to be here to debate - their words outright sound like corporate advertising for their respective establishments. One of them doesn't even hide his agenda if you look at the screen name (that was a big hint), which is an odd name someone would choose for themself, IMO. His topics also seem more worded as advertising than your usual forum-type of threads.

Any comments anyone?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm suspicious of a couple of them. I think we might be on the same page.

I don't really have a problem with it though, I just simply don't give too much thought to their posts. The two particular individuals are strongly partisan to the point where they are completely blind to reason. Maybe it's just a state of mind? Though I wouldn't put it past parties to pay people to push a little message here and there.

I was talking to a friend and we were discussing how everything that starts off as personal use on the internet, ends up being taken over by corporations or other interested parties as soon as they reach a sizeable target-audience. The aim is obviously to communicate using non-traditional forms of advertising. For example, Ebay has ended up with Ebay corporate stores and Facebook and YouTube have become a useful tools for politicians.

So why would we think message boards would be any different?

Without naming any names, I think that I can think of at least two people (not both conservative either) who don't appear to be here to debate - their words outright sound like corporate advertising for their respective establishments. One of them doesn't even hide his agenda if you look at the screen name (that was a big hint), which is an odd name someone would choose for themself, IMO.

Any comments anyone?

Ive gotten that feeling before to. I usually think its because they just so receptive to mainstream thought that they end up sounding like a commercial. No different that people who walk around wearing a molson canadian hat & Tshirt..... do they even realize they are just a walking billboard? I hate it when companies i work for give me corporate attire.... WTF..... they should be paying me extra to wear their logo.

Andrew

The two particular individuals are strongly partisan to the point where they are completely blind to reason.

I don't think it's just political parties at work here. Now that should be the hint that gives it away. LOL

I hate it when companies i work for give me corporate attire.... WTF..... they should be paying me extra to wear their logo.

Andrew

I hear ya. Last year my (former) company stiffed us out of a Christmas bonus and to add insult to injury they gave us all corporate hoodies instead. :lol:

Corporate attire is one thing when it's given to you, but to pay to advertise for a company (Von Dutch anyone?), that's just insane.

If you work for a company and they give you free corporate attire, you should be proud to advertise for them so they can be successful and you can continue to have employment.

I doubt that anyone on here is being paid to post, but if you know of any party willing to do that let me know - I'm in, I could use the cash.

The last AGM I went to I mentioned to the guest speaker that it would be a good idea to have staff going into the larger forums and rebutting what is posted - they didn't seem too excited about the idea... Up to now, no one I know thinks it worth the money as forums are not changing the way people vote. Some blogs however seem to be more effective, at least in getting opinions out there - the pyjama media you know (whoops pajama) :)-

The two particular individuals are strongly partisan to the point where they are completely blind to reason.
I don't think it's just political parties at work here. Now that should be the hint that gives it away. LOL

I think we're thinking of different people then.

I hear ya. Last year my (former) company stiffed us out of a Christmas bonus and to add insult to injury they gave us all corporate hoodies instead. :lol:

Corporate hoodies? I have some nice golf shirts and a nice golf jacket from my company (and the logos are reasonably small). Hoodies?

I don't see many people wearing the corporate colours around the campfire.

Without naming any names, I think that I can think of at least two people (not both conservative either) who don't appear to be here to debate - their words outright sound like corporate advertising for their respective establishments. One of them doesn't even hide his agenda if you look at the screen name (that was a big hint), which is an odd name someone would choose for themself, IMO. His topics also seem more worded as advertising than your usual forum-type of threads.

Any comments anyone?

If the Tories have enough money to pay off Pierre Bourque and pay for his racecar, they certainly have enough money to pay people for blogs and forums.

Certainly, Tories have been known to call into phone shows on the radio and impersonate ordinary citizens. Sometimes they even impersonate their bosses.

Perhaps if they used their actual names, there wouldn't doubts about where they get their "talking points."

If the Tories have enough money to pay off Pierre Bourque and pay for his racecar, they certainly have enough money to pay people for blogs and forums.

Certainly, Tories have been known to call into phone shows on the radio and impersonate ordinary citizens. Sometimes they even impersonate their bosses.

Perhaps if they used their actual names, there wouldn't doubts about where they get their "talking points."

Brace yourself for this, I don't do this often.... but you think the LPC doesn't do stuff like that? (Except the race car of course)

I wonder who the two people you are think of are...especially the "non-Conservative".

There is one Conservative that obviously comes to mind, but he has denied it and I believe him.

I think I can guess who the "non political" person is based on your hints, especially the name one...but I could be wrong.

Brace yourself for this, I don't do this often.... but you think the LPC doesn't do stuff like that? (Except the race car of course)

I don't know that they have the money. They might be compelled to it (especially for something like Pierre Borque where you can buy your story headlines and favourable coverage) but I think their money would be better spent on a research department and a full-time pollster.

Liberals have been calling phone shows on the radio, and on tv, impersonating ordinary citizens. This tactic especially appeal to the Liberals since they are such big liars to begin with. Conservatives are just taking a defensive stand.

I don't know that they have the money. They might be compelled to it (especially for something like Pierre Borque where you can buy your story headlines and favourable coverage) but I think their money would be better spent on a research department and a full-time pollster.

No, no, of course. The Liberals are not capable of anything untoward. The perfect party.

No, no, of course. The Liberals are not capable of anything untoward. The perfect party.

Don't think I said that. I said they don't have the money.

If they did have the money, I'd want them to actually spend it on research rather than manufacturing consent.

Liberals have been calling phone shows on the radio, and on tv, impersonating ordinary citizens. This tactic especially appeal to the Liberals since they are such big liars to begin with. Conservatives are just taking a defensive stand.

Were you paid to say that? lol

If the Tories are doing it because Liberals are, they are doing a terrible job because they get caught at it whereas the Liberals don't.

Don't think I said that. I said they don't have the money.

If they did have the money, I'd want them to actually spend it on research rather than manufacturing consent.

I'm saying it.

Having anything to back that up Betsy?

I really dont doubt that they may, but you just sound so darn sure.....