Saskatchewan threatens to Sue Federal Government

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

Amid growing anger over changes to the equalization formula, Saskatchewan Premier Lorne Calvert says he has told his provincial Justice Department to pursue legal action against the federal government.

The news comes the day after the Conservative budget passed in the House of Commons.

"This is a betrayal of a promise that was made," Calvert told reporters in Saskatoon on Wednesday, referring to the federal budget.

"This is a very poor way to run a country, to suggest that provinces, to get a federal government to keep their promise, needs to go to the courts to get it done. ... This said, that is the option before us."

Let's see how people from Saskatchewan react now to Harper's equalization formula.

Let's see how people from Saskatchewan react now to Harper's equalization formula.

Fall provincial election Calvert's preference

In fact, Calvert said, the only thing that will stop a provincial election this year is a "catastrophe" or a call to go to the polls federally.

....something Calvert learned from Danny.

Calvert might be the only one entitled to a complaint. He actually gets less, he's the only one, but ya, he gets less.

Then again, since when did a cutback become unconstitutional. As far as I know, matters of a fiscal nature are decided by the elected HoC, not the courts.

But sue away Calvert. You might win. But I'd love to see the Maritimers have at it and get it handed to them.

Yup. Run against the federal government and win. Be an ally of Harper and lose: PEI.

I think you can going to see a lot of people want to run against the complacent federal Tories of Saskatchewan.

Calvert might be the only one entitled to a complaint. He actually gets less, he's the only one, but ya, he gets less.

Then again, since when did a cutback become unconstitutional. As far as I know, matters of a fiscal nature are decided by the elected HoC, not the courts.

But sue away Calvert. You might win. But I'd love to see the Maritimers have at it and get it handed to them.

The latest study released today shows the Maritimes lose quite a bit from the new equalization.

As far as Saskatchewan goes, it looks like it is going to be a long, hot summer for Harper.

The latest study released today shows the Maritimes lose quite a bit from the new equalization.

As far as Saskatchewan goes, it looks like it is going to be a long, hot summer for Harper.

Hmmmmmmmmm!! Maybe Deceivin Steve can hit the barbe circuit again this summer. He must still have the old leather vest and cowboy hat he can wear backwards :)

They have the option of keeping the old one. All's good.

Not according to the fine print, as per Bill Casey.

In fact, Calvert said, the only thing that will stop a provincial election this year is a "catastrophe" or a call to go to the polls federally.

Yes, it's all cheap political posturing by provincial (in every sense of the word) politicians. But it appears Calvert, if he actually follows through on his threat, doesn't mind spending government money on spurious lawsuits in an effort to improve his popularity.

The only one? Why do you suppose the Premier of British Columbia complained in March, 2007, about the new equalization formula which penalizes all British Columbians for their high property values?

http://billtieleman.blogspot.com/2007/03/b...ote-buying.html

Then again, without screwing British Columbia and Saskatchewan, how would Harper come up with bushels of money for Quebec? No wonder the Bloc supported the budget and continues to prop up the Conservatives.

Was it Harper who coined the phrase The West Wants In? He sure delivered...to Quebec.

Yes, it's all cheap political posturing by provincial (in every sense of the word) politicians. But it appears Calvert, if he actually follows through on his threat, doesn't mind spending government money on spurious lawsuits in an effort to improve his popularity.

Calvert had better do something to improve his popularity, and inventing a bogeyman is something he will have learned from Chretien/Martin.........

Calvert/NDP are somewhere around 29% versus 55% for the Sask Party (Tories). Even proprep wouldn't have saved him this time.

IF Harper thinks he so right than let HIM call an election and let the voters be the judge! I believe he won't because he knows he'd lose his PMO and alot of his ministers!

Not a chance he'll call an election. At this point, he's praying that the separatists continue to prop up his government as they did with the budget.

Then again, without screwing British Columbia and Saskatchewan, how would Harper come up with bushels of money for Quebec? No wonder the Bloc supported the budget and continues to prop up the Conservatives.

Was it Harper who coined the phrase The West Wants In? He sure delivered...to Quebec.

The idea of screwing B.C. and Sask to get bushels of money is not so realistic. The two of them make up a small fraction of Ontario's annual revenue.

And I don't think the Tories are anywhere near the largess dumped on Quebec by the previous Liberal governments.

IF Harper thinks he so right than let HIM call an election and let the voters be the judge! I believe he won't because he knows he'd lose his PMO and alot of his ministers!

Not a chance he'll call an election. At this point, he's praying that the separatists continue to prop up his government as they did with the budget.

The Canadian public still doesn't want an election.

Respect for the electorate is why they won't call an election.

And I don't think the Tories are anywhere near the largess dumped on Quebec by the previous Liberal governments.

Harper's been in power for less than a year and a half and he's already promised the government of Quebec 4.8 billion dollars through equalization. The Liberals were small change pikers by comparison.

Harper's been in power for less than a year and a half and he's already promised the government of Quebec 4.8 billion dollars through equalization. The Liberals were small change pikers by comparison.

tsk, tsk. Over how many years? by avoiding simple things like this you diminish your posts. It's 2 years plus, and it is alot, but at least the Tories are doing it publicly, not with envelopes stuffed with cash.

Edit: On top of it all, we don't really know how much the Libs gave away since they kept it off the books, but if the gun registry and Human Resources budgets are any indication, it's more than the Tories.

tsk, tsk. Over how many years? by avoiding simple things like this you diminish your posts. It's 2 years plus,

You think it's been 2 years plus since the January, 2006 election? :lol:

But I'll grant you this: It does not diminish your post.

You made it sound like it was a lump sum payment, after 18 months in power.

That's your completely biased interpretation. At 9:04 am TODAY on this same thread I provided a link:

http://billtieleman.blogspot.com/2007/03/b...ote-buying.html

That link, had you read it, made it clear that the money was promised over two years. It's always a good idea to do your homework before making allegations.

Yes, and you characterized it this afternoon with no time frame for the payment, which I pointed out. Twice you responded to my accusation without correcting yourself. Further, you never bothered to respond to my other point, which was that the B.C. and Sask budgets were mere fractions of the Ontario one, so your remark on B.C. and Sask being gouged by the Feds to pay for the Quebec largess is also inaccurate.