Police officers face religion survey to test claims of bias

Guest Warwick Green

Guest Warwick Green

There was a time when some Ontario municipalities would not hire Catholics and some private companies discriminated against Catholics in their promotion practices.

Police officers face religion survey to test claims of bias

SCOTLAND'S 15,000 police officers will be asked to declare their religion as part of a national audit amid claims that Catholics are being denied promotion by a "stained glass ceiling".

The survey also seeks information on sexuality and gender, after concern that minority groups are grossly under-represented in the upper echelons of the police service.

Members of the Catholic Church have previously called for the move to tackle alleged sectarianism within the police's ranks. The audit has been launched to establish how accurately the police service is representing the communities they serve....

A Church source added: "I'm aware of anecdotal evidence that a 'stained glass ceiling' exists in the police service. I know Catholics in the police who have not been able to get beyond the rank of sergeant because they were Catholic, and were not Masons."...

Monsignor Joseph Creegan, of the Catholic Church's Dunkeld diocese, said he believed sectarianism was once rife in the police service. But he said this was no longer a major problem and claimed the audit was taking political correctness too far....

He said: "With the best will in the world, it's impossible to get an exact replica of society in any organisation. They should be getting the best person for the job. I think asking everyone if they are Church of Scotland or Roman Catholic is going too far."

http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=820012006

Ahh, I wonder if the women can get through this stain-glass ceiling?

I was told at one time this problem with people being Mason's is actually common over on this side of the pond too. Some professions its easier to get ahead if your WASP vs. the Catholic (or whatever else you are) apparently.

As a Catholic myself though, I never found myself in a position of discrimination, besides when the gays attacked our Bishops saying our Church promotes hate speech.

Other than that, all is well in the Catholic discrimination world I believe.