CTV To Buy CHUM

And some people want HBO, the real MTV, Showtime and Sci-Fi Channel as well as the read HGTV, etc. It's quite possible that we'll see most Canadian networks and cable taken over in the next years. We'll see what the Conservative have planned for the CRTC. Many said they would dismantle it.

For some Canadians, it can't come too soon. They don't want Canadian televison. Period.

I want my local news, I'm sure most Canadian's do. I do enjoy some Canadian content on CBC, some of the documentaries that is (whether I believe CBC is good for Canada is another situation).

Other than that and Corner Gas, I don't see alot of good Canadian TV out there. I'd rather watch the latest and greatest American shows... most of the time. HBO is supposed to be great, wish I could get it. I'd love some of the American sport channels too.

And most importantly, I'd like to be able to watch Fox News for the other side of the American perspective for once.

And some people want HBO, the real MTV, Showtime and Sci-Fi Channel as well as the read HGTV, etc. It's quite possible that we'll see most Canadian networks and cable taken over in the next years. We'll see what the Conservative have planned for the CRTC. Many said they would dismantle it.

For some Canadians, it can't come too soon. They don't want Canadian televison. Period.

I want my local news, I'm sure most Canadian's do. I do enjoy some Canadian content on CBC, some of the documentaries that is (whether I believe CBC is good for Canada is another situation).

Other than that and Corner Gas, I don't see alot of good Canadian TV out there. I'd rather watch the latest and greatest American shows... most of the time. HBO is supposed to be great, wish I could get it. I'd love some of the American sport channels too.

And most importantly, I'd like to be able to watch Fox News for the other side of the American perspective for once.

I'm sure you'd get your local news after media companies became American. I just doubt there'd be much national news. I could be wrong. I seriously see little support for Canadian TV and the ratings for local news proves not a lot of the overall population watches it or any Canadian TV for that matter. We could full out U.S. programming and there'd barely be a whimper.

We could full out U.S. programming and there'd barely be a whimper.
You are living in a bubble. Most Canadians see Canada as a different country from the US and would not quitely accept such an outcome.

I wish that were true. I'd love a healthy Canadian television market but it hasn't been that way, maybe never really was given our proximity to the U.S.

The fact is that Aspers among other media owners asked the federal government last year to loosen foreign ownerhip restictrions and got a sympathetic ear. They also asked for a looser interpretation of Canadian content and their request was granted. That is why E-talk Daily and ET Canada count as Canadian content and they don't have to do drama or comedy.

It is a steady chipping away and I believe I am on a fairly strong footing when I say that most Canadians favour U.S. programs over Canadian programs.

So I don't think it is a bubble.

I'm not sure what sort of public policy platform would work in this wired world now. And given the Conservative government in Ottawa, they could allow further erosion. How? By letting MTV, Sci-Fi and HBO in as well Direct TV, etc. It would be a very popular thing to do.

Though I am concerned about the further merging of our media.
The only thing that concerns me is that the media must get licenses from the government. I do not like alliances between business and government.

I would rather that the broadcasting industry be left to regulate itself freely. Conflicting radio signals can be solved in a free market without tax-payer dollars.

Why should a person who does not watch television pay for regulating the televsion inudstry?

Why should a person who does not listen to radio pay for regulating the radio inudstry?

Why should a person who does not read newspapers pay for regulating the newspaper inudstry?

FoxNews has been available in Canada for about two years now. I have it on my legal, CRTC-approved digital cable system.

But you aren't missing much, unless you are fascinated by stories of missing suburbanite women and GOP-administration talking points.

Though I am concerned about the further merging of our media.
The only thing that concerns me is that the media must get licenses from the government. I do not like alliances between business and government.

I would rather that the broadcasting industry be left to regulate itself freely. Conflicting radio signals can be solved in a free market without tax-payer dollars.

Why should a person who does not watch television pay for regulating the televsion inudstry?

Why should a person who does not listen to radio pay for regulating the radio inudstry?

Why should a person who does not read newspapers pay for regulating the newspaper inudstry?

Conflicting signals is the only thing broadcaster *have* agreed the CRTC should regulate. The free market has found they don't do a very good job regulating that area.

We could full out U.S. programming and there'd barely be a whimper.
You are living in a bubble. Most Canadians see Canada as a different country from the US and would not quitely accept such an outcome.

Being an American I agree. Canada is to the US as Saudi Arabia or Syria is to Israel. Very different countries.

Many public opinion polls showed Canadians wanted unfettered access to American signals. A lot of people asked said they wouldn't mind if there were no Canadian stations because they never watched them.
Sounds like a poll commissioned by US television companies. I think people would have a different opinion if you asked them specifically about news programming.

Why? People want television for entertainment. Canadian television rarely entertains anyone.

Doesn't do much of a job of informing anyone either. It's biased and untrustworthy. Not to mention grossly inefficient.

They also asked for a looser interpretation of Canadian content and their request was granted.

I was in Toronto at a bookstore around when CanCon was introduced back around 1973. The store owner explained the "culture preserving" aspect of it.

I subscribe to Canadian Geographic and the feature article for one of the issues was the re-introduction of wolves to Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming. The Canadian content in that article; the Alberta and BC locations where the wolves were captured for export.

I hear they said "eh" when they howled.

Why? People want television for entertainment. Canadian television rarely entertains anyone.

Doesn't do much of a job of informing anyone either. It's biased and untrustworthy. Not to mention grossly inefficient.

I sued to post on the CBC bulletin board. In fact, I loved it so much that me and another poster, Roy Wilson, brought the board down by providing source material for a highly unfavorable National Post article about it. Anyone interested either PM, e-mail or MSN me and I'll send a PDF scan of the article.

Many public opinion polls showed Canadians wanted unfettered access to American signals. A lot of people asked said they wouldn't mind if there were no Canadian stations because they never watched them.
Sounds like a poll commissioned by US television companies. I think people would have a different opinion if you asked them specifically about news programming.

It's probably just a matter of time before Canada gets unfettered access to the U.S. TV and the Canadian television industry will be sold to the U.S.