Did God create man?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Man" created God.

Oh, thanks BC Girl. Glad you have that all figured out.

If I'd started the thread, I would have just conducted a poll.

But as it stands, I was given two choices and I picked one. I figured the people of this forum are intelligent enough to know the arguments for and against each one.

"Man" created God.

Oh, thanks BC Girl. Glad you have that all figured out.

If I'd started the thread, I would have just conducted a poll.

But as it stands, I was given two choices and I picked one. I figured the people of this forum are intelligent enough to know the arguments for and against each one.

Now given that thought, do you believe we are alone in the universe?

No. What an arrogant thought to think we are so special as to be the only living creatures to ever evolve in a place so vast as the universe.

Yes Man created god(s). It/they are nothing more than a way to explain the unknown. They have been perverted by man to further his own needs, by using them to control the scared and uneducated, and systematically rob them a little at a time.

No. What an arrogant thought to think we are so special as to be the only living creatures to ever evolve in a place so vast as the universe.

Yes Man created god(s). It/they are nothing more than a way to explain the unknown. They have been perverted by man to further his own needs, by using them to control the scared and uneducated, and systematically rob them a little at a time.

The same argument you use for the existence of other beings can be used against your broad proclaimation that God doesn't exist. Especially the "arrogant" part. Imagine the arrogance of claiming that the vast majority of the people on this planet are merely "scared and uneducated." I can point out a dozen theologians right off the top of my head who are quite a bit more educated than you.

I think it's akin to the question of the tree that fell in the forest. Clearly, the rather well-formed attributes of earth and for that matter the universe didn't just arise out of chaos. On the other hand, for G-d to be recognized as such, a reasoning animal such as man is needed.

The ultimate source on this is the Canadian Charter of Arbitrarily Awarded Rights and Fickly Determined Freedoms: "Whereas Canada is founded upon principles that recognize the supremacy of God...." (Link)

Clearly, the rather well-formed attributes of earth and for that matter the universe didn't just arise out of chaos.

Can you clarify this? What do you mean by well-formed?
Ever see a picture of the Earth from space? Or even look at a loved one, and concentrate? Do you really think such things emerge randomly from the chaos of atoms and molecules?

Ever see a picture of the Earth from space? Or even look at a loved one, and concentrate? Do you really think such things emerge randomly from the chaos of atoms and molecules?

Ah, the teleological argument. Before I begin, allow me to say that I am agnostic, I believe that as a mere mortal, I am not in a position to prove or disprove the existence of God.

However, the intricacies of nature are not, IMO, compelling enough to prove the existence of God. Some things in this world are a wonder, no doubt. But proof of the existence of God? Hardly.

Ah, the teleological argument. Before I begin, allow me to say that I am agnostic, I believe that as a mere mortal, I am not in a position to prove or disprove the existence of God.
I came up with that argument myself and it reflects my own thoughts, not that of others.

I came up with that argument myself and it reflects my own thoughts, not that of others.

Well, it's not original, it's been proposed before. It's called the teleological argument, and my argument (which was below the passage you quoted) still stands.... marvel and wonder are not "proof" of God.

Well, it's not original, it's been proposed before. It's called the teleological argument, and my argument (which was below the passage you quoted) still stands.... marvel and wonder are not "proof" of God.
At least in Canada, a proof is a proof. And a proof is something that proves something.

At least in Canada, a proof is a proof. And a proof is something that proves something.

Good rebuttal Council.

Are you saying that in the US, circumstantial evidence is considered "proof?"

Good rebuttal Council.

Are you saying that in the US, circumstantial evidence is considered "proof?"

Yes. But purely circumstantial evidence is, in general, not sufficient to convict for a capital crime.

The traditional Triple O God, (Omniscient, Omnipresent, Omnipotent) has a much smaller probability of existence than an alien race with sufficiently advanced technology to appear "godlike" to us.

We don't have the information needed to draw those probabilities. We would have to know the exact chemical conditions and circumstances for the generation of carbon-based life in order to draw the probability of carbon-based life existing elsewhere, and we certainly can't begin to be able to draw probability parameters around the existence of God.