Sheehan Supports U.S. Deserters in Canada

Killjoy,

However eloquant, I find you skim over some very imprtant aspects when describing I raq. Especially the area you touch on when you claim that Iraq only began to get bad when Abu Ghraib took place. It began with the deliberate attempt to mislead people's perception of how dangerous Saddam was to America. Inspectors were saying almost exclusively that Saddam had no WMDs. If you believe that Bush and the administration were simply fed bad intelligence I think you might be naive. And the alternative is heinous - to lie in order to justify an invasion of another nation. Then, the ultimate flimsy excuse - "Saddam was an evil dictator."

If that is what make a nation a candidate to get attacked then there are several who would have been ahead of Iraq. And I know you want me to say the word 'oil', after all, isn't that what all the lefty, windbag conspiracy theorists think."

"Dude, this war is a war for oil, man...."

Sadly, this happens to be true. But the beating drum of FOX News , Pat Roberston, Bill O'Reilly and the entire administration kept hammering away at the evil of Saddam, but chose to ignore countries who were already nuclear strapped nations AND had evil dictators (i.e. - North Korea). At the same time they dismiss the notion that it's about oil as "left propaganda", a ploy to make people think that we're all X Files junkies with too vivid imaginations.

You sound intelligent - you must know that war and economics go hand in hand. So why is it a justification for war? Yes, Russia has done terrible things - but the reason America is singled out is so obvious it should blind you.

They are the only superpower.

As the only superpower you are the only one with the capabilites to simply invade a nation after making up lies as to why. No other nation could have gotten away with what took place. Shock and Awe killed an estimated 5ooo civilians, and people shrug and say "It's just the realities of war." Then add the Abu Prison Scandal. Then add GITMO. WHat other nation could up and say "We're taking them here...shut up, we don't 'recognize' international law on this one." No other nation could do this, and America isn't the only country that counts.

As far as the history you are correct, America is far from the only nation who has a terrible history. It is violent as hell however, and it continues today. WW2 is something that America can be proud of, even though I think if the atomic bomb were used it should have landed on Germany, not Japan. Now, as the only nation ever to actually use a nuclear WMD, they are the so-called police making sure certain nations are exempt from the club. Not that I think it is wrong to not allow Iran to create one, but don't make up that Iraq does, especially when you have more than the world combined.

If Bush were the leader of any other nation he would be a war criminal.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[EDIT] - Fixed the links. 'Scuse me.[/EDIT]

Especially the area you touch on when you claim that Iraq only began to get bad when Abu Ghraib took place. It began with the deliberate attempt to mislead people's perception of how dangerous Saddam was to America. Inspectors were saying almost exclusively that Saddam had no WMDs. If you believe that Bush and the administration were simply fed bad intelligence I think you might be naive. And the alternative is heinous - to lie in order to justify an invasion of another nation. Then, the ultimate flimsy excuse - "Saddam was an evil dictator."

I need to break this down. Be patient.

It began with the deliberate attempt to mislead people's perception of how dangerous Saddam was to America.

I disagree - severely. It began almost as soon as he came into power but that's too far back for our purposes. For us it began with Kuwait and hasn't really ever stopped. There has only ever been a cease-fire with conditions set out by the U.N, which he continually tested or broke. He continually frustrated U.N attempts to search for all kind of materials and arms as per conditions of the cease-fire.

n 1993 the United States, France, and Britain launched several air and cruise-missile strikes against Iraq in response to provocations, including an alleged Iraqi plan to assassinate former President George H. W. Bush. An Iraqi troop build-up near Kuwait in 1994 led the United States to send forces to Kuwait and nearby areas. Continued resistance to weapons inspections led to bombing raids against Iraq, and trade sanctions imposed on Iraq remained in place, albeit with an emphasis on military-related goods until the second Gulf conflict.

->

Like that and like this...And it goes on and on from there. In a nutshell: This war hasn't ended and it's entirely his doing from Kuwait on. I don't know the geopolitical slang for "A royal pain in the ass", but it translates to basically a committed presence on the part of the original allies until he get out of there. I would be remiss in not mentioning the Kurds..

A peace conference was held in Iraqi territory occupied by the coalition. At the conference, Iraq won the approval of the use of armed helicopters on their side of the temporary border, ostensibly for government transit due to the damage done to civilian transportation. Soon after, these helicopters, and much of the Iraqi armed forces, were refocused toward fighting against a Shiite uprising in the south. In the North, Kurdish leaders took heart in American statements that they would support an uprising and began fighting, in the hopes of triggering a coup. However, when no American support was forthcoming, Iraqi generals remained loyal and brutally crushed the Kurdish troops. Millions of Kurds fled across the mountains to Kurdish areas of Turkey and Iran. These incidents would later result in no-fly zones being established in both the North and the South of Iraq. In Kuwait, the Emir was restored and suspected Iraqi collaborators were repressed. Eventually, over 400,000 people were expelled from the country, including a large number of Palestinians (due to their support of and collaboration with Saddam Hussein).

By the end of Clinton’s admin (here's a guy that knows how to keep a war out of the papers -bravo), it was clear this was only ever going to end one way. No matter the next administration this was costing too much and this dog had to be put down now or $1000B from now.

If that is what make a nation a candidate to get attacked then there are several who would have been ahead of Iraq. And I know you want me to say the word 'oil', after all, isn't that what all the lefty, windbag conspiracy theorists think."

"Dude, this war is a war for oil, man...."

Sadly, this happens to be true.

I disagree. Sure "its'" about oil because oil is Iraq's only lifeblood. However the invasions, in ever-military irony, were about limiting conflict in the region. We will never know to what extent if failed or succeeded. Hear me out: There is no mistake. Hussein is clearly as we see today, now and always a complete delusional, homicidal, maniac. Lets just examine that bombastic statement for a moment. Hussein gets into office in 1979 and pretty immediately looks to expand his "kingdom":

Iraq had staged a battle against Iranian forces a year earlier in 1974, resulting in heavy casualties on both sides. Iran attempted to destabilize Iraq and encouraged Kurdish nationalists to break up the country, in answer to Iraq's similar activities in Iran's Khuzestan province. Iran's embassy in London was subsequently attacked by Iraqi-sponsored terrorist forces a few months prior to the war in 1980, in what came to be known as The Iranian Embassy Siege.

Saddam Hussein, Iraq's president at that time, was eagerly interested in elevating Iraq to a strong regional power. A successful invasion of Iran would make Iraq the dominant power in the Persian Gulf region and strengthen its lucrative oil trade. Such lofty ambitions were not that far-fetched. Severe officer purges (including several executions ordered by Sādeq Khālkhālī, the post-revolution sharī`ah ruler) and spare part shortages for Iran's American-made equipment had crippled Iran's once mighty military. The bulk of the Iranian military was made up of poorly armed, though committed, militias. Iran had minimal defences in the Arvand/Shatt al-`Arab river.

Saddām on numerous occasions alluded to the Islamic conquest of Iran in propagating his anti-Persian position against Iran. For example, on 02 April 1980, a half-year before the outbreak of the war, in a visit by Saddām to al-Mustansiriyyah University in Baghdad, drawing parallels to the 7th-Century defeat of Persia in the Battle of al-Qādisiyyah he announced:

link

The ensuing war between Iraq and Iran drains each nation of it's males, devastated both nations main import oil, (not just for the customer but the seller), and just so happened to leave Saddam owing Kuwait $14B for their backing in his incredibly incompetent war -- this could be summed up nicely in the Gulf War, with his moronic spreading out of his armoured units, "entrenched" out in the middle nowhere, soon to become airpower target practice more than actual defence. The Iran/Iraq war ended about 1988. This gave him a whole 2(?) years to recuperate the best he could before sabre-rattling again against the very people who backed him in the first war.

Having finally talked his way out of the Gulf War and keeping his country any half-assed responsible, semi-sane leader (read Kadafi) could've made nice and built an economy and maybe his country would have a chance to survive, but no. He's gotta keep playing the games I pointed out earlier.

There was no choice. This isn't a global neighbourhood. It's a prison. We can't escape each other and as the mobsters would say, "He HAD to go". That's the only way it could end and there is ABSOLUTELY no way anyone here can reasonably suggest that it would be 'likely' that Saddam would’ve not gone to war again causing far more death so long as USA and the UK didn’t spend all their time with him on a leash.

but the reason America is singled out is so obvious it should blind you.

They are the only superpower. As the only superpower you are the only one with the capabilities to simply invade a nation after making up lies as to why. No other nation could have gotten away with what took place. Shock and Awe killed an estimated 5ooo civilians, and people shrug and say "It's just the realities of war." Then add the Abu Prison Scandal. Then add GITMO. What other nation could up and say "We're taking them here...shut up, we don't 'recognize' international law on this one." No other nation could do this, and America isn't the only country that counts.

You have to re-evaluate that. That is Western arrogance. They are not the only super power. They are perhaps the 'superest'-super power but yes, China or Russia can apparently do what they will and invade whom they like and sell arms wherever, there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it. They both have thousands of ICBMs. We’re done. As to your point about the death and carnage, I reiterate about the carnage that would, (historically proven), happen again to more than 200000 or whatever that awful number is today: It could be 1M+ today if the West ignored Hussein entirely.

In Rwanda, UN forces would've only needed a battalion more hull strength, and to perhaps shoot-to kill a dozen? a thousand? In the end they would've been able to open a free route for refugees or security for safe zones. The army wasn't interested in stopping them or helping them. IT was only the mob that had to be stopped. As sure as I'm breathing all that death could've been prevented if only we'd be willing to kill some...but that's not how history would write it. Those 500000-800000 dead would be hypothetical, laughed and looked down upon by the anti-war cliché who would claim that was ill justification for shooting 500 mobsters dead.

You sound intelligent -
Don't even start.
you must know that war and economics go hand in hand.

Yes but not the way I believe you think it does. One does not drive the other. Wars happen because one side refuses to negotiate. Regardless of the circumstances fair or otherwise that is why wars start. You read what I linked you too and decide if Hussein was not give a chance to negotiate, to change his tactics, to compromise and then we can start talking about the damage done by two countries many seem to expect to pay to keep him out of the news.

Business follows war like stink on shit. But it's not the shit.

I believe we should also re-evaluate our perception of oil producing nations and the hype of how dependant the West is supposed to be on Iraqi oil. Especially in terms of the last 8 years.

Tops suppliers of US Crude oil

Oil reserves

Total petroleum imports

If it was 'all about oil' why not invade Mexico or even easier, Canada? This logic is always missed: The Iraqi people are dependent on Iraqi oil.

Iraq today could’ve been won without Au Garib.

Abu Garib started the wave that brings us what we see today.

War is an ugly necessity and it will be for a long time to come.

And Halliburton thanks you for your comments.

When Clinton was President Halliburton had their hands in the White House to because Halliburton is smart enough to grease the wheels of both parties in the White House. The only reason Liberals keep bringing the name of Evil Halliburton up is because Cheney use to run it before becoming VP.. :rolleyes:

But Halliburton's profits have skyrocketed from the Iraq war from their no-bid contracts (which they never got under Clinton). Nobody is saying they're evil and that they shouldn't have any dealings with the government. They're saying the U.S. shouldn't start wars for them to get rich, and other companies should at least get a chance to get rich too.

When Clinton was President Halliburton had their hands in the White House to because Halliburton is smart enough to grease the wheels of both parties in the White House. The only reason Liberals keep bringing the name of Evil Halliburton up is because Cheney use to run it before becoming VP.. :rolleyes:

And I'm sure that $20 million they gave to Cheney for severance greased the wheels pretty damn well.

And I'm sure that $20 million they gave to Cheney for severance greased the wheels pretty damn well.

We will never know how well they greased the wheels when Clinton was in office. Point is with companies like Halliburton they grease both sides damn well..

Oddman, in your opinion what should be done about the current situation in Iraq? Do you think the US should pull out immediately? Do you think the US should continue in Iraq but Dubya should stand trial as a war criminal?

That's the million dollar question.

I think Bush should be impeached as soon as possible - but then I worry about having a President Cheaney to deal with. But then again, maybe we already do have that.

I do not think America should cut and run, but I think every time an Iraqi soldier is considered 'battle-ready' one American soldier should go home. I am not familiar with the battalion numbers neccessary for a completely functional unit so maybe for every two Iraqi soldiers who are ready one American goes home. Either way, troops should be shrinking as we speak.

When all is said and done, whenever that may be, I hope the Haugue do call in Rumsfeld and Bush, even though they would never be touched by an international court. The symbolism of the world saying "Yeah, you are the only superpower but this does not mean we are going to let you waltz into the sunset" would be satisfactory and would help international relations with whoever is elected in 2008.

Her son willingly went to Iraq and re-enlisted and I agree, she's a dupe, and look who's supporting her - George Soros and his left wing propaganda machine.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1470024/posts

Shehan's son is gone..... What his motive was for re-upping is no longer an issue! Cindy Sheehan is attempting to save lives, be they American or Iraqi. I spent '66 and '67 in s'east asia, and the same script is being played out 35 years later by a cast of characters that are direct decendants of the same crew that perpatrated death and destruction, and bled the U.S. government for all that was possible. While U.S. negotiators and Le Doc To were arguing about the shape of the conference table in paris. 25,000 more died.

The bumper sticker patriots who are so ready to support a policy (without their own children) have as much blood on their hands as the politicians and commercial executives that are raking in the dough. It was people like Cindy Sheehan thirty five years ago that were called every name possible by the powers that be , that saved thousand of soldiers and Vietnamese from death. 59,000 dead (150,000 maimed) and this included Canadians. 200,000 dead Vietnamese.

Not surprisingly, it turned out that this war was also being fought for oil leases in the South China Sea off Vung Tau, where internationals in later years began producing oil. This area where so many died is now a resort area.

paul

That's the million dollar question.

I think Bush should be impeached as soon as possible - but then I worry about having a President Cheaney to deal with. But then again, maybe we already do have that.

I do not think America should cut and run, but I think every time an Iraqi soldier is considered 'battle-ready' one American soldier should go home. I am not familiar with the battalion numbers neccessary for a completely functional unit so maybe for every two Iraqi soldiers who are ready one American goes home. Either way, troops should be shrinking as we speak.

When all is said and done, whenever that may be, I hope the Haugue do call in Rumsfeld and Bush, even though they would never be touched by an international court. The symbolism of the world saying "Yeah, you are the only superpower but this does not mean we are going to let you waltz into the sunset" would be satisfactory and would help international relations with whoever is elected in 2008.

1) Impeachment does not mean removal. Clinton was impeached but remained in office for his full term. If you mean removed, say removed.

2) If Bush and Rumsfeld are valid candidates for trial in the Hague, then there is an enormous line of world leaders in front of them who need to go to trial first. (I nearly typed frist. That would have been a funny Freudian slip, no?) The question then becomes, who goes first, Putin or Chirac?

Shehan's son is gone..... What his motive was for re-upping is no longer an issue! Cindy Sheehan is attempting to save lives, be they American or Iraqi. I spent '66 and '67 in s'east asia, and the same script is being played out 35 years later by a cast of characters that are direct decendants of the same crew that perpatrated death and destruction, and bled the U.S. government for all that was possible. While U.S. negotiators and Le Doc To were arguing about the shape of the conference table in paris. 25,000 more died.

So...the GWB Republicans are direct descendants of the JFK Democrats? I don't think you're going to get a lot of support for that proposition.

The bumper sticker patriots who are so ready to support a policy (without their own children) have as much blood on their hands as the politicians and commercial executives that are raking in the dough. It was people like Cindy Sheehan thirty five years ago that were called every name possible by the powers that be , that saved thousand of soldiers and Vietnamese from death. 59,000 dead (150,000 maimed) and this included Canadians. 200,000 dead Vietnamese.

So, bumper sticker patriots who send their children are still okay though, right? And politicians who lose their seats, and executives who lose their shirts in bad investments, they can sleep soundly too?

Your last two sentences seem contradictory. Cindy Sheehan types in the sixties saved lives, and as a result tens of thousands of people died.

Not surprisingly, it turned out that this war was also being fought for oil leases in the South China Sea off Vung Tau, where internationals in later years began producing oil. This area where so many died is now a resort area.

paul

All's well that ends well?

(Ha! I take it from the tone of your overall post that you mean to imply that wealth-generating oil production and tourist resorts are actually bad things for Vietnam.)

So...the GWB Republicans are direct descendants of the JFK Democrats? I don't think you're going to get a lot of support for that proposition.

So, bumper sticker patriots who send their children are still okay though, right? And politicians who lose their seats, and executives who lose their shirts in bad investments, they can sleep soundly too?

Your last two sentences seem contradictory. Cindy Sheehan types in the sixties saved lives, and as a result tens of thousands of people died.

paul

All's well that ends well?

(Ha! I take it from the tone of your overall post that you mean to imply that wealth-generating oil production and tourist resorts are actually bad things for Vietnam.)

Alls well that ends well? What makes you think its over! You are probably living less than a hundred miles from the border of a country with the third largerst population in the world (behind china and india)The U.S. has lost its industrial base through greed and abuse of the free enterprise system (emphasizing the word "abuse") yet the flow of aliens continues unabatedly from south america, while at the same time americans are being killed on a daily basis. No one but an absolute fool would sacrifice their kid in Iraq or anyplace else while a situation like this exists!

If the business interests insist on using flesh and blood to reap their profits, then its time they start using their own little cherubs to carry out these ventures. The day of using our sons to further your economic gain is coming to an end! With a minimum wage of $5.15 per hr. ( the lowest in the western world) do you really think over 300 million people are going to go along with this entire charade that is nothing more than endentured servitude. People such as Cindy Sheehan are not about to let this happen to others, You may want to knock out a few kids to help protect your investments! Ha

You are worried about about 14 million french speaking people to your east, try dealing with 300 million spanish speaking people to your south who will blow across your border like a cold front, just as they have done here! They actually are a good investment to businessmen for a while, until they decide they have the numbers, and then start telling you what to do! If your investment fails, get a job!

paul

• 2 weeks later...
The U.S. has lost its industrial base through greed and abuse of the free enterprise system

Better tell that to the people of New York City and the entire town I come from in Canada. We have five factories that are US arms and truck to and from so many cities that I can't begin to list. There are loads going back to here to just as many cities and small towns to list as well. You must be going through a dry spell where your at. There are not enough trucks to cart the shit made in both our countries. I say that it goes for the rest of the world as there are so may loads going to the port in Mortreal that we have to sub the stuff as well.

yet the flow of aliens continues unabatedly from south america

Good thing because there aren't enough people to fill the postions to make the shit in demand. Matter of fact, send me a PM and I'll get you a job making $1500 a week as the village idiot if you can endure hard hours.

If the business interests insist on using flesh and blood to reap their profits,

Work. Get an Alberta welfare benifit. Called an alarm clock. They pay you - you show up to work. If there is something heinious in that, would love to hear it. I suppose in your wierd world the people with nothing invested get everything while those withtheir life savings, time and work get nothing.

The day of using our sons to further your economic gain is coming to an end! With a minimum wage of $5.15 per hr.

Insert incredulous insulting comment. Send me PM as above and I will show you where to go for far more than hometown comfy wages made by teenage kids. This is private enterprise

You are worried about about 14 million french speaking people to your east, try dealing with 300 million spanish speaking people to your south who will blow across your border like a cold front

One third of Alberta is from the maritimes. And there is lots of room still. Nobody is worried about French people here

People such as Cindy Sheehan are not about to let this happen to others, You may want to knock out a few kids to help protect your investments! Ha If your investment fails, get a job!

Now I get it, a job is the last resort to you. Wow.

Since this thread has Cindy in the title, here's the latest dope on her, and I do mean dope. The lady has been threatening to do it for I guess a week now, and in that ever challenging task of trying to keep her name in the news, she's going on strike. Hunger strike, that is.

Cindy says she's only going to drink water throughout the summer, which will be spent outside President Bush's ranch in Texas. Let's see: her son died in Iraq, and by eyewitness accounts he wanted to be there. She's now going to starve herself for the rest of the summer, so now she could die over Iraq too. How dumb.

I know they wouldn't let her die, but I've got a question. Who's financing this twit, because it's obvious that, a)She's spending a lot of money hopping around the country and B) She doesn't have a job. Or does she just pass the hat at every press conference she's at.

Who's financing this
You provide the answer "they wouldn't let her die" already. All we have to do is wait throughout the summer and we will learn who "they" happen to be!!

Whoever is financing her will likely be the first to intervene if she comes close to death. I can not see people who disagree with her intervening to save her life.

Sheehan is using her son as a stupid publicity stunt. She does not support people who serve her country in Iraq so that the poor Iraqis could benefit. She should try living a life of a Nigerian child and see what the conditions really are like in Saddam's Iraq.

Since this thread has Cindy in the title, here's the latest dope on her, and I do mean dope. The lady has been threatening to do it for I guess a week now, and in that ever challenging task of trying to keep her name in the news, she's going on strike. Hunger strike, that is.

Cindy says she's only going to drink water throughout the summer, which will be spent outside President Bush's ranch in Texas. Let's see: her son died in Iraq, and by eyewitness accounts he wanted to be there. She's now going to starve herself for the rest of the summer, so now she could die over Iraq too. How dumb.

I know they wouldn't let her die, but I've got a question. Who's financing this twit, because it's obvious that, a)She's spending a lot of money hopping around the country and B) She doesn't have a job. Or does she just pass the hat at every press conference she's at.

Cindy Sheehan's newest stunt isn't a hunger strike it's the way young women are living in Hollywood.. :blink:

As for who's financing her, it could be many Lefty Moonbats such as Moveon.org, Codepinko, Michael Moore and the rest of the Hollywood Halfwits..

The U.S. has lost its industrial base through greed and abuse of the free enterprise system

Better tell that to the people of New York City and the entire town I come from in Canada. We have five factories that are US arms and truck to and from so many cities that I can't begin to list. There are loads going back to here to just as many cities and small towns to list as well. You must be going through a dry spell where your at. There are not enough trucks to cart the shit made in both our countries. I say that it goes for the rest of the world as there are so may loads going to the port in Mortreal that we have to sub the stuff as well.

yet the flow of aliens continues unabatedly from south america

Good thing because there aren't enough people to fill the postions to make the shit in demand. Matter of fact, send me a PM and I'll get you a job making $1500 a week as the village idiot if you can endure hard hours.

If the business interests insist on using flesh and blood to reap their profits,

Work. Get an Alberta welfare benifit. Called an alarm clock. They pay you - you show up to work. If there is something heinious in that, would love to hear it. I suppose in your wierd world the people with nothing invested get everything while those withtheir life savings, time and work get nothing.

The day of using our sons to further your economic gain is coming to an end! With a minimum wage of $5.15 per hr.

Insert incredulous insulting comment. Send me PM as above and I will show you where to go for far more than hometown comfy wages made by teenage kids. This is private enterprise

You are worried about about 14 million french speaking people to your east, try dealing with 300 million spanish speaking people to your south who will blow across your border like a cold front

One third of Alberta is from the maritimes. And there is lots of room still. Nobody is worried about French people here

People such as Cindy Sheehan are not about to let this happen to others, You may want to knock out a few kids to help protect your investments! Ha If your investment fails, get a job!

Now I get it, a job is the last resort to you. Wow.

No, you don't get it ! ! I own a small business, however I'll PM you about a part time village idiot job at $ 1500.00 a week (US). Maybe I can catch a couple of Leafs games after work hours..