Is The American Dream Dead

As a middle class American I am starting to wonder what will become of us. Taxes and the loss of our jobs to other countrys' is becoming our death. I am 44 years old and after a college degree and years of hard work I am still financially struggling. This is not the America our parents built for us, remember how mom stayed home and took care of us while dad earned a living. Not any more we are both forced to work to make it. Oir children are often left to fend for themselves while we try to make a living. We all see the news our children are turning into murderers shooting up schools with a fraction of the moral values we were raised with. I know, NOT MY KIDS we see parents near every day that really are no different than us, who are honest hard working people. But to financial needs are forced to work more and spend less time with their children.

WHY? Our government is putting us in financial dire straits due to mis management and over spending. Our president wants to hold corporate Executives responsible for mis management of funds of investors and employees.

Why does this not apply to our elected government officials from local to federal branches. How much more can we afford to pay in taxes? My wife and I were looking for a new home recently 6,000.00 a year in property taxes for a 250,000.00 home. That is 500.00 dollars extra a month. For what I bought the lot and home ask the bank they lent me the money. now you go from a 1275.00 payment a month to a 1775.00 payment a month. How much longer are we willing to let our government take our dreams and hopes from us.

Ford is closing plants in the U.S. and building new ones in Mexico. Is this not one of the companies that led the charge during the Reagan era to force Japan to build plants in the U.S. or restrict their import quota? Now that the Japanese auto makers all have plants here our auto makers are pulling out. I believe we should quit buying their cars and trucks. Corporate america is laying off its' workers at a record pace. Why? Beccause it is the new trend have one person do the job of two boost the profit margin make alot of money then sell to foreign interests.

My question to all that read this is how much more can we or are we willing to take? If Enron officials are being held accountable then why not our millionaire senators. When do we stop their buisness as usual attitude? When do we force them to put 89 billion dollars into our families and our communities instead of oversees? Why not force them to give US back the AMERICAN DREAM? Our fore fathers built this country for us not for some greedy lazy politician that only knows us at election time.

/

Dear GINKSGYCLE,

Well said.

I do believe your frustrations, while shared by millions, are misplaced, to a certain degree.

The American dream has become tainted, and it is becoming worse. You say you have a house? A family? The right to earn a fair wage? Relative safety? Then the American dream you and your father remember has provided all that you need. It is the dream that has changed, not you, nor your neighbor, nor your abilities.

Providing for one's family has been usurped by greed as the 'greatest good'. 'Keeping up with the Joneses' is pounded into our heads by the media, consumerism has more followers than religion, and now there is no such thing as 'enough'.

ENRON, they were 'victims' of themselves and of Mammon, for every company nowadays has to produce 'more'. Shareholders want 'more'. Companies are expected to produce it, or investors will go elsewhere.

I'll bet that you are a very good 'provider' for your family. It is the media that is telling you that 'you could have more'.

Our children suffer for this pursuit of greed. Morals and 'family values' are being cast aside for the sake of 'more money'. I think TV dinners are about the time when 'family' tooka back seat to 'Mammon'.

Chin up, GINKSGYCLE, for if you have a home and a family, and love them, you are richer than most.

I, for one, am eager to see accountabillity put into politics. In another thread, I put forth the idea of elected reps being held to stricter codes of conduct, such as millitary personell are held to the Uniform Code of Millitary Justice. Why are soldiers subject to higher standards. One reason is that they are placed in positions of trust and power. What is different about that position and the position of Governor? And I find it sad that no politcian is willing to run with this on his platform. If one person or party did, who could legitimately question it? If a candidate opposed such a change, wouldn't voters question his integretey? 'What, is he planning on lining his pockets or giving all contracts to his friends?'

Another comment I'd make is one on nationalism vs. capitalism. The fact is capitalism is about making money, not necesarilly bettering your fellow citizens or your country. There is little heart to this. I'm not advocating national zealotry, or anything, but shouldn't commerce and trade laws be such that they benifit the country.

Dear Lost In Manitoba,

Hitler said the same thing.

shouldn't commerce and trade laws be such that they benifit the country.

Marx too. I guess it is to what degree the individual is willing to sacrifice to the good of the whole vs individual that determines the 'lean from centre' the politics of a contry. Also, in certain cases, the army.