NDP- Ready to govern?

I think the scariest thing about an NDP governement would be the drastic changes. From tax policy to foreign policy, everything would be changed (for the worst :o )

They would make the cordial but distant relationship of the liberals to Washington look like a family reunion as the foster relations with their natural friends, Chavez and Hezbollah.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I am worried by his " support " of Iran, what other terrible tragedies has Chavez wrought, other than making it so that Venezuelas oil actually had some benefit for Venezuelans, rather than just rich Americans? Is that what you people really hate? The idea of a people exploited by rich nations not giving us money anymore while they suffer in poverty? I didn't see the any of us supplying the doctors they needed in Venezuela, so why shouldn't Chavez use his own countries money to pay for the services of Cuban doctors? Because you're scared that he is going to try and nuke us one day? Yeah, right.

........you're scared that he is going to try and nuke us one day? Yeah, right.

I leave fear as the sole property of the loony left.

Chavez has a habit of being an irritant....glad handing Saddam, Qaddafi....And there are serious concerns that Chavez is fueling a regional arms race and may be funneling arms to FARC.

As I said he he an irratant. But I'm sure the NDP will adore him. Just as they adore the Hezbollah freedom fighters.....

The thought of the NDP in power gives me the willies, my hair stands on end. All you have to do is read the convention proposals, and you get a pretty good idea of what they have in mind for us.

As someone else has already pointed out there is a successful NDP government in Manitoba right now. There have been many successful NDP/CCF governments since the 1950’s.

As I pointed out in an earlier post, all Canadian parties currently support the same general social democratic principles the CCF, precursor to the NDP, first introduced into Canada. The most successful expression of those principles is the Canada Health Act, which has become a central focus for Canadian national goals and national pride.

But it is seldom recognized that NDP governments have also been the most successful at managing provincial finances as well as being among the worst: Roy Romanow in Saskatchewan as the best and Glenn Clarke as the worst. (Note the difference in that Roy was a lawyer first and Glenn was a union official)

So it is hard to understand your fear. There is no doubt that the NDP can govern successfully so what, specifically, in their platform gives you the willies?

Have they given up the notion of nationalizing the banks? I gave up on them for that back in the ealy 80s

Resolutions calling for the nationalization of banks (among other things) were raised at the convention, but I assume they were defeated. In fact I have seen no discussion at all of any of the more outre resolutions that were mentioned in the leadup to the convention, so I'm assuming that they were rejected.

So, I guess you could say that the NDP has rejected the notion of nationalizing banks. Or, if you were a Liberal, you would probably call it the NDP's scary secret hidden agenda. ;)

-k

Well we know the NDP are against tax cuts....they are experts on distributing wealth but I have never heard anything remotely intelligent about creating wealth....and they for some reason support terrorists and hate afghan women.....and that the NDPs next campaign will be against George Bush.....

As someone else has already pointed out there is a successful NDP government in Manitoba right now. There have been many successful NDP/CCF governments since the 1950’s.
There is a big difference between provincial politics and federal politics - the BC Liberals have more in common with the federal Conservatives than with the federal Liberals. The NDP at the federal level is coalition of social activists who care more about ideology than policy. It simply does not attract the competent middle of the road people that would be required to form a sensible gov't since the NDP has zero chance of forming a gov't. Left leaning people who are competent enough to run a gov't will choose to enter provincial politics or join the federal Liberal party.

That said, a complete melt down of the federal liberal party could bring a huge infusion of middle of the road people into the NDP that could make it a viable governing party. However, if that happened it would no longer be the same party since it would no longer be dominated by left wing ideologues.

Nationalizing banks? I have heard of nationalizing the central bank, but never heard of nationalizing other banks. Although providing general services from the bank of Canada is probably a good idea.

Are you suggesting nationalizing the BAnk of Canada? That would take some creative slight of hand.....

What sort of general services do you have in mind? Do you know what the BofC does?

Yes I know exactly what it does, I know its role and its history. There is no advantage to the current circumstance and indeed it has lead to a great number of significant corruptions.

The BoC has spent the majority of its existence as a government operation, indeed the government still holds actual ownership of the BoC. That fact is the only reason we have not seen happen here what has happened in Britain, USA, France, Germany, and what is currently being fought over in China and India.

As for services, yes obviously it would be quite the creation but I see no reason not to provide a public (for profit) operation to compete with the existing banks who are pretty unanimously on record as saying that personal accounts are of virtually no value to them and that they consider it a service they provide to society.

Banks in Canada are MUCH different then they were 30 years ago, the don't operate the same way or under the same principles. It was not that long ago that most considered the banking operation as a trust from the government, it is relatively recently that they started to act like foreign banks. Not that i am saying that is in and of itself a bad thing just something that the Canadian system wasn't prepared for we never had the regulation in place (still don't). There are many things the Canadian banks do here that would be patently illegal in many places.

Wait a minute. This idea we NEED the US to protect US! First , since Canada belongs to the British Commonwealth other commonwealth nations would come to our aid! Second, IF the US did come to our aid it would be for their OWN protection! Just think if Russia or China took over this country and had nuke pointing at the US. They could never let that happen. I believe Canada may be sorry for Harper keeping us there longer than we planned. It will cost us lives and C$$$ since the money for this is coming out of the "general fund" so watch taxes start to go up! As far as the Taliban goes, they were great people when Cheney invited them to the White House to talk pipeline and never became an enemy of the US until they turned Cheney down!

IF the US did come to our aid it would be for their OWN protection! Just think if Russia or China took over this country and had nuke pointing at the US. They could never let that happen. I believe Canada may be sorry for Harper keeping us there longer than we planned.

Why risk Canadian lives when we can risk American lives instead.

The thought of the NDP in power gives me the willies, my hair stands on end. All you have to do is read the convention proposals, and you get a pretty good idea of what they have in mind for us.

As I pointed out in an earlier post, all Canadian parties currently support the same general social democratic principles the CCF, precursor to the NDP, first introduced into Canada. The most successful expression of those principles is the Canada Health Act, which has become a central focus for Canadian national goals and national pride.

But it is seldom recognized that NDP governments have also been the most successful at managing provincial finances as well as being among the worst: Roy Romanow in Saskatchewan as the best and Glenn Clarke as the worst. (Note the difference in that Roy was a lawyer first and Glenn was a union official)

So it is hard to understand your fear. There is no doubt that the NDP can govern successfully so what, specifically, in their platform gives you the willies?

What about Bob Rae? If nothing else I hope he becomes leader of the Liberals. Will be much easier to win another round if that happens. Ontarians loathe the guy.

There is a big difference between provincial politics and federal politics - the BC Liberals have more in common with the federal Conservatives than with the federal Liberals. The NDP at the federal level is coalition of social activists who care more about ideology than policy. It simply does not attract the competent middle of the road people that would be required to form a sensible gov't since the NDP has zero chance of forming a gov't. Left leaning people who are competent enough to run a gov't will choose to enter provincial politics or join the federal Liberal party.

That said, a complete melt down of the federal liberal party could bring a huge infusion of middle of the road people into the NDP that could make it a viable governing party. However, if that happened it would no longer be the same party since it would no longer be dominated by left wing ideologues.

You are certainly correct. But such variations seem to exist within the other parties as well. In fact, Harper's success has been credited to his ability to stifle the element bent on social reform of the country. And I think that is one illustration of how leadership can make a successful government even when large parts of the party have agendas not shared by the majority of electors.

I don't think Mr. Layton has the necessary skills to manage the extreme left of the party, present a delectable platform, and manage the country. But mostly I don't think he has a viable economic platform. On the other hand if Layton were to move closer to Bob Rae's position on the economy, he could look a lot more capable.

What about Bob Rae? If nothing else I hope he becomes leader of the Liberals. Will be much easier to win another round if that happens. Ontarians loathe the guy.

That is a problem for him. But he has seen the light on balancing the tax rate and the social program equation so I would like to see him take another run at governing. Bu, like GlennClarke in BC, he won't ever be forgiven for his past stupidity. No reason why he should be. There is lots of talent in Canada.

In fact, Harper's success has been credited to his ability to stifle the element bent on social reform of the country. And I think that is one illustration of how leadership can make a successful government even when large parts of the party have agendas not shared by the majority of electors.
Harper was able to do this because the PC party _did_ melt down and most of the moderate right of center people joined the new party. This shifted the balance of power in the party away from the extremists that dominated the Reform party.

In fact, Harper's success has been credited to his ability to stifle the element bent on social reform of the country. And I think that is one illustration of how leadership can make a successful government even when large parts of the party have agendas not shared by the majority of electors.
Harper was able to do this because the PC party _did_ melt down and most of the moderate right of center people joined the new party. This shifted the balance of power in the party away from the extremists that dominated the Reform party.

Do you think Layton or Rae could manage a similar move to the center, shifting power away from the extreme ideologues and the unions?

A move to the center might make the NDP a reasonable alternative to the Conservatives and grab some of the votes lost by the Liberals in the last election?

I'd certainly like the NDP move toward the centre. Not that it would do me any good in my riding. Last time the ridings merged, we went from being in one that had a Liberal incumbent to being a Conservative landslide. Lanark-Carleton has way more people than Lennox & Addington. I can strategically vote NDP if I please, because I know that neither party stands a chance against Scott Reid. ;) It's one thing to lose, it's another to not be able to win. No wonder I want electoral reform.

Yes, they've been in power almost seven years in Manitoba and the wall across the borders is almost finished.

Oh wait, no, we just have the second lowest unemployment rate in the country and property values going through the roof.

How's Saskatchewan doing? How did Ontario do under Rae?

Do you think Layton or Rae could manage a similar move to the center, shifting power away from the extreme ideologues and the unions?

A move to the center might make the NDP a reasonable alternative to the Conservatives and grab some of the votes lost by the Liberals in the last election?

The NDP moved left at their convention. Support our troops bring them home?

Yes, they've been in power almost seven years in Manitoba and the wall across the borders is almost finished.

Oh wait, no, we just have the second lowest unemployment rate in the country and property values going through the roof.

How's Saskatchewan doing? How did Ontario do under Rae?

Thanks to equalization Manitoba gets their health premiums paid for by Alberta.

Happy,happy,joy,joy.

Maybe time to cut the cord if you're doing so well, and pay your own way.

Thanks to equalization Manitoba gets their health premiums paid for by Alberta.

Happy,happy,joy,joy.

Maybe time to cut the cord if you're doing so well, and pay your own way.

Funny how Alberta didn't want the cord cut when they were getting money.