Khadr should make us ashamed to be Canadian

Guest American Woman

Seems to me that if Khadr had only killed another few American soldiers we would be ready to build him a friggin monument and buy him a house on the beach.

Thankfully it's the minority who feel that way; the vast majority don't seem to be sympathetic towards him at all. Hopefully the government won't cave in an give him a huge settlement, though; I think that would be a big mistake - and very well could get him that house on the beach.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankfully it's the minority who feel that way; the vast majority don't seem to be sympathetic towards him at all. Hopefully the government won't cave in an give him a huge settlement, though; I think that would be a big mistake - and very well could get him that house on the beach.

Sad that just 65 years ago we were willing to execute people who commit treason and now we reward them.

It seems to me that Canadians are ready to reward criminals,

John Baird and the Harper Conservatives endorse that...they welcomed their criminal buddy Conrad Black with open arms.

Heck, Harper had one serving as his senior adviser... remember Bruce Carson?

Its more of them not giving him any money. If the Supreme Court orders it that a whole different thing but I don't think even the Supreme court is that out of touch with reality.

Given the judgement it's already handed down in his favour I'd say the order that the government now compensate him for denying him his Charter right's is inevitable.

Conclusion

[48] The appeal is allowed in part. Mr. Khadr’s application for judicial review is allowed in part. This Court declares that through the conduct of Canadian officials in the course of interrogations in 2003-2004, as established on the evidence before us, Canada actively participated in a process contrary to Canada’s international human rights obligations and contributed to Mr. Khadr’s ongoing detention so as to deprive him of his right to liberty and security of the person guaranteed by s. 7 of the Charter, contrary to the principles of fundamental justice. Costs are awarded to Mr. Khadr.

The fact Omar Khadr was a minor will weigh heavily against the government when the SC awards him his settlement.

Guest American Woman

Its more of them not giving him any money. If the Supreme Court orders it that a whole different thing but I don't think even the Supreme court is that out of touch with reality.

The Supreme Court, in its ruling on Khadr's case, didn't order an award of money; it didn't even require that the Canadian government try to get him back to Canada. Since there's already been a ruling on the violation of his rights without any monetary awards, I have to wonder why there would be another Supreme Court hearing/ruling about it.

The Supreme Court, in its ruling on Khadr's case, didn't order an award of money; it didn't even require that the Canadian government try to get him back to Canada. Since there's already been a ruling on the violation of his rights without any monetary awards, I have to wonder why there would be another Supreme Court hearing/ruling about it.

He can file a civil suit against the government using the SCC ruling to bolster his claim of damages. That case could end up before the SCC on a appeal.

This is all actually quite likely unless the government just decides to pay him to go away which is also possible.

The Supreme Court, in its ruling on Khadr's case, didn't order an award of money; it didn't even require that the Canadian government try to get him back to Canada.

The ruling appears to have left the door open for the government to do the right thing while making it pretty clear what that should be.

The appropriate remedy in this case is to declare that K’s Charter rights were violated, leaving it to the government to decide how best to respond in light of current information, its responsibility over foreign affairs, and the Charter.

Since there's already been a ruling on the violation of his rights without any monetary awards, I have to wonder why there would be another Supreme Court hearing/ruling about it.

I don't see anything in the ruling that says the government can't be held liable for having decided to do the wrong thing.

Note the ruling did award Khadr his legal costs for the case.

Edited by eyeball

Can the family of the American soldier take him to court? If we have to pay this animal might as well get the money to someone who could use it for something other then killing Canadians and Americans.

Guest American Woman

Can the family of the American soldier take him to court? If we have to pay this animal might as well get the money to someone who could use it for something other then killing Canadians and Americans.

Hmmmm. Interesting concept.

Really...do we want more frivolous American lawsuits. GI Joe signed up voluntarily to earn a paycheck...he knew what he was getting himself into...he died... sucks for him but war is hell.

At most...workers comp benefits for his family is all I'd give him.

Khadr's going to get himself a nice chunk of change in this settlement...and given the way he was treated, he deserves every penny.

Really...do we want more frivolous American lawsuits. GI Joe signed up voluntarily to earn a paycheck...he knew what he was getting himself into...he died... sucks for him but war is hell.

Khadr's going to get himself a nice chunk of change in this settlement...and given the way he was treated, he deserves every penny.

Really...do we want more frivolous Terrorist lawsuits against Canada. Mr Taliban signed up voluntarily to kill people...he knew what he was getting himself into...he was captured... sucks for him but war is hell.

At most...manual labour is all I'd give him.

Sergeant First Class Christopher Speer's family are going to get some insurance...and given the way he was murdered, they deserves so much more.

Really...do we want more frivolous Terrorist lawsuits against Canada. Mr Taliban signed up voluntarily to kill people...he knew what he was getting himself into...he was captured... sucks for him but war is hell.

At most...manual labour is all I'd give him.

Sergeant First Class Christopher Speer's family are going to get some insurance...and given the way he was murdered, they deserves so much more.

You should look up the meaning of the word frivalous. And nobody was "murdered". A soldier died in a war.

You should look up the meaning of the word frivalous. And nobody was "murdered". A soldier died in a war.

Yeah and a terrorist was captured. It goes both ways. It can't be that an American had no business being in Afghanistan and thus was rightly killed while a Canadian had all the reason to be there to kill Americans and when he was captured he was was a victim.

The Government of Canada cannot intervene in the judicial affairs of a sovereign country, nor can it seek preferential treatment or try to exempt Canadian citizens from the due process of local law," wrote spokesperson Ann Matejicka.

Our government could have repatriated Omar Khadr simply by asking, just like all the other western countries and allies who had citizens under US arrest did.

It's a good thing it's not up to you, funney how we all stand up and cheer for Omar because his rights were infringed upon, rights given to him because he was born on Canadian soil..rights that he spits on and wants to destroy..not just him but his entire family...they don't seem to mind the welfare their handed every month though, or our medi care..no they seem to like that.......we seem to care more about them than we do our soldiers...

Own soldiers lived in far worse conditions than any of these dirt bags had to languish in..3 meals a day, climate controled rooms, access to TV , religous time, etc etc etc...while our guys lived in the dirt, got eatten alive by ticks,fleas,slept with scorpions, snakes, camel spiders, we had a choice drink the water or bath we opted to shave with a 1/3 of our water, for months on end, until rashes became to sore you could barely walk...try and cope with having the squits in 60 degree heat and no time to stop and relieve your self, having to shit yourself because it was not safe to stop....carried over 160 lbs in heat approaching some days 60 degrees celuis....But you know all this , it's what i volunteered for right...i know i get it all the time STF up...quit complaining...But hey.... keep crying for your man Omar....His rights are more important than mine, or any soldiers, even yours...I mean we were born here, grew up here, we are not terrorists, we picked our nation to serve in, and not some terrorist organization half way around the world...

And we right it off as part of the job, we knew what we were getting into....these soldiers come back to be paid off with chump change...and we wave it off again ...

, in the Canadian military, as i'm not familar with US forces policy, but upon death each serving Married Military member is entitled to 250,000, if you are deemed single the member gets ) benifits from the VAC. each soldier is encouraged to take out a military insurence plan which can pay out up to 660 K providing the soldier has the ins as it is not manatory. The basic pkg for death is a free funeral, with basic casket and head stone. Note there is NO workmans comp for any military member ever...

Getting compensation from VAC is a very complicated process, and requires the assistance of a lawyer, as an example a friend of mine involved in a IED explosion lost hearing in both ears, and lost the full use of his right arm recieved 1800.00 dollars and was forced to retire....while another indiv recieved 160 K for PTSD...I'm sure you can find more examples on goggle...

As for Omar reciving any cash to flaunt around during his new found freedom it is a myth, Omar has an outstanding lawsuit file by his victim's wife and one of soldiers wounded during the same fight , the US courts have awarded a 120 Mil settlement to them...

Unless the Canadian government settles for more than that i think Omar, will have to settle for the welfare check as the rest of his family...

My link

My link

My link

Try again, if a soldier kills civilains intentionally it is murder, and if a civilian intentionally kills a soldier it is murder....The only time it cancels each other out is if a soldier kills another soldier.

Just wondering...

How much was the lawsuit for the families of the murdered/man-slaughtered Canadian soldiers that the Americans killed with their 'friendly fire' :lol:

The fact remains, you don't want to risk getting killed, don't voluntarily sign up to go into a job where it's a possibility.

They deserve no more special treatment than a cab driver who gets killed in a car accident while on duty.

Just wondering...

How much was the lawsuit for the families of the murdered/man-slaughtered Canadian soldiers that the Americans killed with their 'friendly fire' :lol:

The fact remains, you don't want to risk getting killed, don't voluntarily sign up to go into a job where it's a possibility.

They deserve no more special treatment than a cab driver who gets killed in a car accident while on duty.

You don't want to risk getting killed/captured font be a terrorist... I am astounded with your one sided view. You are perfectly willing to say the soldier is responsible for his actions and earned his consequences yet the little shit Khadr isn't. Next time there is a flood, or a major storm we should probably call the Taliban seeing as they are more respected by the likes of you. Better hide your women though, the Taliban might not like all the freedom they have...But then again if you are such a staunch supporter of the Taliban maybe you will meet their standards in controlling the females in your life.