Veto Expected Today on Stem Cell Bill

Guest Warwick Green

Guest Warwick Green

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Bush readied the first veto of his presidency to stop legislation to ease limits on federal funding for embryonic stem-cell research. The veto is expected as soon as the measure reaches his desk. White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said that was expected to happen about midday Wednesday, and that Bush would veto the measure as promised.

While both the GOP-run House and Senate defied Bush in passing the measure to expand federally funded embryonic stem research, supporters do not appear to have the two-thirds vote margin needed to override such a veto....

Strong majorities in the House and Senate joined sentiments with most Americans and passed a bill that lifts restriction currently limiting federally funded research to stem cell lines created before Aug. 9, 2001.

The Senate voted 63-37 on Tuesday, four votes short of the two-thirds majority that would be needed to override a veto. The House last year fell 50 votes short of a veto-proof margin when it passed the same bill, 238-194.

http://webcenters.netscape.compuserve.com/.../0927144087.htm

Glad to see the man has his priorities straight. Won't somebody please think of the blastocysts!

:rolleyes: :angry:

My daughter and my cousins daughter have now had to have bone marrow transplants, until this happens in your family one does not have the right to deny this easier procedure.

Glad to see the man has his priorities straight. Won't somebody please think of the blastocysts!

My daughter and my cousins daughter have now had to have bone marrow transplants, until this happens in your family one does not have the right to deny this easier procedure.

Do I have to have a child or cousin in the army before I can debate military funding?

Anyway, I'm guessing that you missed the sarcasm in BD's post.

Hope your family members are okay. It is a quite painful procedure but the outcomes are often worth it.