Republicans could lose Congress

The president's party historically has lost seats in the sixth year of his service. Franklin D. Roosevelt lost 72 House seats in 1938; Dwight D. Eisenhower 48 in 1958. The exception was Bill Clinton in 1998.

Interesting. And given the President's unpopularity at the moment...

Watch for the rise of the Democratic Party!

There are a lot of Iraqi veterans running for the Democrats this election. It is a little hard to accuse them of being yellow bellied cowards.

Easy to dismiss them as a direction-less, unorganized protest party though. I know what the Republicans stand for, whether I agree with it or not. I can't quite get my head around the long-term vision and policies of the Democrats... other than not being Republican.

This was the plight of the Reform party in Canada, they were simply anti-Liberal. It only got the vote of all those frustrated people, despite having no real long term vision other than just being not Liberal. Never really succeeded, and I hope most Americans will have the common sense to not elect a party with no leadership, no vision and simply no real policy.

Easy to dismiss them as a direction-less, unorganized protest party though. I know what the Republicans stand for, whether I agree with it or not. I can't quite get my head around the long-term vision and policies of the Democrats... other than not being Republican.

This was the plight of the Reform party in Canada, they were simply anti-Liberal. It only got the vote of all those frustrated people, despite having no real long term vision other than just being not Liberal. Never really succeeded, and I hope most Americans will have the common sense to not elect a party with no leadership, no vision and simply no real policy.

It is hard to say with every Congressional seat up for grabs and a third of the Senate what the local issues are. I don't know that you can solely say a direction-less party. How do we know that the guy running for the Democrats in the so and so district is not an ace candidate who will *bring* new ideas to the Democrats?

There may be some protest aspect of the vote but there always is that sort of thing in an election with an unpopular government. Change often brings in the new leadership.

At the moment, even the Conservative movement is upset at Bush for a variety of things.