British Navy Sailors

jdobbin

All the people(and lo, there are many on this board) have had a rude awakening to discover that it might not be the U.S. who bitch slaps Iran.

With typical hard line arrogance, Iran has stepped on a hornet's nest of their own making. Sabers will rattle. Both sides will try to stare down the other. And the U.S. will not need to lift a finger to see Iran has bitten off more than it can chew.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the people(and lo, there are many on this board) have had a rude awakening to discover that it might not be the U.S. who bitch slaps Iran.

With typical hard line arrogance, Iran has stepped on a hornet's nest of their own making. Sabers will rattle. Both sides will try to stare down the other. And the U.S. will not need to lift a finger to see Iran has bitten off more than it can chew.

The Iranians are on a crash course to see there country bombed back into the third century...hey wait! maybe the will be able to bring back that enlightened age they had before Islam slammed the door on Tolerance, education, and reason.

The US has been kidnapping Iranian military officials for months. They have also been going in and conducting terrorist missions inside Iran.

I think we should be able to have threads on world issues unpolluted by loonies and their weird assed conspiracy theories.

I couldn't agree more. Sadly though, some troll here once said, "Hey, it's the internet...get used to it".
It might be time to teach Iran a gentle lesson by eliminating its navy. This isn't the first time they have caused trouble, and I believe if the Brits put their mind to it Iran's navy will be, to coin a phrase "an underwater navy" within a matter of days.
That may be a 'feel good' solution, but it would be one unlikely to bring the return of the kidnap victims.

It is extortion, pure and simple, for Iran stated that they want 'political consessions' in return for the sailors. "Iva-gone-mad" (or however the Iranian leader's name is pronounced) should be given a choice of either returning the sailors with an apology, of facing arrest and prosecution (at The Hague, preferably). I think 'piracy on the high seas' still is a hanging offence most everywhere.

It is extortion, pure and simple, for Iran stated that they want 'political consessions' in return for the sailors. "Iva-gone-mad" (or however the Iranian leader's name is pronounced) should be given a choice of either returning the sailors with an apology, of facing arrest and prosecution (at The Hague, preferably). I think 'piracy on the high seas' still is a hanging offence most everywhere.

Hey, the tactic has worked well for Iran before, when Carter was president. I don't know about the Hague though; threatening him with the Hague is like threatening Hitler with another conference in Munich. From the tone of Blair's talk, it sounds like something more alarming is being threatened.

Iran is being deliberately provocative and on the day before Ahmadinejad was to appear at the U.N. I doubt that was a co-incidence. Ahmadinejad is dangerous and is deliberately trying to up the ante by committing an act of war. Fortunately calmer heads are prevailing at the moment. I'll bet the sailors will be released eventually after they 'apologize for being in Iranian waters'.

Neither does it matter where they were as they were acting under a UN mandate and were acting in good faith, don't forget The Royal Navy are there as part of a UN mandated operation to ensure safety for shipping and help prevent and smuggling. Also if they actually were in Iraqi waters, then so was Iran - interesting isn't it to what an Islamic state morph into a worlwide terroriest organization.

Dear ScottSA,
I don't know about the Hague though; threatening him with the Hague is like threatening Hitler with another conference in Munich
The comparison to the Munich agreement would be more akin to the UN. Tribunals at The Hague at least have a chance for trial, conviction and incarceration.

Well, my point was that the Hague, aside from being generally irrelevant, has first to capture the Mullahs and the Iranian president before it tries them, and given that the French are the backbone of the Hague its more likely that it'll surrender to Iran than the other way around. Nuremburg was only possible after germany lay in ruins.

Why have Iran and Syria's incursions into Iraq gone on without putting them on notice?

Why has no one produced any Syrians or Iranians to prove it?

Iraqi and U.S. troops battled Shi'ite militiamen in a village northeast of Baghdad on Thursday, and witnesses and police said U.S. helicopters bombed orchards to flush out gunmen hiding there.

Iraqi security officials said Iranian fighters had been captured in the fighting, in which a sniper shot dead the commander of an Iraqi quick reaction force and two of his men. They did not say how the Iranians had been identified.

Normally one would think this would be a serious source of embarrassment to the Iranians. Lately, military commanders in Iraq have been more outspoken about Iran's role in supplying the terrorists. Until now, though, they've confined their accusations to financial and material support.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/014565.php

They have. Please don't embarrass yourself further.

Yet tellingly this gets barely a peep from Bush et al. Instead, they trot out explosive devices allegedly manufactured in Iran as exidence of Iranian interference. Now call me crazy, but I would think actual Iranians would make that case far stronger. Which leads us to a few conclusions.

(a) The U.S. or Iraqi government doesn't want to inflame tensions with Iran or is keeping these Iranians as bargaining chips.

(B) the Iraqi security officials are wrong or lying and no Iranians were actually captured.

Now google turned up some other stories in that vein, but there's been little in the way of public statements on this. Something else to consider: an Iranian captured in Iraq is not, in and of itself, evidence of Iranian state involvement. IOW: they may be Iranian, but they might not be Iranian.

If true, however, it changes the complexion of the mess with the UK a bit. Iran could be holding the Brits in response to the capture of their folks. Or it could be unrelated.

Oh, and Scotty? I'm not sure how my asking a question holds the potential for embarrassment for me, but thanks for your concern.

Yet tellingly this gets barely a peep from Bush et al. Instead, they trot out explosive devices allegedly manufactured in Iran as exidence of Iranian interference. Now call me crazy, but I would think actual Iranians would make that case far stronger. Which leads us to a few conclusions.

(a) The U.S., for some unknown reason, doesn't want to inflame tensions with Iran or is keeping these Iranians as bargaining chips.

(B) the Iraqi security officials are wrong or lying and no Iranians were qactually captured.

Now google turned up some other stories in that vein, but there's been little in the way of public statements on this.

If true, however, it changes the complexion of the mess with the UK a bit. Iran could be holding the Brits in response to the capture of their folks. Or it could be unrelated.

Apparently the Iranians captured by the States were in Iraq, it's not like the Americans trotted into Iran and grabbed the first 5 soldiers they seen. The iranians in fact went into Iraqi waters and snatched the Brit sailors. Either way the Brit sailors have been kidnapped and something needs to be done about it. I'd say throw in the fleet right in Iranian waters as a show of force until the prisoners are released.

Who are you imagining would do it?

With typical hard line arrogance, Iran has stepped on a hornet's nest of their own making.

It's hard to agree with that, if the British sailors were indeed in Iranian waters.

"Iva-gone-mad" (or however the Iranian leader's name is pronounced) should be given a choice of either returning the sailors with an apology, of facing arrest and prosecution (at The Hague, preferably). I think 'piracy on the high seas' still is a hanging offence most everywhere.

You seem to be assuming that the British are correct that they were in Iraqi waters. What information do you have in support of that assumption?

lol...you guys are peaches. Turning this obvious kidnapping into the victims' fault. How are your views on rape? She axed fer it??

But...hey...Figleaf and Blackdog can sleep easy at night knowing they hold the same views as PolyNewbie.

As such, you're entitled to your own 'Jewish Banker Detection Kit'...a copy of Bart Sibrel's new book, 'Buzz Aldrin is a Thief and a Liar' plus a beautifully packaged DVD-ROM of Alex Jones new movie, '9-12: The Day I Learned I Could Make A Lot of Money off of Stupid People'.

btw: who started the Viet-nam War?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rediscovered lost footage shows the American flag blowing in the wind. The wind was probably caused by intense air conditioning used to cool the astronauts in their lightened, uncirculated space suits. The cooling systems in the backpacks would have been removed to lighten the load not designed for earth's six times heavier gravity, otherwise they might have fallen over.

---Bart Sibrel