CPC Could be Longest Lasting Minority Gov't

The Conservatives are on the way to becoming one of the longest lasting minority govs. in Canada's history, and could go even longer - gee whoda thunk it. If things percolate along it could outlive the average minority gov. lifespan - one more month.

I wouldn't place any bets on an election this year either, as Harper has given up the power to spring al election at whim. We know that Mr. Chretien abused those powers and Mr. Martin wasn't any different.

Who knows, they could hang in until until Oct. 19, 2009 - would that break a record.

The Conservatives are on the way to becoming one of the longest lasting minority govs. in Canada's history, and could go even longer - gee whoda thunk it. If things percolate along it could outlive the average minority gov. lifespan - one more month.

I wouldn't place any bets on an election this year either, as Harper has given up the power to spring al election at whim. We know that Mr. Chretien abused those powers and Mr. Martin wasn't any different.

Who knows, they could hang in until until Oct. 19, 2009 - would that break a record.

Even if the Conservatives hang on until October 19th, 2009 it still wouldn't break a record.

Two of MacKenzie King's minorities lasted longer. The first was 39 days short of four years and the second was 48 days short of four years. An October 19th election would have any new Government sworn in right around Halloween. That would put the Conservatives at about 95 days short of four years.

However, Harper has a distinct chance of running the third longest minority Government. That's right around the two year and eight month mark.

As long as we make it to labour day without an election being called this will be the fourth longest minority Government.

Joke Lark talked about governing "as if he had a majority". Harper did it.

For someone who spends a lot of time on a Canadian board, I would expect you would be more abreast with Canadian news.

Harper has been far from majority style governing, his working with opposition, his paul martin style budget are proof positive this isn't your normal going to commit political suicide conservatives.

As such, by not tabling odious bills, he makes it difficult and dangerous for any opposition to roll the die and vote down what might be popular legislation.

Harper has been far from majority style governing, his working with opposition, his paul martin style budget are proof positive this isn't your normal going to commit political suicide conservatives.

As such, by not tabling odious bills, he makes it difficult and dangerous for any opposition to roll the die and vote down what might be popular legislation.

Normal going to commit political suicide Conservatives?

What are you referring to with that one?

The Conservatives have no plans for odious bills.

They have for the most part fulfilled the five priorities. They have to spend the summer coming up with a new agenda. Afghanistan and the environment have to top the list.

However, Harper has a distinct chance of running the third longest minority Government. That's right around the two year and eight month mark.

As long as we make it to labour day without an election being called this will be the fourth longest minority Government.

At that point will they still be the "new" government of Canada?

I always felt Harper was playing both sides of the election issue. He was/is positioning his govt for one, so when the opportunity came he could call one. When I heard that when Kenny went back to Alberta at Easter and he got an ear full about the Interest Income, I knew they couldn't call an election and then the detainees issue came and now, some ministers not making public their expenses.

Joe Clark "lets move our embassay to Jeruslaem...."

Joe Clark "lets move our embassay to Jeruslaem...."

Joe Clark is far from the normal.

He handled that minority Government so poorly it was an embarrassment.

His entire career up to losing to Mulroney was riddled with tactical errors.

The tantrum he threw over the merging of the parties was going out with a whimper.

For someone who spends a lot of time on a Canadian board, I would expect you would be more abreast with Canadian news.

I mind the insult, not the education. Harper sure seems to be getting what he wants. And tabling most of what I would have expected he would have tabled in a majority government anyway.

We all know, from the experience of the Mulroney-Campbell mandate, what can happen to a majority. No one holds a gun to the head of its members to stay on board.

I mind the insult, not the education. Harper sure seems to be getting what he wants. And tabling most of what I would have expected he would have tabled in a majority government anyway.

We all know, from the experience of the Mulroney-Campbell mandate, what can happen to a majority. No one holds a gun to the head of its members to stay on board.

No insult was intended. It just that when you start to make accords withg other parties (NDP, BQ) your proposals are going to be more conscensus driven.....

The only reason will be because not of the CPC's success in coalition governing but they are scared to death of an election they know they will lose. And the Bloc are being equally self serving in not bringing down the government.

So it's self-serving to not force an election the vast majority of Canadians do not want???

Seems to me like that is giving the public what they want.

So it's self-serving to not force an election the vast majority of Canadians do not want???

Seems to me like that is giving the public what they want.

Why do Canadians hate elections so much? I'm at the polls tomorrow, for the third time in a calendar year, and next year it will be four (4) times. We don't seem to mind, and don't say Americans don't vote. I've missed one minor local election since 1975, and that's it.

We don't seem to mind, and don't say Americans don't vote. I've missed one minor local election since 1975, and that's it.

Ask EJ Dionne about why.

You know better than using yourself, clearly more engaged than your fellow Americans, as an example.

Turnout for US Presidentials is lower than Canadian elections.

You know better than using yourself, clearly more engaged than your fellow Americans, as an example.
I forget, am I supposed to be "clearly more engaged than (my) fellow Americans" or "clearly more knowledgeable about Canada than (my) fellow Americans"?

I'm confused.