Clayoquot sound is ready to be logged

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...y/National/home

It is expected that logging in the area would largely be done by Iisaak Forest Resources.

Francis Frank, President of the Nuu-chah-nulth Tribal Council -- which represents 14 tribes on Vancouver Island, including five that are members of the Clayoquot board -- said all logging would have to meet scientific guidelines.

But Mr. Frank agreed the issue could lead to blockades and to divisions within the native community.

I have always found argument that natives are inherently better at protecting the environment to be a bunch of sterotypical B.S., however, I have started to see more and more stories where lefty environmentalists who have traditionally supported aboriginal rights are now finding that their native allies are more than willing to pillage the environment for economic growth.

I am not surprised and I think it is good that native groups in remote areas are developing there own industries. However, any left environmentalist who thinks that supporting aboriginal rights is good for the environment will be in for a nasty surprise in the next 10-20 years.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...y/National/home
It is expected that logging in the area would largely be done by Iisaak Forest Resources.

Francis Frank, President of the Nuu-chah-nulth Tribal Council -- which represents 14 tribes on Vancouver Island, including five that are members of the Clayoquot board -- said all logging would have to meet scientific guidelines.

But Mr. Frank agreed the issue could lead to blockades and to divisions within the native community.

I have always found argument that natives are inherently better at protecting the environment to be a bunch of sterotypical B.S., however, I have started to see more and more stories where lefty environmentalists who have traditionally supported aboriginal rights are now finding that their native allies are more than willing to pillage the environment for economic growth.

I am not surprised and I think it is good that native groups in remote areas are developing there own industries. However, any left environmentalist who thinks that supporting aboriginal rights is good for the environment will be in for a nasty surprise in the next 10-20 years.

That is a pretty broad brush slam that is uncalled for.

Haudenosaunee Six Nations are interested in sustainable energy . This week they reclaimed a wind farm :D

Clayoquot is a different issue ... the rainforest ... hope its not like the boreal forest at Grassy Narrows ... they clearcut, burn, kill everything with herbicide and pesticides ... including the insects, worms, birds, animals and people who do not go away ... and then they replant only whatever is a quick harvest. :blink: :angry: Grassy Narrows Indigenous Nation has been blockading Weyerhaueser logging for four years. They have had years of this and decades of mercury pollution and illness and huge suicide rates.

Clayoquot is only a part of it. The damage to the BC fishery by Indians without much regulation will be permenant and it has already costs many jobs and livelyhoods.

Historically, between hunting all the buffalo in exchange for beeds and beer and the current effects of their 'stewardship', I can't see any environmentalism in them. It seems the case is that many of the Indians are only self-sustaining as long as no one offers them something for it, then it's open season, slaughter/cut/gill net and package it up for the supermarket.

Clayoquot is only a part of it. The damage to the BC fishery by Indians without much regulation will be permenant and it has already costs many jobs and livelyhoods.

Historically, between hunting all the buffalo in exchange for beeds and beer and the current effects of their 'stewardship', I can't see any environmentalism in them. It seems the case is that many of the Indians are only self-sustaining as long as no one offers them something for it, then it's open season, slaughter/cut/gill net and package it up for the supermarket.

It was the white men who wiped out the buffalo and the fish stocks and the forests ... and sent them to England. Now Canada sends them to the US. It is unfortunate that some Indigenous people are now imitating the white man's methods, but that will evolve over time as they become more skilled. I find it a bit ludicrous that indigenous people are criticized for doing the same thing that white people did for a century, and continue to do wherever they can!

I read about an Indigenous community that lived near a defunct mine that was used as a uranium dump. Needless to say, the entire community suffered illness, birth defects, etc.

Canada is certainly no paragon of virtue in environmental concerns!

It was the white men who wiped out the buffalo and the fish stocks and the forests ... and sent them to England. Now Canada sends them to the US. It is unfortunate that some Indigenous people are now imitating the white man's methods, but that will evolve over time as they become more skilled. I find it a bit ludicrous that indigenous people are criticized for doing the same thing that white people did for a century, and continue to do wherever they can!

I read about an Indigenous community that lived near a defunct mine that was used as a uranium dump. Needless to say, the entire community suffered illness, birth defects, etc.

Canada is certainly no paragon of virtue in environmental concerns!

Are you Saga just using another identity? If you are, the moderator can certainly know.

• Forum Admin
Are you Saga just using another identity? If you are, the moderator can certainly know.

Yup, good catch jdobbin. Granny has been banned from these forums.

I smelled something funny early on!

from the Skeptics Dictionary:

multiple personality disorder
[dissociative identity disorder]

....students often ask me whether multiple personality disorder (MPD) really exists. I usually reply that the symptoms attributed to it are as genuine as hysterical paralysis and seizures....

--Dr. Paul McHugh

Who is abusing this dicsussion board...!

Be on the look out for someone called SAGA4 later on. I would say how I found out but that will just tip the culprit off.