When Dion whips Harper in the next election.....

Go check your head. There are far more white immigrants in this country than visible minorities.

Not true.

Immigrants are overall better educated than the Canadian born population

That's correct.

and our economy needs them.

Simply, undeniably false and untrue. That above statement makes my angry and emotional. You are just repeating what they want you to think. If we desperately needed them then why is our unemployment rate so high?

Immigration provides a steady inflow of grown educated people

And this creates underemployment and lower wages for us that got educations here in Canada.

who didn't cost us a penny to raise and educate.

Lol... wowwww... do your research on this issue and you'll be amazed at how wrong you are on this topic.

Without them our population and our economy will be shrinking substantially.

That is an outright lie that the Liberal party and 'establishment' of Canada wants you to beleive. Our economy is already in collapse and underemployment is rampat here in Canada. Do you know how our healthcare system is deteriorating with 8 month waiting lists? The same is happening with the lives of the average Canadian.

I do beleive in immigration, but only if there are work shortages and only for those that come here under worker permits. We do not have any job shortages and quite the opposite have a very high unemployment rate compared to the US. We also have massive, massive, underemployment crisis.

The fact that you are picking on immigrants and on non-white immigrants in particular shows that you are a racist xenophobe and gives your argument no substance whatsoever.

I have no problem with immigrants. They are just taking advantage of an easy system to get them out of the third world. My problem is with our gov't that continues to allow this destructive policy that destroys our quality of life.

I'm against any immigrant that was here since 1975 and onward.

Tell me if you see a pattern in these historic Canadian unemployment percents.

1975 7.1

1974 5.4

1973 5.6

1972 6.3

1971 6.4

1970 5.9

1969 4.7

1968 4.8

1967 4.1

1966 3.6

1965 3.9

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess that eliminates my wife, an ICU nurse, her father, a lawyer with the Law Society, her mother, a RN and her sister, a Master's graduate from McGill in Physics.

I'll tell them they'll have to get back on the boat to London because they are taking some Canadian's job.

I guess the eliminates my wife, an ICU nurse, her father, a lawyer with the Law Society, her mother, a RN and her sister, a Master's graduate from McGill in Physics.

I'll tell them they'll have to get back on the boat to London because they are taking some Canadian's job.

They are a distinct minority among immigrants and you know it. You want to see where immigrants are? Call a taxi or go into your nearest welfare office or public housing project.

They are a distinct minority among immigrants and you know it. You want to see where immigrants are? Call a taxi or go into your nearest welfare office or public housing project.

Given that Alberta is recruiting hundreds of police officers from Britain this month and Manitoba is after British farmers, I can't imagine that all of them are minority immigrants.

Or just wait until Dion starts talking about his vision of federalism, or anything else that gives him the opportunity to play for the Quebec voters that the Liberals want to win back. When he starts trying to appeal to Quebec voters, he will be expressing a vision of Canada that makes westerners reach for the barf-bucket, and that's going to be a lot more negative for western voters than anything Harper's done over the past year.

Wait a minute which PM was it that decided the Quebecois should be nation about a week ago? I hope your barf bucket is handy?

That resolution certainly wasn't popular in Alberta. Considering that Dion endorsed it and voted for it in Parliament doesn't help him either. In fact, since Harper actually consulted with Dion in crafting and tabling the resolution in the first place, it's not like Dion can actually use it to attack Harper...

And it'll be quickly forgotten anyway, once Dion starts articulating his ubercentralist hands-on federalism, his vision for our resources industry, his plans for a new equalization formula that loots Alberta to make Quebec happy, and whatever "two founding peoples" rhetoric he has to spout to stroke French egos, and on and on.

Dion is a leader that's just not going to win anything in the west, and his selection appears to be a sign that the Liberals don't even intend to try. We're "fly over territory" again, and people aren't going to be happy about it.
So you think the Libs had to pick Kennedy otherwise they consider Alberta a fly over territory? Or does a leader have to speak English as a first language to include Alberta?

Kennedy would obviously have been the first choice, but I don't think it had to be him. I think that Ignatieff had broader regional appeal than Dion or Rae. His statements on federalism and equalization sound the right notes, at least.

I think it's a safe assumption that if picking a leader they could promote in western Canada was a priority for the Liberals, Stephane Dion wouldn't have won. I think the obvious conclusion is that picking a candidate they could promote in the west wasn't a priority for the Liberals. Do you disagree? Why?

Do you think it makes sense to pick a leader that appeals to Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba at the expense of the rest of Canada? How many seats do those 3 provinces represent 28, 14 and 14? Give your head a shake...

Of course. If it's a choice between picking a guy who appeals to Quebec, or a candidate that appeals to the prairies, then simple numbers indicate that going with Quebec is the smarter stategic choice. But you have to realize that this is seen as another sign that "we" are of secondary importance, and it's not well received. Choices come with benefits and consequences. If Liberals decided that the benefits of choosing the guy that gives them the best chance in Montreal, that's their perogative, but they also have to recognize the consequences.

And you've unwittingly illustrated the whole principle underlying western dissatisfaction with federalism in its present form. Simple math suggests that the west's interests will always be of secondary importance to the federal government, which leaves many westerners searching for other ways to advocate and protect the region's interests. Some favor a decentralist approach (less power concentrated in Ottawa leaves less opportunity for Ottawa to impose policies that aren't in the best interests of the regions.) Others feel that governmental reform (such as "the triple-E senate") could protect the regions. Some feel that there's really no solution except separation.

-k

I guess that eliminates my wife, an ICU nurse, her father, a lawyer with the Law Society, her mother, a RN and her sister, a Master's graduate from McGill in Physics.

I said I beleived in worker permits for jobs that we have shortages from. In that case, yes they would have been allowed to come.

Given that Alberta is recruiting hundreds of police officers from Britain this month and Manitoba is after British farmers, I can't imagine that all of them are minority immigrants.

Is that the same Alberta with the 3.5% unemployment rate who actually has a surplus of jobs?

Not true. Alberta produces more greenhouse gases than Ontario (despite it's much smaller population). This is largely due to the oil patch.

I find this rather hard to believe. Not saying it's wrong but I'd like to see evidence.

Sure, no problem: Here it is

Industry data shows that oil-rich Alberta produced some 109 million tonnes of greenhouse gases in 2004, considerably more than several provinces combined, according to an analysis conducted by the Canadian Environmental Law Association and Environment Defence.

Their findings, made public Wednesday by PollutionWatch.org, ranked Ontario second at 77 million tonnes, followed by Quebec at almost 23 million, Saskatchewan at 22 million, and British Columbia at nearly 14 million.

I guess the eliminates my wife, an ICU nurse, her father, a lawyer with the Law Society, her mother, a RN and her sister, a Master's graduate from McGill in Physics.

Ya, if you called a taxi you'd get an immigrant doctor behind the wheel because of xenophobes like you who would rather wait 8 months to see a doctor than be touched by a man of colour.

Ya, if you called a taxi you'd get an immigrant doctor behind the wheel because of xenophobes like you who would rather wait 8 months to see a doctor than be touched by a man of colour.

I'm sure that's the reason that we have a doctor shortage... holy wow you need a big ol' dose of reality.

Go check your head. There are far more white immigrants in this country than visible minorities.

Not true.

Immigrants are overall better educated than the Canadian born population

That's correct.

and our economy needs them.

Simply, undeniably false and untrue. That above statement makes my angry and emotional. You are just repeating what they want you to think. If we desperately needed them then why is our unemployment rate so high?

Immigration provides a steady inflow of grown educated people

And this creates underemployment and lower wages for us that got educations here in Canada.

who didn't cost us a penny to raise and educate.

Lol... wowwww... do your research on this issue and you'll be amazed at how wrong you are on this topic.

Without them our population and our economy will be shrinking substantially.

That is an outright lie that the Liberal party and 'establishment' of Canada wants you to beleive. Our economy is already in collapse and underemployment is rampat here in Canada. Do you know how our healthcare system is deteriorating with 8 month waiting lists? The same is happening with the lives of the average Canadian.

I do beleive in immigration, but only if there are work shortages and only for those that come here under worker permits. We do not have any job shortages and quite the opposite have a very high unemployment rate compared to the US. We also have massive, massive, underemployment crisis.

The fact that you are picking on immigrants and on non-white immigrants in particular shows that you are a racist xenophobe and gives your argument no substance whatsoever.

I have no problem with immigrants. They are just taking advantage of an easy system to get them out of the third world. My problem is with our gov't that continues to allow this destructive policy that destroys our quality of life.

1975 7.1

1974 5.4

1973 5.6

1972 6.3

1971 6.4

1970 5.9

1969 4.7

1968 4.8

1967 4.1

1966 3.6

1965 3.9

Oh yah this stat looks good it is only 30+ years old. How about posting the last ten years maybe, and how about talking a good amount of unemployment spikes are due to iundusty and resource crash not what you are tallking about at all.

The increase in unemployment has way more to do with inflation controls and welfare than immigrants.

Each immigrant that comes here needs to have a fulltime job to support himself and his family.

We have seen a loss of fulltime jobs with each job report yet still let people come here.

While it may directly have less to do with unemployment, it creates tons of underemployment. My last job they went through 8 candidates before I was chosen. I did not meet their qualifications.

The reason I was hired was because I was able to communitcate effectively and spoke native English. My boss told me that himself. This level of immigration does nothing but saturate our job market, de-value education, and create unrealistic credentials for jobs that anyone can do.

Companies have a real nerve to demand a University degree with certifications for jobs that pay $14 an hour. Someone with highschool or no education should be making that kind of money. But the Liberal party and their stay-in-power agenda has done this to us. What more can I say.

That's garbage, the reason they can't practice here is because they don't meet Canadian medical educational standards, depending on where the immigrant comes from, their foreign education may be of lower quality than education obtained in Canada. The title degree of an educational program mighjt be the same, but is worth less in Canada. I don't agree with lowering our standards in order to accommodate foreign medical workers.

I wouldn't be averse to a program which allows an MD from another country to retrain or work as an intern for a year so, prior to sitting an exam. Possibly free of charge if they promise to practice in remote areas for a min. period of time. In fact, I think the Ontario gov't was talking about such a program at one time.

They also need to increase the spots in Universities for Canadian students.

That resolution certainly wasn't popular in Alberta. Considering that Dion endorsed it and voted for it in Parliament doesn't help him either. In fact, since Harper actually consulted with Dion in crafting and tabling the resolution in the first place, it's not like Dion can actually use it to attack Harper...

And it'll be quickly forgotten anyway, once Dion starts articulating his ubercentralist hands-on federalism, his vision for our resources industry, his plans for a new equalization formula that loots Alberta to make Quebec happy, and whatever "two founding peoples" rhetoric he has to spout to stroke French egos, and on and on.

Let's see if I understand your reasoning here. It is more acceptable for Harper to "stroke French egos" despite the fact that the vast majority of Conservative supporters were against the move. However, when an actual French-man supports bilingualism and federalism it is somehow wrong. Hmmm sounds a little hypocritical to me. In fact it sounds like your boy sold you out but you have nowhere to go. Seems to me like Harper realizes that as well, why else does he spend most of his time kissing central Canadian asses as well? He knows you are stuck with him and that he has your piddley 28 seats locked up.

So you think the Libs had to pick Kennedy otherwise they consider Alberta a fly over territory? Or does a leader have to speak English as a first language to include Alberta?

Kennedy would obviously have been the first choice, but I don't think it had to be him. I think that Ignatieff had broader regional appeal than Dion or Rae. His statements on federalism and equalization sound the right notes, at least.

I think it's a safe assumption that if picking a leader they could promote in western Canada was a priority for the Liberals, Stephane Dion wouldn't have won. I think the obvious conclusion is that picking a candidate they could promote in the west wasn't a priority for the Liberals. Do you disagree? Why?

No I do not disagree at all. Very few people are appealing to the whole country while still being good candidates for the job. Picking a leader they could promote in the west while sacrificing other attributes would have been a foolish move. As a Conservative I can see why you'd want Ignatieff. The guy is very smart but he's not at all politically savy. He thinks out loud and gives honest answers. He'd get killed during a campaign, just like Harper did in the past.

I can also see why you'd want Kennedy, as most people want a home town boy as a party leader...but why would a party try to cater to 28 seats that are locked up pretty tight right now? Doesn't it make more sense to pick a very capable politician, who appeals to the majority of Liberal voters? He can then outsource regional ass kissing duties to some others in the party. Kennedy can stroke western egos like MacKay kisses maritime buts right now.

Simple math suggests that the west's interests will always be of secondary importance to the federal government, which leaves many westerners searching for other ways to advocate and protect the region's interests. Some favor a decentralist approach (less power concentrated in Ottawa leaves less opportunity for Ottawa to impose policies that aren't in the best interests of the regions.) Others feel that governmental reform (such as "the triple-E senate") could protect the regions. Some feel that there's really no solution except separation.

Separatists are like whiny little children that don’t get their way on the play ground so they take their ball and go home. I feel that a country is something worth fighting for. If you’re unhappy with a particular aspect get involved in fighting to change it. However, keep in mind that many people with different views live here so you may not get your way.

I’m from Ontario and I’m not represented either. A lot like the 35% of Albertans that didn’t vote for the CPC or the Conservatives in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. However, I’m also involved with electoral reform, doing what I can to rectify the situation.

I’m in favour of proportional representation, more power to the provinces and an elected senate. PR provides fair and more accurate representation by population with much few wasted votes. An elected senate should ensure each region is looked after. I always found the phrase Triple E to be stupid as each E relates back to elected anyway….but I digress.

That's garbage, the reason they can't practice here is because they don't meet Canadian medical educational standards, depending on where the immigrant comes from, their foreign education may be of lower quality than education obtained in Canada. The title degree of an educational program mighjt be the same, but is worth less in Canada. I don't agree with lowering our standards in order to accommodate foreign medical workers.

I wouldn't be averse to a program which allows an MD from another country to retrain or work as an intern for a year so, prior to sitting an exam. Possibly free of charge if they promise to practice in remote areas for a min. period of time. In fact, I think the Ontario gov't was talking about such a program at one time.

What you are saying is garbage, because you can't argue that US or European doctors are any worse than Canadian doctors and they are still not allowed to practice in Canada. Even Canadians who graduated and got their licence in the US cannot practice in Canada. What the heck - even doctors from one province cannot practice in another without going through a bunch of hoops. That's plain dumb.

Let's see if I understand your reasoning here. It is more acceptable for Harper to "stroke French egos" despite the fact that the vast majority of Conservative supporters were against the move. However, when an actual French-man supports bilingualism and federalism it is somehow wrong. Hmmm sounds a little hypocritical to me. In fact it sounds like your boy sold you out but you have nowhere to go. Seems to me like Harper realizes that as well, why else does he spend most of his time kissing central Canadian asses as well? He knows you are stuck with him and that he has your piddley 28 seats locked up.

Since Dion endorsed and voted for the same motion, and apparently aided Harper in creating the motion, it's not like either party can use it to their advantage. The issue of that resolution is a draw when it comes to choosing between the two major parties for Albertans.

What's left is a choice between guy who espouses a hands-off form of federalism with clear division of responsibilities, versus a guy who espouses the traditional Liberal vision of a strong, centralist, interventionist Ottawa with wide-ranging programs that intrude on provincial jurisdictions. Guess which one sells in Alberta.

And, let's admit it, we all know that Alberta is going to pay the dollar costs and the economic consequences of Dion's environmental agenda, so there's no point in even pretending that Dion has a shot in this province anyway.

No I do not disagree at all. Very few people are appealing to the whole country while still being good candidates for the job. Picking a leader they could promote in the west while sacrificing other attributes would have been a foolish move. As a Conservative I can see why you'd want Ignatieff. The guy is very smart but he's not at all politically savy. He thinks out loud and gives honest answers. He'd get killed during a campaign, just like Harper did in the past.

I can also see why you'd want Kennedy, as most people want a home town boy as a party leader...but why would a party try to cater to 28 seats that are locked up pretty tight right now? Doesn't it make more sense to pick a very capable politician, who appeals to the majority of Liberal voters? He can then outsource regional ass kissing duties to some others in the party. Kennedy can stroke western egos like MacKay kisses maritime buts right now.

Is Kennedy unappealing to central Canada? Would choosing him have cost seats in Ontario and Montreal?

Having a "regional lieutenant" is more or less a concession that you've been soundly rejected.. The Liberals had "Landslide Annie" as their regional lieutenant for years. Being the token Albertan in cabinet was great for her career, I suppose, but it didn't do anything to promote the party outside of her Edmonton Centre riding. I'm sure that Peter MacKay is achieving similar success as regional lieutenant for the Atlantic. And I have no doubt that Kennedy will do about as well for Dion in the capacity.

The bright side is that having Kennedy as "regional lieutenant" will spare everyone the sight of Stephane Dion dressing up in denim and a cowboy hat when he comes to Alberta for the annual photo-op. I think we can all agree that Stephane Dion trying to dress up like a cowboy would be a terribly awkward moment for everyone.

Separatists are like whiny little children that don’t get their way on the play ground so they take their ball and go home. I feel that a country is something worth fighting for. If you’re unhappy with a particular aspect get involved in fighting to change it. However, keep in mind that many people with different views live here so you may not get your way.

The question in the original post was: will a Dion victory result in renewed calls for Alberta separation?

The answer is, undoubtably yes.

Albertans are most likely going to be facing a hostile federal government after the next election, and there's nothing Alberta voters can do to avoid that outcome.

"Hey, work to change the system!" But really, what's the point of trying? Population distribution indicates that Alberta will always be of minimal importance to the federal goverment, and any system that would alter that fact would be inherently undemocratic.

Albertans have worked for decades at trying to influence the system. Advocating concepts like senate reform that have been continually rebuffed. Founding political movements, ranging from the CCF to Reform. Sending protest MPs to Ottawa. Sending government-side MPs to Ottawa. Even sending a separatist MP to Ottawa once.

The net payoff of almost 20 years invested in building the Reform movement into a national force... appears to be 12 months of a minority government that has accomplished almost nothing of what was originally hoped for, and bowing out to the establishment shortly.

A lot of people have concluded that attempting to work with the system is simply futile and that no degree of tinkering will alter the inescapable fact that population distribution leaves us powerless to prevent the federal government from having its way with us. The fact that the Liberals have chosen a very obviously "central Canada" leader rather than a national one is another worrying reminder of where we stand in the pecking order. And when he's elected Prime Minister to enact a hostile agenda, there will undoubtably be people advocating separation.

I’m from Ontario and I’m not represented either. A lot like the 35% of Albertans that didn’t vote for the CPC or the Conservatives in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. However, I’m also involved with electoral reform, doing what I can to rectify the situation.

I’m in favour of proportional representation, more power to the provinces and an elected senate. PR provides fair and more accurate representation by population with much few wasted votes.

Proportional representation is probably a great idea as a general principle of democracy.

But as far as addressing the issue we're talking about, it doesn't do anything to help. It might make it worse, by enhancing the effect of population disparities on election results.

An elected senate should ensure each region is looked after. I always found the phrase Triple E to be stupid as each E relates back to elected anyway….but I digress.

No, only "elected" and "effective" relate back to elected. The third "e", the controversial one, is "equal," and it's really the one that breaks the whole thing. Central Canada voters will never buy into an "effective" senate that gives PEI 100x the per-capita representation that Ontarions have. But if it's done in proportion to population, then it just reinforces the numerical disadvantage of the regions, and the whole idea that the senate could act to protect the interests of smaller provinces goes out the window.

-k

Having a "regional lieutenant" is more or less a concession that you've been soundly rejected..
Wow are you ever a whiner. Dion is from Quebec there are 9 provinces and 3 territories that were shut out. Do you think Ontarions were pissed when Steve-O beat out Belinda and Tony Clement? Hell no. Yet not choosing a westerner is always an issue in Alberta.
The bright side is that having Kennedy as "regional lieutenant" will spare everyone the sight of Stephane Dion dressing up in denim and a cowboy hat when he comes to Alberta for the annual photo-op. I think we can all agree that Stephane Dion trying to dress up like a cowboy would be a terribly awkward moment for everyone.
I agree.. Seeing Harper wearing make up and a cowboy hat last election has scarred me for life.. We don't need anymore fancy, old white men doing the same.

As a side note I find it odd that Harper is willing to dress like one of the Village People during an election and still vote agains SSM.

"Hey, work to change the system!" But really, what's the point of trying? Population distribution indicates that Alberta will always be of minimal importance to the federal goverment, and any system that would alter that fact would be inherently undemocratic.

The net payoff of almost 20 years invested in building the Reform movement into a national force... appears to be 12 months of a minority government that has accomplished almost nothing of what was originally hoped for, and bowing out to the establishment shortly.

Aye sadly what was an excellent political movement is now a farce. Thanks Steve-O. Why they sacrificed their principles for a brief shot at the brass ring I'll never know. Grassroots democracy is a great thing. Now in office Harper has sprayed RoundUp all over those roots.
No, only "elected" and "effective" relate back to elected. The third "e", the controversial one, is "equal," and it's really the one that breaks the whole thing. Central Canada voters will never buy into an "effective" senate that gives PEI 100x the per-capita representation that Ontarions have. But if it's done in proportion to population, then it just reinforces the numerical disadvantage of the regions, and the whole idea that the senate could act to protect the interests of smaller provinces goes out the window.
I have no problem with an equal senate. In fact, I thought every region had something like 20 senators right now...I vaguely rememeber some BS situation for the Newfies and the territories though.

Anyway an equal senate is achievable and worth fighting for. I thought Harper would have pushed for a triple E senate, rather than appointing a senator himself and adding some window dressing to the selection process. Wonder why he didn't? Seems like he sold out the west (and the east) again.

Even if the Liberals win the next election it will likely be a minority. Maybe the Conservatives will start representing their constituents again as members of the opposition. Maybe then he can put forth a motion to reform the senate.

Reported to moderator.

That's rich Argus, given your history of bigotry on this forum.

Also reported to moderator. We'll see if Greg's zero tolerance is still in effect and we can get rid of some of you people who can't discuss issues without directly attacking the other parties involved.

What you are saying is garbage, because you can't argue that US or European doctors are any worse than Canadian doctors and they are still not allowed to practice in Canada. Even Canadians who graduated and got their licence in the US cannot practice in Canada. What the heck - even doctors from one province cannot practice in another without going through a bunch of hoops. That's plain dumb.

Ensuring doctors meet licencing standards is "dumb"?

Tell ya what, I'm all for people like you going on a voluntary list of those willing to be treated by any immigrant who calls himself a doctor. All of you and your families will be seen by immigrant doctors whose credentials and training are unknown and abilities unproved. I'm sure you won't mind.