Should shooting beggars be allowed?

Not that I don't have sympathy for people legitimately down on their luck, but first the Lefties emptied all the crazy people out of the nut wards, and then they made it impossible to do anything about their unpleasant presence in the streets. I know how irritating they are in my city, and clearly in other cities as well. They're dirty, often violent, and quite frankly, a waste of skin tissue. What should be done about them?

You won't find the answer from Toronto's Lefty mayor. The following is a laughable indictement of how the ideology of the Left ignores reality, ignores the problems real people have, and takes comfort in absurd psychobabble rather than dealing with problems.

Residents Rage against Panhandlers

The committee voted to scrap the financial impacts study -- which could have provided legal justification for a bylaw -- and replace it with a plan that would see business groups co-operate on a "holistic" approach to address panhandling problems in a way that, "maintains the rights and dignity of the urban poor."

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

workcamps

I am astounded by the panhandlers I see. Most are young between 18 and 25, most are white male and punkish......

They could learn a thing or two up north clearing timber and actually earning money.....

workcamps

I am astounded by the panhandlers I see. Most are young between 18 and 25, most are white male and punkish......

They could learn a thing or two up north clearing timber and actually earning money.....

Good enough for 18-25 year olds, but most of the bums I see are much older.

workcamps

Good enough for 18-25 year olds, but most of the bums I see are much older.

A lot of them are not capable of looking after themselves, but the do-gooders insist they have the "right" to do as they want, even if that's sleeping in an alley and eating out of a garbage can. Some should be institutionalized, others sent to some kind of institutional work camp where they could get treatment but also do some kind of simple, meaningful work.

A lot of them are not capable of looking after themselves, but the do-gooders insist they have the "right" to do as they want, even if that's sleeping in an alley and eating out of a garbage can. Some should be institutionalized, others sent to some kind of institutional work camp where they could get treatment but also do some kind of simple, meaningful work.

For the ones who can't cope, they have my pity and concern. For every one who is disabled in some way I see 20 who are just panhandling so thay can enjoy the freedom of the street. What might seem like a fun thing (bumming money, drinking, doing drugs, staying up late without parents...) when you are 17 can be a serious handicap when you are 24.....try and get a job without an address.....try and get a job addicted to cheap junk.....

If they want to sleep in an alley or eat out of a garbage can, why do you care? If they want to live in a nice home and eat good food, they can work for it.

... first the Lefties emptied all the crazy people out of the nut wards, ...

That doesn't pass the sniff test.

Which lefties did that, where, and when? (Please provide sources.)

figleaf, you are a glutton for punishment, no?

" first the Lefties emptied all the crazy people out of the nut wards,"

when I see, such an utter display of ignorance, and nastiness towards the mentally ill and there extended families , which is horrendous.

who go through hell, BTW.

when in fact if | recall correctly it was Mike Harris, that emptied the psychiatric ward?????

it's not worthy, but, you, I hope will have fun with it!

Cause that's all it's worth, ridicule.

Throw in a dose of contempt.

IMO, though waste of time.

workcamps

Prisons for the crime of poverty.

So, why not just shoot them? It would be cheaper than transporting them, and the unions wouldn't cry that the dirty indigents are stealing their jobs.

But we'd better not go for a final solution -- wouldn't want to break Christ's promise to the rich, "you will always have the poor".

Shoot them? Heavens, no. We should allocate funds to study them. In detail.

The city conducted a Street Needs Assessment of Toronto's homeless population last year, but Brown said this pilot project would go further than that study.

"We want to help improve their circumstances," he said. "It is not the Street Needs Assessment for passive panhandlers."

Link

----

At a busy intersection in Montreal recently, I saw a guy begging for money with a cat sitting on his shoulder. The cat was cute and the ploy seemed to work.

At first, it ran through my mind that if this guy wants to live like this, breathe all these fumes and suffer the noise, that's his choice. But does he have the right to impose such a choice on an innocent animal?

Then, thinking of India, I realized that this is one step on a slippery slope. In the competition for sympathy, there's almost no limit. We're likely to see guys with limping dogs, earless cats or hungry kittens poking their heads out of knapsacks.

Shoot them? Heavens, no. We should allocate funds to study them. In detail.
The city conducted a Street Needs Assessment of Toronto's homeless population last year, but Brown said this pilot project would go further than that study.

"We want to help improve their circumstances," he said. "It is not the Street Needs Assessment for passive panhandlers."

Link

----

At a busy intersection in Montreal recently, I saw a guy begging for money with a cat sitting on his shoulder. The cat was cute and the ploy seemed to work.

Euthanize the cat.

Then, thinking of India, I realized that this is one step on a slippery slope. In the competition for sympathy, there's almost no limit. We're likely to see guys with limping dogs, earless cats or hungry kittens poking their heads out of knapsacks.

:lol: Farmers mooching for subsidies, bankers grubbing for mergers, telecoms pleading for deregulation, manufacturers sulking for tax breaks, broadcasters begging for hand-outs, judges crying for more vacation, ... and politicians voting themselves raises.

I think the originator of this post has been reading The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.

No doubt you'd read it if it were in comic book form and you had someone over the age of twelve to explain the big words to you.

Guest coot

It's true that it was largely conservative governments that cut funding to institutions to house these people. Blaming it all on "lefties" is profoundly simplistic and downright incorrect. If anyone is to be blamed, it's the libertarian element that argues for all individuals' right to personal freedom. But I wouldn't blame them, because I agree with them.

... first the Lefties emptied all the crazy people out of the nut wards, ...

That doesn't pass the sniff test.

Which lefties did that, where, and when? (Please provide sources.)

figleaf, you are a glutton for punishment, no?

" first the Lefties emptied all the crazy people out of the nut wards,"

when I see, such an utter display of ignorance, and nastiness towards the mentally ill and there extended families , which is horrendous.

who go through hell, BTW.

when in fact if | recall correctly it was Mike Harris, that emptied the psychiatric ward?????

it's not worthy, but, you, I hope will have fun with it!

Cause that's all it's worth, ridicule.

Throw in a dose of contempt.

IMO, though waste of time.

Exactly, the anti-Christ hate filled evangelical Dominionists first play through political life was enough back in the Irish famine days. Where a million Irish died, many in the fields with their mouths green from eating grass. Because of the whacked religious cults.

Victorian evangelicals took a similar approach to the crisis in Ireland between 1845 and 1850—the Great Hunger, what came to he known as the potato famine. In office at the time of the first reports of starvation, the Tory ad-ministration of Robert Peel responded with a program of food supports, importing yellow cornmeal from the United States and selling it cheaply to wholesalers. Corn was an unfamiliar grain in Ireland, but it provided a cheap food source. In 1846, however, a Whig government headed by Lord Russell succeeded Peel and quickly dismantled the relief program. Russell and most of his central staff were fervent evangelicals, and they regarded the cornmeal program as an artificial intervention into the free market. Charles Trevelyan, assistant secretary of the treasury, called the program a "monstrous centralization" and argued that it would simply perpetuate the problems of the Irish poor. Trevelyan viewed the potato-dependent economy as the result of Irish backwardness and self-indulgence.

http://www.mindfully.org/Industry/2005/Eva...omics1may05.htm

Guest coot
Is that a denial?

More like an example of the tendency of many on this forum to go straight for the strawman or the ad hominem. I've had ad hominems thrown at me (I think by this very poster) that weren't even based on anything I had posted. I've only been here a week, but I'm about ready to pack it in.

Very juvenile, overall.

Is that a denial?

More like an example of the tendency of many on this forum to go straight for the strawman or the ad hominem. I've had ad hominems thrown at me (I think by this very poster) that weren't even based on anything I had posted. I've only been here a week, but I'm about ready to pack it in.

Very juvenile, overall.

Some posters, IMO like that which you mention, seem to be paid by someone to provide some type of service to attack the poster, or deflect away from what was presented in an effort to turn the page, so people will not ten to read the whole thread, or page in question.

Not juvenille, though they would like to make it appear as such, it is actually a propaganda ploy that was exercised on other talk forums, in the lead into the USA illegally attacking Iraq, and the whole mess that has happened sense. It is just another way to try and stop the voices of truth.

Hopefully,you do not allow them to silence you.