Garth Turner

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turncoat Hee Hee hee guess the same rules should apply to him as you thought should be applied to conservatives huh.....

He's a putz, hes in a snit cos he couldn't have his way, they are welcome to him.

Wasn't he tossed out of the Conservative party? How could he be a turncoat if he doesn't have a party?

Turncoat Hee Hee hee guess the same rules should apply to him as you thought should be applied to conservatives huh.....

He's a putz, hes in a snit cos he couldn't have his way, they are welcome to him.

Wasn't he tossed out of the Conservative party? How could he be a turncoat if he doesn't have a party?

You have a point, but should he not stay as an independent until the next election?

Course all is bitchin about party discipline and he goes to the Libs, he has to toe the party line there or lump it.

They are working on it but its a minority gov't remember the Libs will never go for that. NDP might, what say you.

I didn't see it listed as one of their priorities for the coming months. And if they are working on it, why let Khan cross the floor?

Don't think it was a top priority but when they get a majority it could be, have to find out. If it isn't it should be.

Are you guys at work or what how do you get so much time on here during the day.enquiring minds would like to know. :D I have to get back to work, will check in later.

I own my own business. Sometimes I have time during the day, other times I am busy working into the night.

As for the Tories on crossing the floor, I don't know that I have heard Harper say he will change the law to prevent that.

It's understandable that he would want to be attached to a party considering the likelihood of an election in the near future. The polls are looking good for the Liberals in Ontario and it will certainly be easier to run a campaign with party money instead of pulling it out of your own pocket.

Besides, he can always quit and go indie if he gets re-elected. :P

You have a point, but should he not stay as an independent until the next election?

Are there any rules regarding this? The Conservatives are the government now. Why have they not created any laws covering this?

You think there should be rules regarding the party a person can belong to?

How many times did Churchill cross the floor?

Personally I'm not offended by people crossing the floor. However, some people here seem to want a law against it. The Tories were particularly upset by it when it happened with Stronach. It seems they are in a position to create laws against it. But when it came right down to it, they've received their first floor crosser on the day they took office.

It's understandable that he would want to be attached to a party considering the likelihood of an election in the near future. The polls are looking good for the Liberals in Ontario and it will certainly be easier to run a campaign with party money instead of pulling it out of your own pocket.

Besides, he can always quit and go indie if he gets re-elected. :P

I have no idea why he joined the Liberals. I guess we'll have to read his blog.

Course all is bitchin about party discipline and he goes to the Libs, he has to toe the party line there or lump it.

Turner gave his reasons:
"I'm not as effective as an Independent," Mr. Turner said in an interview last week.

"I can't even work on parliamentary committees. I can't issue tax receipts for donations. There are certain drawbacks, so I owe it to my constituents to talk to everybody. So I'm in that process."

Sounds like the system makes life quite difficult for independents. There need to be changes to the system before you can expect an MP to stay indepedent.

Personally I'm not offended by people crossing the floor. However, some people here seem to want a law against it. The Tories were particularly upset by it when it happened with Stronach. It seems they are in a position to create laws against it. But when it came right down to it, they've received their first floor crosser on the day they took office.

They were upset the same way sports fans are upset when the opposition scores.....but any restrictions on an MP would be unconstitutional and impractical...freedom of association and such.....what would happen if say an MP refused to support his party's motion? Would they be forced out of the party....and barring the MP from actually joining a party, he only votes with it.....even sits in Cabinet, as an independent?

I'll have to read other threads and read what was said before, might be interesting.

We will have to see if Garth Turner puts his money where his mouth is. When David Emerson crossed the floor to join the CPC, Turner travelled the country on a crusade demanding that any MP crossing the floor should resign his seat and fight a by-election. We'll see. I'd bet money that Turner's tune will be far different today.

Even if he was booted out of the CPC caucus he was still elected as a conservative. Personally I'm of the opinion that any floor crosser should sit as an independant until the next election (or have a by election).

They were upset the same way sports fans are upset when the opposition scores.....but any restrictions on an MP would be unconstitutional and impractical...freedom of association and such.....what would happen if say an MP refused to support his party's motion? Would they be forced out of the party....and barring the MP from actually joining a party, he only votes with it.....even sits in Cabinet, as an independent?

I agree it all doesn't make much sense. Floor crossing takes place in both Canadian and American systems. For each perosn who think its unprincipled, another will think it is principled.

I'll have to read other threads and read what was said before, might be interesting.

We will have to see if Garth Turner puts his money where his mouth is. When David Emerson crossed the floor to join the CPC, Turner travelled the country on a crusade demanding that any MP crossing the floor should resign his seat and fight a by-election. We'll see. I'd bet money that Turner's tune will be far different today.

Even if he was booted out of the CPC caucus he was still elected as a conservative. Personally I'm of the opinion that any floor crosser should sit as an independant until the next election (or have a by election).

This is what Turner will have to answer for personally. He will have to answer the question of why he doesn't step down and run again under the Liberal banner.

First of all, Turner did not cross the floor, he was sitting as an Independant, and decided to join a party.

Secondly, all this moving from the CPC to the Liberals, and Liberals to the CPC, show that there is no difference between the 2 parties ideologically. They should just join and become one big party.

Thirdly, LOLOLOL

Oh my. I did not realize that an independent couldn't sit on committees etc. This is the sure way for parties to get/keep their members I guess. Imagine if an independent had as much say and sway as the rest of the electeds. I would bet that there would be many more independents. I can't see the Steve government changing this either.

If he had to go into a party it would have been nice for him to have gone to Green. Without an elected member they can't even participate in election debates. I think all other parties are scared that voters will go Green if they get recognized federally and get that exposure.

Are there any rules regarding this? The Conservatives are the government now. Why have they not created any laws covering this?

The Conservatives voted against having floor-crossers face by-elections, Mr. Harper was absent for the vote. [edited]

Why should anyone stay independent? He wasn't elected as an independent and if it wasn't for him, the Liberals would have won that riding anyway. Harper kicked him out of caucus. Garth is now going where most of his constituents would have liked him to be anyway.

Why not? Garth's riding has been Liberal for ages and the Liberals were going to take it back if he ran as an independent. He is now guaranteed to be re-elected for another term.

Thought he would consider the Greens before the Liberals.