Who is for and against the issue of decriminalizing marijuana?

Would it be possible for somebody to specify which two Canadian political parties are strongly for or against the decriminalization of marijuana? The Marijuana Party is obviously in praise of this issue, but which specific party is strongly against it? And what is that party's position on the issue? Does it have a platform for action on it?

I would highly appreciate it if somebody could assist me with these questions. Thank you in advance.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would it be possible for somebody to specify which two Canadian political parties are strongly for or against the decriminalization of marijuana? The Marijuana Party is obviously in praise of this issue, but which specific party is strongly against it? And what is that party's position on the issue? Does it have a platform for action on it?

I would highly appreciate it if somebody could assist me with these questions. Thank you in advance.

The CPC is strongly against decriminalisation.

Thanks for your reply.

Do you think you can tell me anything else about the issue of decriminalizing marijuana? I tried to look up some information about the Communist Party of Canada (which I believe CPC stands for) and its position in this issue, but didn't have much luck. What would be a good source to find this information?

Thanks for your reply.

Do you think you can tell me anything else about the issue of decriminalizing marijuana? I tried to look up some information about the Communist Party of Canada (which I believe CPC stands for) and its position in this issue, but didn't have much luck. What would be a good source to find this information?

:lol: No no, CPC is the Conservative Party of Canada. www.conservative.ca :)

Hope that helps. I don't know if any party will have much on their website as this is a very controversial issue in Canada, and unlikely to be legislated within the next several years.

Actually, the Reform Alliance and the PCs favoured decriminalization when it was first introduced by the Liberals. Harper just suggested that the allowable limit be dropped from seven grams to five. Once the Americans got wind of it though, the CPC chickened out. So much for not being in Bush's back pocket.

Actually, the Reform Alliance and the PCs favoured decriminalization when it was first introduced by the Liberals. Harper just suggested that the allowable limit be dropped from seven grams to five. Once the Americans got wind of it though, the CPC chickened out. So much for not being in Bush's back pocket.

Yeah, or they just wanted to make sure the black market stays black.

Ah, so, who is against decriminalization?

I think both the liberals and NDP are in favour of decriminalization, probably the bloc too but I'm not sure. I think the liberals had a bill in the last parliament, but due to the government falling, it was never passed. The conservatives are against decriminalization and have said they would not re-introduce a bill to decriminalize marijuana (unfortunately).

Harper just suggested that the allowable limit be dropped from seven grams to five. Once the Americans got wind of it though, the CPC chickened out. So much for not being in Bush's back pocket.

What get's me is WHY Canada is afraid of the Big ol USA when it comes to decriminalizing pot. In some states, Alaska and California are two I know of, it is not a crime.

Has the USA "disowned" or done anything negative to their own states?

No, they haven't.

So why would they be "upset" if Canada decrimed?

The main important question is WHY???? Just look at what tobacco and alcohol has done to the healthcare system, do we need more substances to kill people? There's more reasons to NOT allow than to allow it.

Tobacco, alcohol and fatty foods contribute to MANY more deaths than marijuana. Why should those thing be legal and not marijuana? The simplest solution is legalize marijuana and tax it the same way that tobacco and alcohol are taxed. Make sure that the revenue generated from taxes is enough to pay any healthcare costs. Any more reasons NOT to allow it?

Some other reasons to allow it: spend less money on enforcement. Keep people out of jail who aren't harming anyone but themselves.

Any more reasons NOT to allow it?
Llegal trade in marijuana in Canada will not end the illegal production controlled by organized crime that ships to the US. That means that if we legalize it we end up with the worst of both worlds: all of the social problems associated with a legal substance that is harmful _and_ the social problems created a crime culture devoted to the illegal production and sale.

We are better off keeping it illegal until the US decides to legalize it.

Llegal trade in marijuana in Canada will not end the illegal production controlled by organized crime that ships to the US. That means that if we legalize it we end up with the worst of both worlds: all of the social problems associated with a legal substance that is harmful _and_ the social problems created a crime culture devoted to the illegal production and sale.

It is already been decriminalized in a number of states.

How do they keep people from bringing it across state lines?

It is simply silliness to keep the use of this harmless herb as a criminal offense.

As stated many many times by other posters -- the best harm reduction is full legalization. Short of that -- decrim will do (as a first step) -- at least it's better than getting thrown in jail for smoking a doobie.

It wouldn't make sense for illegal production of marijuana to continue if the government sells it in government run stores (like liquor). Let's assume the government charges the same price as the street value...would you rather go to a reputable, government run store that is legal, or go to a dealer and risk being caught? Personally, I'd go with the government run store. Think about alcohol, how many bootleggers are there these days compared to when prohibition was in effect? Organized crime could easily ship the drugs south of the border, sure. I'm sure it would piss off the americans, but heck who gives a damn, we are a sovereign nation, if they are worried about marijuana coming through the border that's their own problem. Besides marijuana already heads south of the border, I doubt there would be that much of a difference if it were legal. How about we keep marijuana illegal if the U.S. keeps guns illegal? What would you rather have going through your border, marijuana or guns? I'd rather have marijuana thanks.

P.S. I wonder how the countries surrounding the Netherlands feel about it being legal there?

I would be all for decriminalizing pot for small quanities and also for growers who are growing 5 or less plants. I do want to see the government legalize it for medicinal use, and then for those caught with large gro ops or other concerns, that they be fined heavily for first offences and jail time there after.

This would kill the black market for the organized crime and will still address the small user to small penalties with out criminal records. But I guess the trouble is that organized crime will just move on to other chemical drugs to make the money.

It wouldn't make sense for illegal production of marijuana to continue if the government sells it in government run stores (like liquor). Let's assume the government charges the same price as the street value...would you rather go to a reputable, government run store that is legal, or go to a dealer and risk being caught? Personally, I'd go with the government run store. Think about alcohol, how many bootleggers are there these days compared to when prohibition was in effect? Organized crime could easily ship the drugs south of the border, sure. I'm sure it would piss off the americans, but heck who gives a damn, we are a sovereign nation, if they are worried about marijuana coming through the border that's their own problem. Besides marijuana already heads south of the border, I doubt there would be that much of a difference if it were legal. How about we keep marijuana illegal if the U.S. keeps guns illegal? What would you rather have going through your border, marijuana or guns? I'd rather have marijuana thanks.

P.S. I wonder how the countries surrounding the Netherlands feel about it being legal there?

LOL

I've wondered that often myself.

Are there truckloads leaving Amsterdam? I highly doubt it.

I agree -- so what if the US has different laws regarding marijuana -- if you take weed across the border you will pay the penalty -- the US penalty -- whatever they deem it to be.

If you are here and you smoke it then go home, who cares. No one will know -- unless of course they are going to start putting drug testing equipment at the border... :ph34r:

That means that if we legalize it we end up with the worst of both worlds: all of the social problems associated with a legal substance that is harmful _and_ the social problems created a crime culture devoted to the illegal production and sale.

What social problems? How is it harmful? And crime culture is derived from criminalization. Even a stoner can figure that out.

Hmmm, not everything the Conservatives do is to curry favour with GW. That vote linked to a couple posts ago tends to ahow your bias. Believe it or not it is possible to agree with somebody on an isue without being in their back pocket.

Unless you have a source for that line it just comes across as knee-jerk Harper bashing by trying to connect him to GW.

What do the Harper-haters out there have to say about Bill Clinton being opposed to de-criminalization?

That means that if we legalize it we end up with the worst of both worlds: all of the social problems associated with a legal substance that is harmful _and_ the social problems created a crime culture devoted to the illegal production and sale.

What social problems? How is it harmful? And crime culture is derived from criminalization. Even a stoner can figure that out.

So all the criminals that deal and grow weed will just take a 9 to 5 the next morning after it's legalised?

Screw what the US thinks. Do we run our own country or bend to the will of those pricks south of our border? I will leave it up to you to find what adverse affects weed has on a person. If any. I wonder why it is prescribed to AIDS patients? Oh yes, it acts as a painkiller and increases ones appetite. And eating healthy and alot will help AIDS patients keep their weight up and they don't feel as run down and don't need to rely on other medication that can really throw your body for a loop.

Harmful? No more that booze, cigaretts, Mcdonalds or Walmart. And besides it will get to the US somehow. The US Military will just import it from Columbia or Mexico or whatever country they got their grow ops. OH and your social problems already exist with the drug. Decriminalizing or legalizing it can help bring the problem to the front and everyone can admit they have a problem and get proper help. Not to mention the US should protect their own borders and prevent the stuff from getting there. But again the US uses the C-130s to import their drugs.

OK enough of that ranting. I would love the ability to grow a couple plants for personal use. That is all I really want. And that is no different from someone brewing beer or wine in their homes is it not?

I have yet to see two pot heads got toe to toe in a hard fist fight. As a former DJ in a few clubs, those drunks get into fights ALL the damn time.

So all the criminals that deal and grow weed will just take a 9 to 5 the next morning after it's legalised?

I don't know. People do what they can to make money. If something doesn't make money anymore, they're forced to move on. After prohibition ended, my rum-running grampa converted his Cadillac into a truck and started logging in the bush.

This would kill the black market for the organized crime and will still address the small user to small penalties with out criminal records. But I guess the trouble is that organized crime will just move on to other chemical drugs to make the money.

Over 70% of BC Bud is exported. Decriminalizing it in Canada would have no effect on organized crime. I have mixed feelings on the subject of decriminalization but this is one argument that won't stand up as long as it it illegal in the US.

Over 70% of BC Bud is exported. Decriminalizing it in Canada would have no effect on organized crime. I have mixed feelings on the subject of decriminalization but this is one argument that won't stand up as long as it it illegal in the US.

It then becomes the US's problem. Why are we so concerned about their laws? If weed were legal here and illegal in the US (which it is NOT in some states) it would have no effect on me personally at all. Unless I am stupid enough to take it across the border.

The argument that we can't legalize it because of our puritan (not so puritan, as some states have decriminalized the possession of small amounts) neighbour is simply ridiculous.

Legalize it so I can grow a few plants or (being I don't have a very green thumb) so I could simply purchase it at a government controlled liquor store.