Draft Brian Tobin

If the citizens of Canada want to actually get something done in this nation they will need a leader to pull it off. Harper simply doesn't make the grade, he inspires nobody. Layton only inspires lefties. Tobin has the ability to utilize a support base that transcends partisan boundries. The man is literally Captain Canada. He is the only politician I have seen in this country in the last thirty years with both the balls and brains to lead a government in the direction of prosperity.

I don't want him as just a Liberal, in fact I don't want a Liberal. I want Tobin. I want the Tobinator unfettered by partisan leadership to act in the interests of citizens.

Somebody has to have his email address or know how to get to him, lets find him and convince him that All in Good Time has arrived....

Brian Tobin? Nah. I say we get Mulroney back. He's tanned, rested and as good with a Blackberry as he was with a Touchtone.

I'd love to see Mulroney back, unfortunately most Canadians probably wouldn't agree.

Either way, Bernie Lord is far better an inspirational voice than Tobin ever could want to be.

As to Tobin, one must look at the economic record of the province he led. In our country, a governor's record is examined. Frankly, that is one of the advantages of governors often running for President.

While it is hard for sitting premiers to run for PM, if not impossible, it is a good thing to be ablle to examine their record. From what I hear Tobin's is badly wanting.

Provincial premiers don't last long as prime ministers.

I can't think of any provincial premiers that have become PM's in Canada's history. By contrast, in the US, the following recent Presidents (arbitrarily starting in 1900) have become Presidents, and every one except Jimmy Carter was re-elected once (now the maximum re-elections):

1. Theodore Roosevelt (of New York) (President 1901-1909)
  2. Woodrow Wilson (of New Jersey) (President 1913-1921)
  3. Calvin Coolidge (of Massachusetts) (President 1923-1929)
  4. Franklin Roosevelt (of New York) (President 1933-1945)
  5. Jimmy Carter (of Georgia) (President 1977-1981)
  6. Ronald Reagan, (of California) (President 1981-1989)
  7. William J. Clinton (of Arkansas) (President 1993-2001)
  8. George W. Bush (of Texas) (President 2001- )

You can see that with very few exceptions Presidents during modern times are former governors.

So what if he isn't French enough. Those citizens have decided that French is the ONLY way to go. The rest of the nation has to include a language that a very small percentage of the population uses, and they can make the use of English a crime. Give me a break.

I thought that we could solve this with their referendum, but I guess not. We should have had a referendum when they did, our question could have been should Quebec be allowed to stay in Canada?

What do you think the rest of Canada would have said to that?

So what if he isn't French enough. Those citizens have decided that French is the ONLY way to go. The rest of the nation has to include a language that a very small percentage of the population uses, and they can make the use of English a crime. Give me a break.

I thought that we could solve this with their referendum, but I guess not. We should have had a referendum when they did, our question could have been should Quebec be allowed to stay in Canada?

What do you think the rest of Canada would have said to that?

Just stating the reality of all federal parties. Stephen Harper himself would not have been leader had it not been for his French.

I personally don't think any province has a right to separate. Certainly, not with a slim majority of support at any rate.

I can't think of any provincial premiers that have become PM's in Canada's history. By contrast, in the US, the following recent Presidents (arbitrarily starting in 1900) have become Presidents
To my knowledge, the only provincial leader who went on to become federal PM was Charles Tupper but he was never elected.

Several Canadian provincial premiers have become federal leaders (Edward Blake, Robert Stanfield and George Drew) but none have been elected PM. (That's one reason I suspect that Bob Rae will not become federal Liberal leader.) It is generally rare for politicians to switch from federal to provincial politics although there are exceptions. (Rae did, as did Charest, Lesage, Stockwell Day.)

Superficially, Americans and Canadians resemble each other but the politics of the two countries make clear the stark differences. This is one example. State governors can go on to become president but provincial premiers cannot become PM.

Canadian politics are driven by regional politics.

----

There is no chance of Brian Tobin becoming a federal leader in the foreseeable future (Tobin was born in 1954). Whoever the Liberals choose, it will be among the current 11 candidates and that person will remain leader for at least two or more elections.

True enough, but there is a very great likelyhood that the Liberal Party will have to appoint a leader. This will sink them in the polls. Steve is going to call an election, winter campaing maybe, but spring for sure. The man wants a majority so bad he will probably set up a bill for a fall.

As far as I can see, Tobin was always just another left wing Liberal except he was worse. He was a Chretien left wing Liberal. And just because he hails from Newfoundland, doesn't mean a thing. He has as much of a remote chance as Hedy Fry from the Left Coast.

Mulroney (he of the GST) gave us the GST. There is one man who should be ashamed of himself.

To my knowledge, the only provincial leader who went on to become federal PM was Charles Tupper but he was never elected.

Semi-correction:

He was elected to the Legislative Assembly of the Northwest Territories in the 1898 general election representing the riding of West Calgary, he would be re-elected to a second term in office in 1902 Independent from the parties in the Northwest Territories legislature.

In 1905, when Alberta was carved out of the territories and made a province, Bennett became the first leader of the Alberta Conservative Party and, in 1909, won a seat in the provincial legislature before switching to federal politics.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Bedfo...iscount_Bennett

Geoffrey,

I didn't know that Bennett had lead the Albertan Conservative Party and had sat in the provincial legislature. (Apparently, he sat simultaneously in two parliaments.) I did know that Harper is Canada's second PM from Calgary (Bennett held Calgary South, Harper holds Calgary Southwest - I don't know Calgary at all except to know the Bow River flows through it. Clark as PM was from High River which I guess made him a Calgary wannabe.) Moreover, both Bennett and Harper were transplanted Ontarians. Bennett went west to make his fortune whereas Harper's father went west to be an accountant.

Bennett died a Viscount and is buried in England. I tend to think of him as a benevolent Conrad Black, or maybe I think of Black as an anachronism.

BTW, the wikipedia link says that Bennett was a Calgary law partner of Sir James Lougheed, the Senator. That was Peter's grandfather. James' son (and Peter's father) declared bankruptcy and the grandfather's house and furniture were lost. Peter Lougheed grew up poor but feeling important, and appreciated life's fate.

I did know that Harper is Canada's second PM from Calgary (Bennett held Calgary South, Harper holds Calgary Southwest - I don't know Calgary at all except to know the Bow River flows through it. Clark as PM was from High River which I guess made him a Calgary wannabe.)

Where was Joe Clark from?

I did know that Harper is Canada's second PM from Calgary (Bennett held Calgary South, Harper holds Calgary Southwest - I don't know Calgary at all except to know the Bow River flows through it. Clark as PM was from High River which I guess made him a Calgary wannabe.)

High River Alberta. Link here.

30 mins south of Calgary, mostly farming/retiree town now-a-days.

High River Alberta. Link here.

30 mins south of Calgary, mostly farming/retiree town now-a-days.

Didn't he sit in a Calgary riding?