Blackburn contract problems

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...27?hub=Politics

Labour Minister Jean-Pierre Blackburn granted a $25,000 contract to a staffer in his riding office who was already a full-time employee on the federal payroll, documents show.

The government paid Daniel Giguere $24,804 over a six-month contract as a speech writer while Giguere was employed as an adviser with an annual salary of $35,000, according to the documents obtained by The Canadian Press.

How is it that a full-time employee gets hired for contract work by the same minister that hired him?

It may just be an alternative work arrangement or something like that, who knows.

Again, best not to jump to conclusions, that's not alot of money for an adviser/speech writer.

But jumping to conclusions is what it's all about.

You are right that $35 K is not a lot to pay someboby working in your constituency office. However, it is not a salary level that is unheard of for those sorts of jobs.

It may just be an alternative work arrangement or something like that, who knows.

Again, best not to jump to conclusions, that's not alot of money for an adviser/speech writer.

Perhaps Blackburn can explain it in the House.

You won't get any answers. Any question that is posed to the Cons in the House is answered by mudslinging, deflections and name calling. I thought the Libs were bad at not answering questions but this government takes the big prize.
Perhaps, but then there will be no reason to drag this thread on for multiple pages with false accusations and innuendo. :lol:
AND blanket unfounded attacks.

You won't get any answers. Any question that is posed to the Cons in the House is answered by mudslinging, deflections and name calling. I thought the Libs were bad at not answering questions but this government takes the big prize.

Perhaps, but then there will be no reason to drag this thread on for multiple pages with false accusations and innuendo. :lol:
AND blanket unfounded attacks.

Yes we are the great unwashed and we do not understand how these people are our saviours.

Yes we are the great unwashed and we do not understand how these people are our saviours.

One thing is clear on this issue, if Blackburn did pay a full-time worker for contract work, it is against federal law.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...y/National/home

Federal law clearly forbids granting contracts to people who are already on the federal payroll, as in Mr. Giguere's case.

Because the value of the contract is less than $25,000, a competitive bidding process was not necessary.

The contract and bills were approved by Mr. Blackburn's chief of staff, Michel Lalonde.

Here is Blackburn's response.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/070528/...ckburn_contract

Blackburn acknowledged the contract raised Giguere's wages, noting that when he was recruited for the federal government, Giguere was making good money in a job at Hydro-Quebec.

"I'm sure that for Mr. Giguere, $35,000 would be unreasonable," he said. "He's a man of high calibre."

However, federal rules generally forbid government employees from getting contracts.

Blackburn continued his defence in the Commons, saying that it is normal that someone be paid for work done.

He pointed out that Giguere split his time between riding work and work for the cabinet and was paid accordingly.

Blackburn's candor surprised the opposition.

Liberal MP Marcel Proulx said he has no doubts about the impropriety of the contract.

"The minister admits it was done to increase the salary of the employee but says it was done according to the rules," he said. "These two ideas don't jibe."

Bloc Quebecois MP Jean-Yves Roy asked why Blackburn had acted in this manner since rules allow ministers to offer riding assistants maximum salaries of $74,000.

Someone broke the law here. The RCMP should be advised.

The law would only be broken if it were a Liberal paying a full-time worker for contract work. If the Cons do it it was a misunderstanding of the rules or the rules weren't fully known. And besides, the Liberals must have done it at one time thus allowing the Cons to continue their ongoing whine ... "but the Liberals"...

The law would only be broken if it were a Liberal paying a full-time worker for contract work. If the Cons do it it was a misunderstanding of the rules or the rules weren't fully known. And besides, the Liberals must have done it at one time thus allowing the Cons to continue their ongoing whine ... "but the Liberals"...

Reported. heh

Are you a lawyer?

Did anyone say 'but the Liberals' in this thread?

And yet we did get an answer. If it had been the Liberals, we would have gotten a shove off from Chretien, a shrug from Trudeau or a pointless judicial enquiry from Martin.

From the G & M article:

Documents show the government also paid him $24,804 to edit speeches “on a contractual basis” at the request of the minister.

Federal law clearly forbids granting contracts to people who are already on the federal payroll, as in Mr. Giguere's case.

Because the value of the contract is less than $25,000, a competitive bidding process was not necessary.

The contract and bills were approved by Mr. Blackburn's chief of staff, Michel Lalonde.

Mr. Blackburn's spokeswoman said in an e-mail that all Treasury Board rules were followed and the details of the contracts were divulged “to conform with all expectations of transparency and responsibility.”

Here's what Blackburn said specifically:

"Do you think for one moment I would do anything illegal?" he said. "These kinds of things are . . . in the rules and (it was) approved by the financial comptroller of the department."
CanWest

[i note the G&M report didn't carry that quote. It seems to me the G & M is increasingly playing to its English urban boomer latte drinking audience.]

----

If this is the best the Liberals can dig up (and the NDP play along with), then Dion is going nowhere.

This is a non-scandal and this crew is not going to be brought down on profligacy. Heck, Harper's latest trip to Afghanistan started with a Challenger to Europe. Chretien and Martin never took a Challenger to Europe.

Perhaps Blackburn could have organized things differently but he's guilty of nothing. In any case, there are far more important matters happening.

What is wrong with this guy, blackburn definatly have an ethic problem...

Plus récemment, Jean-Pierre Blackburn a fait les manchettes après que la Presse Canadienne eut dévoilé qu'il avait omis de comptabiliser à son nom des frais de déplacement en avion nolisé totalisant 150 000 $.

Here it say he used 150 000$ for flights and he "forgot" to write those spendings under his name...

Jean-Pierre Blackburn n'a par ailleurs pas expliqué pourquoi il avait jugé bon de verser entre 1750 $ et 3000 $ pour chacun des discours rédigés par Daniel Giguère, même si plusieurs d'entre eux comportaient des similitudes troublantes.

Here he pays his speechs between 1750$ and 3000$ each... WTF ? 3000$ for a speech ? Does he think we are stupid or what !!! Its clear he his using our money prolly to pay old friends who contributed to his campain...

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20070528.../1025/FRONTPAGE

If this is the best the Liberals can dig up (and the NDP play along with), then Dion is going nowhere.

This is a non-scandal and this crew is not going to be brought down on profligacy. Heck, Harper's latest trip to Afghanistan started with a Challenger to Europe. Chretien and Martin never took a Challenger to Europe.

Perhaps Blackburn could have organized things differently but he's guilty of nothing. In any case, there are far more important matters happening.

What part of double dipping doesn't Blackburn not understand? It is illegal under the law.

I'm not sure why you are defending a minister who had the simple option of paying his assistant more with the budget he had.

I'd like to hear from the comptroller to see how he regards the situation. It certainly looks like double dipping, don't you think?

This does have an impact. If it walks and quacks like a duck, it is probably a duck. Most people will see it as such.

As for your Martin and Chretien comment, it is the pat response for the "Liberals did it as well or worse."

In this case, you have no evidence what aircraft they used. If you do, please show it.

It still means that Blackburn is double dipping to pay a staffer.

Dobbin, I'll be more direct.

If Dion wants to pursue this, he can go ahead. You'll note however that to my knowledge, the BQ has said nothing. Daniel Giguere was mayor of Jonquiere. Dion is a fool to take this up and I don't believe he's really behind it. This story may show how little Dion has control over his caucus.

BTW, Blackburn is no neophyte. He was first elected in Mulroney's 1984 sweep.

Dobbin, I'll be more direct.

If Dion wants to pursue this, he can go ahead. You'll note however that to my knowledge, the BQ has said nothing. Daniel Giguere was mayor of Jonquiere. Dion is a fool to take this up and I don't believe he's really behind it. This story may show how little Dion has control over his caucus.

BTW, Blackburn is no neophyte. He was first elected in Mulroney's 1984 sweep.

Dion wasn't even the one who revealed the double dipping. It was a CP freedom of information request.

The law is quite clear on people who receive a federal salary and receive a contract. It is illegal. You think it is not. I'd like to hear why the comptroller thinks the double dipping is acceptable.

The Opposition did its job in asking what is happening with this contract. You seem to think it is none of their business. I saw no out of control caucus asking Blackburn questions.

As far as your assertion that the BQ has said nothing:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/070528/...ckburn_contract

Bloc Quebecois MP Jean-Yves Roy asked why Blackburn had acted in this manner since rules allow ministers to offer riding assistants maximum salaries of $74,000.

"If he wanted to increase his pay, why didn't he simply raise his salary?" Roy said.

I'd like an answer to that question as well.

Failing all that, perhaps the whole thing should be turned over to the RCMP.

Did anyone say 'but the Liberals' in this thread?

We all know it's coming. It's the constant whine that the Stevies can't stop using for justifying broken promises, questionable actions, double dipping, obstructions, unaccountability, non-transparency and whatever other nefarious and objectionable actions this government takes.

I would like to see Blackburns resignation.

I don't know how they can make exceptions for double dipping. He maintains he is within the law but the law on full-time workers on the federal payroll is that they can't take a government contract as well.

If Blackburn can do it, everyone can do it.

I don't know how they can make exceptions for double dipping. He maintains he is within the law but the law on full-time workers on the federal payroll is that they can't take a government contract as well.

If Blackburn can do it, everyone can do it.

I think the public is running out of options when it comes to accountability. There is little defence for Blackburns miscalculation. He should simply say he errored. He wishes to maintain he is within the law. I don't know if this is what the general public had in mind when electing a conservative government.

Of course everyone can do it, if he did it and this practice is allowed to continue.

Why was it necessary to reward a fulltime worker with a government contract?