Cons not looking after Canadians children

This can hardly be blamed on the Conservatives, rather it is because of 13 years of inaction by the Liberals and what about Adscam?????

Regardless, the Liberals were WAY worse.

oh, and Dion doesn't speak good english and is half a citizen of France.

Thank you.

A report I saw on CBC this AM, said Canada went from 5th to 25th, in the world, as far as caring for its children. The report went on and said that social programs have been cut from this government and the children are suffering for it.

Oh!

Well somebody ought to advice Margaret and Sophie Trudeau to quit their circus act in Africa and do something about our children here in Canada! After all, isn't Justin gunning for the lead?

A report I saw on CBC this AM, said Canada went from 5th to 25th, in the world, as far as caring for its children. The report went on and said that social programs have been cut from this government and the children are suffering for it.

It's hard to comment when so few details have been provided. Children are suffering, how? Which social programs have directly impacted children? 5th to 25th on what scale, and how is it measured?

Details please.

All this has happened in the last 15 months? What programs have the CPC cut, that would bring such a speedy result and a report. I've searched CBC and googled but so far havn't found it. You should really change the title of your post until you can prove it.

All this has happened in the last 15 months? What programs have the CPC cut, that would bring such a speedy result and a report. I've searched CBC and googled but so far havn't found it. You should really change the title of your post until you can prove it.

Scribs.. I covered this excuse above, please don't waste bandwidth with the same excuses. Jeesh.

Thank you.

I saw that this morning but I thought it was on Canada AM. I also googled to find nothing on it.

Here's the story and the link:

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/health/070508/x050817A.html

Canada's ranking plunges on international scale measuring children's outlook

Published: Tuesday, May 8, 2007 | 5:45 PM ET

Canadian Press: PAT HEWITT

TORONTO (CP) - On the eve of Mother's Day, a new report from an international charity shows Canada is plunging on a scale assessing the outlook for children in the world's countries.

The report from Save the Children, based in London, has Canada dropping over the past year to 25th place from 5th on the Children's Index. The humanitarian group's index ranks 140 countries on measures such as children's mortality under the age of five, enrolment in day care, nursery school and secondary school.

The United Kingdom is ranked 21st while the U.S. is at No. 30.

"I think we are slipping," said David Morely, president and chief executive officer of Save the Children in Canada. "We have been cutting back on our social programs and we start to see that happening."

Morely said while Canada's economic indicators have been getting stronger, social indicators have not.

"I think if we're going to have a discussion in the country, perhaps it should be about what are the indicators that are going to drive us. Is it going to be economic or going to be social? Or how do we get a mix of the two so that we can move forward as a society?"

Continue Article

He said the main reason for Canada's drop can be attributed to the fact that it lags far behind the Europeans in early childhood education.

"We know that's really key for child development and societal development. We're just not up to the same rate as other countries who are as wealthy as we are," he said.

Canada spends 0.25 per cent of its GDP on early childhood programs while other developed countries spend up to two per cent.

Iraq is ranked worst in the report, which used data from 1990-2005, because it has made the least progress toward improving child survival rates. One in eight Iraqi children died of disease or violence before reaching their fifth birthday.

Save the Children found that improvements in child survival were being reversed in the world's poorest countries, including Botswana, Zimbabwe and Swaziland. Most of the world's 10 million child deaths each year - 94 per cent - occur in just 60 developing countries.

In Canada, the report suggests six out of 1,000 children won't reach their fifth birthday. That's up from five out of 1,000 in a previous report issued at the same time last year.

"It has gone up a bit, but it still is comparable to other countries. We are certainly seeing an increase and it's certainly a very disturbing increase to see that happening here in Canada," Morely said.

While he didn't provide figures, Morely said there are higher mortality rates among First Nations children.

In developing countries, the three biggest killers of children under five are newborn disorders, pneumonia and diarrhea.

But in Canada and in other industrialized countries, the report says children are more likely to die of accidents, intentional harm, drowning, falling, fire and poisoning.

"It is very different than the very, very, high death rates that we see in countries in sub-Saharan Africa or in war-torn areas where it is a lack of access to basic health care, not enough nutrition and easily preventable diseases are what kill children there," Morely said.

"Here in Canada, where we do have a strong public health system, it tends to be accidents, except for some of the remote indigenous communities where health care is harder to get at."

Factors contributing to children dying young in industrialized countries, the report found, include single parenthood, low levels of maternal education, teenage motherhood, substandard housing, large family size and parental drug or alcohol addiction. And death rates are higher for male children.

"With Mother's Day coming up this weekend, and we're always talking about how we want to celebrate and honour our mothers, this report is trying to take a look at the situation of mothers and their young children all around the world and have all of us think as a society, well, what are we doing as a society to make sure that mothers and children are well cared for," said Morely.

"It's not only what governments can do. It's what all of us as a society want to do to be sure that mothers and children are well cared for. That's what this report is for."

© The Canadian Press, 2007

He said the main reason for Canada's drop can be attributed to the fact that it lags far behind the Europeans in early childhood education.

"We know that's really key for child development and societal development. We're just not up to the same rate as other countries who are as wealthy as we are," he said.

Canada spends 0.25 per cent of its GDP on early childhood programs while other developed countries spend up to two per cent.

So they make a decision based on a stat.

Aside from that, isn't there something called parenting?

Here's a link to the complete report: Report

Given that the Save The Children Organization calculates the index based upon the following data:

• Under-5 mortality rate (per 1,000 live births) - 2005

• Gross primary enrollment ratio (% of total) -2004

• Gross secondary enrollment ratio (% of total) - 2004

And since NONE of the data is from a date when the Conservatives were in power, I'd like Topaz to explain how he came to the conclusion that Conservative cuts to social programs were the cause of the drop in ranking. And perhaps he can also explain what cuts actually affected the ranking.

So they make a decision based on a stat.

Aside from that, isn't there something called parenting?

Why have children if you do not know how to properly raise them?

Besides we have generous equalization and transfer payments the federal government provides to the provinces.

If there is a problem with with social policies, it is a provincial responsibility to relocate more funds to the areas requiring attention, if in fact, a true problem exist.

To correct any problem one must correctly identify what the root problem is initially and determine if it associated with public funding or not.

http://www.fin.gc.ca/FEDPROV/eqpe.html

http://www.fin.gc.ca/access/fedprove.html

People should care for their own damned children, this is Canada, not Zambia. We have the resources to take care of our problems.

The government isn't looking after our children... pfftt... GOOD!

People should care for their own damned children, this is Canada, not Zambia. We have the resources to take care of our problems.

The government isn't looking after our children... pfftt... GOOD!

How many children do you have? I am told that it costs my cousins daughter and her husband $20.000 a year for day care alone. Good job that these are highly paid computer geeks aye.

This is really funny.

Let's imitate the Europeans. They don't have children. European birth rates have fallen well below replacement levels.

I suspect Europeans don't have children in part because they have handede over to the State the task of child-rearing and caring for the elderly.

Oh, the irony! And this organization calls itself "Save the Children"!

----

KeepItSimple, we have a policy of not copying entire copyrighted articles.

How many children do you have? I am told that it costs my cousins daughter and her husband $20.000 a year for day care alone. Good job that these are highly paid computer geeks aye.

Can't afford them, don't have them. Why should I subsidize other's personal life choices?

This report seems to hinge on the above. Meanwhile there's a good article here which seems to indicate that a subsidized child care system may not be all that great either.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/story.h...95-028c36daadc7

A Commons committee is currently examining Bill C- 303, which would mandate funding for early learning and child-care programs in Canada. This private member's bill, introduced on May 17 by New Democratic MP Denise Savoie, is clearly aimed at extending Quebec's 10-year-old model of government- subsidized child care (which many see as a success story) across the country.

But before we try to replicate Quebec's child-care model coast to coast, Ottawa should take a close look at what that model has brought Quebecers. The answer: high costs, little choice, mediocre quality.

The stated goal of Bill C-303 is to "ensure the quality, accessibility, universality and accountability of [child-care] programs in order to promote early childhood development and well being." Is this goal really being met in Quebec?

One of the few extensive studies on the quality of Quebec child-care facilities reported in 2005 that 61% had an overall quality rated as minimal (with scores of 3 to 4.9 out of 7), while 12% were rated as inadequate and 27% as good. Government subsidy and regulation, clearly, does not ensure high quality.

As might be expected, the minimal payment