Stockwell Day in The News

That Liberal media, at it again.

People think Stockwell is doing a good job (people like a former Canadian Alliance MP and former Reform worker and a longtime party worker) and that's news?

:lol:

And they finnish off with what Ezra Levant thinks!

Good grief. Jennifer Ditchburn, I'll have to remember her name. I've never seem a bigger Conservative puff piece in my life.

It helps also that he is not appearing on any religious programs on TV.

He probably knows for experience that you keep your private religious views separate from the job you do.

I am no big fan of Day but performing your job is important to me and to the country.

Guest Warwick Green

He probably knows for experience that you keep your private religious views separate from the job you do.

I am no big fan of Day but performing your job is important to me and to the country.

He has learnt the truth of that from his time as leader of the Alliance. He came across as unsure of himself as leader but he seems to be able to perform a supporting role.

People think Stockwell is doing a good job (people like a former Canadian Alliance MP and former Reform worker and a longtime party worker) and that's news?

Good grief. Jennifer Ditchburn, I'll have to remember her name. I've never seem a bigger Conservative puff piece in my life.

I'm no Conservative but if you have stories about how he is doing a bad job, I'd be interested to hear.

I'm no Conservative but if you have stories about how he is doing a bad job, I'd be interested to hear.

I didn't claim any such thing. He (like most of Harpers cabinet) has been keeping a low profile as far as I have seen - and I read a lot of media.

My point was that this article - picked up widely in the Liberal media btw - is based upon comments from a former Canadian Alliance MP, a former Reform worker, and a longtime party worker.

If they had a political scientist with no known party affiliations answering what he/she thought of Days performance it would be interesting. Assuch, it's just a joke.

He may well be doing a very good job....but don't present that judgement after talking to the choir.

What's next...an article stating Bush is doing a great job because his mom says so?

I didn't claim any such thing. He (like most of Harpers cabinet) has been keeping a low profile as far as I have seen - and I read a lot of media.

My point was that this article - picked up widely in the Liberal media btw - is based upon comments from a former Canadian Alliance MP, a former Reform worker, and a longtime party worker.

If they had a political scientist with no known party affiliations answering what he/she thought of Days performance it would be interesting. Assuch, it's just a joke.

He may well be doing a very good job....but don't present that judgement after talking to the choir.

What's next...an article stating Bush is doing a great job because his mom says so?

I think there was the expectation that Harper would trip up or his cabinet would. This is a minority government tightrope. I think that some of the more controversial aspects of their program might be hiding in the tall grass waiting for a majority.

But we'll wait and see. As some others have said, perhaps Harper is really a Liberal and will straddle the center.

He has learnt the truth of that from his time as leader of the Alliance. He came across as unsure of himself as leader but he seems to be able to perform a supporting role.

I suspect Harper's supplying firm guidance.

No doubt. But with all governments something often goes wrong. Murphy's Law generally. They really haven't had heat on a major issue yet partly because of a weakened opposition. It is the same sort of free right Chretien had for a number of years while the Tories fought amongst themselves. They might actually govern for more time than they thought unless they engineer their own defeat, a risky proposition depending on the issue.

No doubt. But with all governments something often goes wrong. Murphy's Law generally. They really haven't had heat on a major issue yet partly because of a weakened opposition. It is the same sort of free right Chretien had for a number of years while the Tories fought amongst themselves. They might actually govern for more time than they thought unless they engineer their own defeat, a risky proposition depending on the issue.

I expect an election this fall or early next spring. I expect they will engineer a defeat (since they can't unilaterally call elections, being a minority government), seek and obtain a majority mandate.

I expect an election this fall or early next spring. I expect they will engineer a defeat (since they can't unilaterally call elections, being a minority government), seek and obtain a majority mandate.

If it is in the fall, it will be before the Liberals have a leader. I guess they could do it but the issue might have to be controversial enough for the Liberals to be drawn into an election before a leader is in place.

If it is in the fall, it will be before the Liberals have a leader. I guess they could do it but the issue might have to be controversial enough for the Liberals to be drawn into an election before a leader is in place.

The opposition(all of them) have been making noise about the soft-wood lumber deal and saying they are not happy and this may be THE issue to strike an election in the fall.

The Conservatives seem to want it as a confidence motion this fall to boot.

So bring it on.

Canadians will be so happy to see another election. :rolleyes:

The opposition(all of them) have been making noise about the soft-wood lumber deal and saying they are not happy and this may be THE issue to strike an election in the fall.

So bring it on.

Elections have been June 29, 2004 and January 23, 2006. Can we try to make it two in a calendar year?

Guest Warwick Green

So bring it on.

I laughed when I heard Bob "Dumb and Dumber" Rae tell Liberals to vote agianst softwood lumber. That would fall right into Harper's plan. To be forced into an election this fall. It's easy to see why he was a one-time Premier.

I laughed when I heard Bob "Dumb and Dumber" Rae tell Liberals to vote agianst softwood lumber. That would fall right into Harper's plan. To be forced into an election this fall. It's easy to see why he was a one-time Premier.

There won't be a confidence vote on this issue. It means too little to most Canadians.

And Bob Rae won't be leader. He just doesn't have the roots in the party or the right type of supporters to get the votes.

There won't be a confidence vote on this issue. It means too little to most Canadians.

And Bob Rae won't be leader. He just doesn't have the roots in the party or the right type of supporters to get the votes.

I agree that Rae has no following but Harper has said the vote on softwood lumber will be a confidence vote.

I agree that Rae has no following but Harper has said the vote on softwood lumber will be a confidence vote.

The quite simply, it will pass. The other parties won't let it come to a confidence vote that defeats the government.

Guest Warwick Green

The quite simply, it will pass. The other parties won't let it come to a confidence vote that defeats the government.

I would agree. Neither the Dippers nor the Blockers are anxious for an elaction.

I would agree. Neither the Dippers nor the Blockers are anxious for an elaction.

May not be anxious but are not supporting it so it could very well happen unless they change their mind.

Fall vote could be triggered

Asked whether his minority government can get enough support in the House of Commons, Mr. Harper said: "This will be a confidence measure when it comes forward because it involves taxation measures, so we will see."
Prime Minister Stephen Harper (Calgary Southwest, Alta.) told Calgary radio show host Dave Rutherford last week that he considers the proposed softwood lumber deal with the United States a confidence matter and is prepared to stand or fall on the issue in the House of Commons in the fall session.
"And the Libs are going to have to do everything humanly possible to avoid that election until they have their leadership. I don't know what kind of a rationale [interim Liberal Leader Bill] Graham [Toronto Centre, Ont.] would put forward, but I guess if you're creative enough you can convince yourself you support it," the Liberal said, adding, however, that it's also quite possible the election could happen.
Bloc Québécois MP Pierre Paquette (Joliette, Que.), also a member of the committee, said last week that his party opposes the agreement as it is but he believes that Mr. Harper is "bluffing" and will not bring it forward for a vote as it is.
The Conservatives hope to pass the deal before Oct. 1.
Liberals international trade critic Dominic LeBlanc (Beauséjour, N.B.) said he will not be forced into supporting something that's not in Canada's interest by the Prime Minister calling the vote one of confidence. "I'm not prepared to be bullied by the Prime Minister, whether or not we're going to have an election on this issue," he said. "When we next have an election, we'll elect a Liberal member again in Vancouver Kingsway to replace Mr. Emerson and hopefully they'll show up for work."
The government will introduce the legislation as soon as the House resumes in the form of a ways and means motion, thereby declaring it a confidence motion. "There's no question about that, there's no dispute, a ways and means involves money because we're talking about $4.4-billion in tariff rebates to corporations. You're not just talking about money, but a lot of money."

Despite this, the NDP's House Leader Libby Davies (Vancouver East, B.C.) said she's still willing to defeat the government over the softwood lumber deal. "I think we're there to be a strong opposition to challenge Mr. Harper's conservative agenda where he is clearly taking us down a road that's not good for Canada, so we have to do our job and we take that very seriously," she told The Hill Times. "To us, it's about strong principle about Mr. Harper's government, and the fact that he's prepared to go soft on this issue. He's been more interested in getting a deal than he has been in making sure that Canada's interests are being protected. They've declared it confidence. He's setting that bar himself that he sees it as a vote on the confidence of his government. We do not have confidence in this deal and his government's ability on this question. We'll have discussions about it, but as it stands now, we will not be supporting it."

A lot of roaring by the opposition now,but this fall I expect the opposition to be changing their tunes when the polls say Canadians don't want an election and if the Conservative popularity soars some more,you'll see the opposition suddenly in favour of the softwood bill.