Trim Your Posts and Quotes

Greg

• Forum Admin

Some members have simply been hitting reply without first trimming the previous comments and or quotation. Take one look at this thread and you can see the eye-sore that not trimming replies and quotes can create.

I'm a member of a few mailing-lists that strictly enforce the trim rule and the penalty for not trimming is banishment from the mailing-list. The reason for being so strict is the untrimmed postings can wreaks havoc with email clients (particularly for those receiving the mailing-list via a digest) and that can severely reduce the readability of the mailing-list.

So in the interest of readability please trim your postings.

If you spot someone not trimming their postings, feel free to point it out to them. If it continues, report the post to me and I'll follow up.

Thanks!

Greg has asked me to help forum members by pointing this out and giving advice.

Do not be surprised if I notify you through the Personal Messenger function when this occurs. I will refer you to this thread and this other:

Using the [ Quote ] Feature: Avoid using more too many quotes!

which presents more details.

Check your browser settings when editing your posts. You may be missing out on some of the extra editing functions which require that you have JavaScript active. [For older browsers, turning off JavaScript has often been the only way of preventing pop-up advertizements.]

Also, please feel free to contact me through the PM function if you want help or have any questions with the extra editing functions. I can give you pointers and advice. Do not feel shy or embarrased. Learning browser-related editing can be a challenge. I have no problem walking through many of the functions.

Forgive me, it really seems that those two examples illustrate the difference: tidy quoting and cluttered quoting.

Nobody consults oracles any more.
I will offer the next best thing: I will contact you through the Personal Messenger.

How many are too many quotes? It is tough to debate someone point-for-point if we don't know what the point limit is. Can you please prescribe a point limit?
Each quote contains a small brown arrow that will take you back to the origional post. One quote should be enough.

In any case, most people follow threads sequentially so one quote at most is needed.

If you want to be read, make it easy for the reader.

• Forum Admin

I can look into it, I assume a module/plugin could developed.

But that isn't really the point. I personally don't think the forum software should have to enforce etiquette. Proper posting etiquette is vital to any online community, and the overall quality of the community is usually determined by how much effort its members contribute towards producing high quality content.

Just trim your quotations and quotes - that isn't too much to ask, is it?

• 1 year later...
Each quote contains a small brown arrow that will take you back to the origional post. One quote should be enough.
Bump!

Ladies and gentlemen,

I am going to start nagging you if you quote too much. Here is a good rule of thumb: If you quote more text than you contribute yourself in your reply, you have quoted too much.

There has been a resurgence of sloppy and excessive quoting. I will send out warnings to trim your replies and your quotes. If you get a warning and you continue to quote too much, posting privileges will be briefly suspended to bring about a change.

Some members have simply been hitting reply without first trimming the previous comments and or quotation. Take one look at this thread and you can see the eye-sore that not trimming replies and quotes can create.

I'm a member of a few mailing-lists that strictly enforce the trim rule and the penalty for not trimming is banishment from the mailing-list.

So avoid the quote and speak...for instance back track and erase if you are technically inept...like so.

• 2 years later...

The number of quotes is not at issue. Rather, the quoting text which is not relevent to your reply is annoying.

I completely agree. I always quote only the portion of which relates to my response. But unfortunately some of our uninformed posters accuse you of so-called "selective quoting" just because you don't include everything they posted. Even though it might not have anything to do with your reply.

• Forum Admin

But unfortunately some of our uninformed posters accuse you of so-called "selective quoting" just because you don't include everything they posted.

There is a reason why the board provides the ability to link back to the original posting (which is being quoted) - it's so anyone, at any time, can go back and confirm the context of the original post. If members are too lazy to go back and read the full posting (for full context), then feel free to point out it out.

On the other hand, if members are intentionally mis-quoting or quoting out of context, then their mis-deeds are verifiable to anyone who is willing to do a bit of research.

• 6 years later...
19 hours ago, Altai said:

What does "trim" mean ? 

In the context of this thread, "to trim" means to reduce the length of quotations.  

On 12/16/2006 at 12:33 PM, August1991 said:

If you want to be read, make it easy for the reader.

Repetition: 

On 12/1/2008 at 9:06 AM, Charles Anthony said:

Here is a good rule of thumb: If you quote more text than you contribute yourself in your reply, you have quoted too much.

1 hour ago, Charles Anthony said:

Get help from somebody-you-trust in real life. 

Ask somebody-you-trust in real life to read this thread.  Afterwards, ask that same person:  "How am I doing?  Did I get this right??

I can understand if you try to teach.