Suspected Terrorists Arrested in Toronto

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The headline should have read:

Bomb goes off while being built. 10's of would be terrorists blown back to Allah.

Why couldn't CSIS arrange this? End of story....

Seriously, I don't have anything to add. I'm just happy someones on top of this crap.

The notion that 'someone bought 3 tonnes of fertilizer' is a little weak/ignorant. Most likely all of them were invovled with it. Buying a bag or two here and there, storing it up over time. Someone would have been suspicious if anyone (without a farm as mentioned) wanted to buy 3 tonnes right there and then. That is alot of cash to carry around, for I am guessing he/they would not have used a legit credit card if they tried it that way.

They bought it bag by bag through many different stores/chaines, through a long period of time.

The notion that 'someone bought 3 tonnes of fertilizer' is a little weak/ignorant. Most likely all of them were invovled with it. Buying a bag or two here and there, storing it up over time. Someone would have been suspicious if anyone (without a farm as mentioned) wanted to buy 3 tonnes right there and then. That is alot of cash to carry around, for I am guessing he/they would not have used a legit credit card if they tried it that way.
From what I understand, that's about $1200 worth of fertilizer. 3 metric tonnes is alot.

It appears now that the RCMP and CSIS, along with the FBI, have been watching this group for up to two years.

The father of accused Shareef Abdelhaleen, a 30-year-old computer programmer from nearby Mississauga, said the charges made no sense.

"I am shocked," said the Egyptian immigrant who came to Canada with his son 20 years ago and is an engineer on contract with Atomic Energy of Canada. "It's crazy. It's has no meaning whatsoever."

The senior Abdelhaleen also confirmed that he posted bail for Mohammad Mahjoub who is currently in Kingston, Ont., on a national security certificate.

940 News

AECL?

Mahjoub has been held in "Guantanamo North" for about five years under a security certificate. Mahjoub has been the subject of a Left campaign to have him and others released. There's a hunger strike on now. I don't get the reference to posting bail because he's still in custody.

I suspect that the Left is going to say that this is a vendetta on flimsy evidence or something.

BTW, the Supreme Court is supposed to rule on security certificates soon.

They bought it bag by bag through many different stores/chaines, through a long period of time.

Where would one buy that much fertilizer? At the local Home Depot? :ph34r:

Defence lawyer Rocco Galati, who was representing some of the suspects, protested the intense security measures at the court. He asked that security be diminished when the accused next make their next court appearance on Tuesday.

Outside the courtroom, Mr. Galati a veteran of terrorism cases, scoffed at the allegations.

"I've seen fertilizer for the last eight years," he said, commenting on the strength of previous cases by the government that he has fought against.

In court, Mr. Galati was accompanied by Aly Hindy, a Toronto imam and friend of the highly-controversial Khadr family, who have well-established connections to al-Qaeda.

Mr. Hindy, a controverisial Iman, leads an Islamic centre in Scarborough, said he knew several of the accused because they prayed at his mosque but said they were not terrorists.

"He said the charges are to keep George Bush happy, that's all."

G & M
Alvin Chand, brother of Toronto suspect Steven Vikash Chand, scoffed at the charges outside the courthouse.

“He's not a terrorist, come on, he's a Canadian citizen” Mr. Chand said of his brother. “The people that were arrested are good people. They go to the mosque. They go to school, go to college.”

Aly Hindy, an imam at the Salaheddin Islamic Centre in nearby Scarborough, said the centre's mosque had been monitored by security agencies for years. He said Muslims were once again being falsely accused.

“It's not terrorism. It could be some criminal activity with a few guys, that's all,” said Mr. Hindy.

G & M

Given the connection to Mahjoub and the security certidicates and Galati, I'll bet this case becomes a political football.

The fertilizer and weapons evidence better be solid because the Left will not accept Internet messages and maps of downtown Toronto.

All things considered, this is one incident in a much broader and serious battle.

-----

CSIS:

"This operation in no way reflects negatively on any specific community or ethnocultural group in Canada. Terrorism is a dangerous ideology, and a global phenomenon. As yesterday's arrests demonstrate, Canada is not immune from this ideology."

This quote flies in the face of all the evidence and while politically correct, it somehow seems dishonest. The RCMP release 12 names (5 more names are not given, being underage) and all 12 names are apparently Arabic, Persian or Afghani. Among the 17, there is a distinction drawn between Canadian citizens and "residents". (Are they here as visitors, refugee claimants or permanent residents?)

Argus, above, raises the question which many people are no doubt now wondering, are they "Canadian" in a broader sense of the word? Should we even ask such a question?

There are good people with Arabic names who are good Canadians. It would be helpful to everyone if it were more clear what a good Canadian is. It seems to me that over the past few decades, the idea has become muddled.

----

This incident reminds me in a much smaller way of the FLQ crisis. Then too, there was alot of confusion and various theories. IMV, the FLQ crisis was far more serious for Canada. This situation is graver for the world.

TORONTO (AP) -- At least 10 suspects were arrested in the Toronto area on terrorism-related charges, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police said late Friday.

The Canadian Press quoted an unnamed police source as saying the charges were related to an explosives plot in Ontario, Canada's largest province.

The arrests were made throughout the day and more were expected overnight, with some 400 officers involved, said RCMP spokeswoman Cpl. Michele Paradis.

The national police force said it would reveal more details at a news conference Saturday.

''Most of the police services throughout the greater Toronto area have been involved,'' Paradis said.

New York Times

Well, this will be story for discussion.

Let's just pray there was no racial profiling going on here!!

This has nothing to do with our involvement in Afghanistan, and if you had listened to the comments made by Zacaruis Moussoui during his recent trail in the United States you would realize that extremist Muslins view ALL non-Muslim countries as infidels and we should all be paying homage to Islam, because they think that it is the one and only religion. If this is the type of crap taught to Muslims, it is little wonder Muslim countries worry about anything modern.

Defence lawyer Rocco Galati, who was representing some of the suspects, protested the intense security measures at the court. He asked that security be diminished when the accused next make their next court appearance on Tuesday.

Outside the courtroom, Mr. Galati a veteran of terrorism cases, scoffed at the allegations.

"I've seen fertilizer for the last eight years," he said, commenting on the strength of previous cases by the government that he has fought against.

In court, Mr. Galati was accompanied by Aly Hindy, a Toronto imam and friend of the highly-controversial Khadr family, who have well-established connections to al-Qaeda.

Mr. Hindy, a controverisial Iman, leads an Islamic centre in Scarborough, said he knew several of the accused because they prayed at his mosque but said they were not terrorists.

"He said the charges are to keep George Bush happy, that's all."

G & M
Alvin Chand, brother of Toronto suspect Steven Vikash Chand, scoffed at the charges outside the courthouse.

“He's not a terrorist, come on, he's a Canadian citizen” Mr. Chand said of his brother. “The people that were arrested are good people. They go to the mosque. They go to school, go to college.”

Aly Hindy, an imam at the Salaheddin Islamic Centre in nearby Scarborough, said the centre's mosque had been monitored by security agencies for years. He said Muslims were once again being falsely accused.

“It's not terrorism. It could be some criminal activity with a few guys, that's all,” said Mr. Hindy.

G & M

Given the connection to Mahjoub and the security certidicates and Galati, I'll bet this case becomes a political football.

The fertilizer and weapons evidence better be solid because the Left will not accept Internet messages and maps of downtown Toronto.

All things considered, this is one incident in a much broader and serious battle.

I wonder what spin Layton and the nutcase NDP will put on this, short of somehow blaming the rest of us for not embracing multiculturalism. I think that if these people want to caome to Canada it should be firmly stated that Canada is a melting-pot and they can worship whatever way they want in theri own homes and churches, but in Canadian society are traditions will be preserved, including traditional RCMP uniforms for all members regardless of religion. Definitely no daggers or swords to be worn in the classroom. Our Liberal, liberal-minded judiciary should be told that either they quit being activist and making law, or Parliament will simply pass laws to roll-back and curb the powers of the judiciary. The current judiciary dertainly does not represent the morals and values of ordinary Canadians, and that needs to be turned around.

Amonium Nitrate is a common fertilizer that is used in the growing of corn. I one year decided I was going to plant a small one acre feild of sweetcorn. I bought with no problems about 300 pounds of this at the Country Supply store near me. Most people would not quetion that type or volume of fertilzer arounf me as we are a large corn growing area. Just south of Ottawa and north of Cardinal (where Canada Starch make corn oil). Most of the feed stores around here would always have many tons in stock and I would imagine that most would simply ask for your address etc for the purchase.

Now if you were of arabic descent and buying this and are not known to the store, I would imagine that they may insist on delivering it etc. and I would think they may report it as well. But gettign this stuff is legal and there really is nothing anyone can do to stop you buying it.

The farms that use this would also probably have large tanks of deisel fuel around as well, and also lots of 60 gallon drums from feed etc. So it would not be hard for any terrorist group to buy a farm and have a huge supply when ever they wanted it.

I am sure that these people they have arrested must have had much more evidence then just that. Hell if you listen to the farmers talk about the way they feel about government and then see just what they have around at hand. Half of all our farmers would be jailed as a terrorist.

I wonder what spin Layton and the nutcase NDP will put on this, short of somehow blaming the rest of us for not embracing multiculturalism.

Fer sure. These boys are victims not culprits. Suspended sentences and lifetime welfare for all the accused.:P

j/k

Considering it's the NDP, I wouldn't put it past them to take the steps you mentioned.. :ph34r:

This has been the top news story on Fox News. 3 tons! 3 times more ammonium nitrate than Timoty McVeigh used in the Oklahoma terrorist attack. Will the left finally wake up?!

And Argus has zero chance of getting a job in the MSM if he insists on calling these people Muslims. :angry:

They are NOT MUSLIMS; They are "ETHNICS!"

Neocons. :rolleyes:

Guest Warwick Green
I wonder what spin Layton and the nutcase NDP will put on this, short of somehow blaming the rest of us for not embracing multiculturalism.

Fer sure. These boys are victims not culprits. Suspended sentences and lifetime welfare for all the accused.:P

j/k

And the Liberanos - the 11 dwarfs? How will they answer when asked about it? This happened in the Toronto area and most of them are from there.

This has been the top news story on Fox News. 3 tons! 3 times more ammonium nitrate than Timoty McVeigh used in the Oklahoma terrorist attack. Will the left finally wake up?!

And Argus has zero chance of getting a job in the MSM if he insists on calling these people Muslims. :angry:

How long before everyone starts saying it was an Al-Queda plot? Cause you know if you throw terrorism, Al-queda in a couple sentences, people will automaticly link the two.

Guest Warwick Green

Tough on any Arabic looking folks wanting to cross from Canada into the US!

How long before everyone starts saying it was an Al-Queda plot? Cause you know if you throw terrorism, Al-queda in a couple sentences, people will automaticly link the two.

If it isn't an al-Queda plot, I'd be much more concerned. That means random Muslims want to kill us. Pretty scary thought. I'd be more comfortable if an established organized body was waging war than segments of a religion.

If it isn't an al-Queda plot, I'd be much more concerned. That means random Muslims want to kill us. Pretty scary thought. I'd be more comfortable if an established organized body was waging war than segments of a religion.

I wonder what these guys are listening to in the mosques, what are their Mullahs preaching that could push them into this. Who else are they listening to, (other than their parents).

I just hope these charges stick because if they get off, it will just add fuel to the conspiracy fires, and fan the flames of left wing hatred for anything conservatives.

I wonder what spin Layton and the nutcase NDP will put on this, short of somehow blaming the rest of us for not embracing multiculturalism. I think that if these people want to caome to Canada it should be firmly stated that Canada is a melting-pot and they can worship whatever way they want in theri own homes and churches, but in Canadian society are traditions will be preserved, including traditional RCMP uniforms for all members regardless of religion. Definitely no daggers or swords to be worn in the classroom. Our Liberal, liberal-minded judiciary should be told that either they quit being activist and making law, or Parliament will simply pass laws to roll-back and curb the powers of the judiciary. The current judiciary dertainly does not represent the morals and values of ordinary Canadians, and that needs to be turned around.

It will certainly be blamed on us being in Afganistan and somehow on the Conservatives being in power. Perhaps they'll blame Bush somehow LOL. I can't help but wonder what kind of reaction Mr. Dithers would've had were he still in power. They'd probably play it down so as not to lose votes in the GTA. Remember we had to kick the Liberals out to get the Tamil Tigers terror group outlawed. You see we need to be tolerant of these people and seek to understand their feelings :rolleyes: .

I wonder how long they'll serve in prison? It'd be great if we could somehow find a way to deport them to the US to send them to Gitmo and throw away the key.

I wonder what these guys are listening to in the mosques, what are their Mullahs preaching that could push them into this. Who else are they listening to, (other than their parents).

scriblett,

You may be onto something here,one of the fathers of an accused said,

His son "has no violent inclinations at all," and his only crime is that "he goes and prays in a mosque."

Calgary Herald

The usual suspects are spinning and weaving a plot to discredit the RCMP - it never ends. Rosie Dimano has a good article today.

thestar.com/ http://tinyurl.com/mva87

e sickened. Be frightened. Be angry. But don't you dare be shocked.

Unless you've been had.

Either way, the time has long passed for domestic bliss born of ignorance, virtue and wilful denial.

For everyone who thought Canada could cower in a corner of the planet, unnoticed and unthreatened by evil men — even when the most menacing of a very bad lot has twice referenced this country as a target for attack — take a good, hard look at what's been presented and what's being alleged-snip-

These accused wanted, if intelligence experts are correct (and they've been wrong before), to kill you.

Your children, your parents, your lovers, your neighbours.

Wouldn't matter, the colour of your skin, your mother tongue, the God that you pray to or if you pray at all. Wouldn't matter even if you happen to equate George W. Bush with Osama bin Laden.

The Jihad Generation — nothing alleged about it — makes no distinctions.

Come such a day, Toronto will look like London ... Madrid ... Bali ... New York City.

Blood streaming, mangled metal, severed limbs, inchoate rage and immeasurable grief.

"This group posed a real and serious threat," said Mike McDonell, assistant RCMP commissioner in charge of criminal intelligence and national security. "It had the capacity and intent to carry out the attacks. Our investigation and . . . arrests prevented the assembly of any bombs and the attacks from being carried out."

Further: "We must remain vigilant. Canada is susceptible to criminal terrorist activity as much as any other country."

If such a thing had occurred, if it were still to occur, many would have cheered, if not overtly here in Canada, then without shame in distant places. And others, innumerable others, would turn themselves inside out to rationalize, exculpate, mitigate, mock, shift the blame to something societal or political or self-inflicted.

scriblett

That article points out exactly what I am talking about in my other post. Not making some link to Al-Queda directly, but the mere mention of it or hinted at it is just as damaging. Leading people to speculate that it was indeed Al-Queda. Soon you may see something like 'Oh well now we found out they were actually a super secret Al-Queda cell that we never knew about' :lol:

The next plot will be domestic as well. Or how about this, when will you see a terror plot (foiled or carried out) that IS actually linked to Al-Queda. Watch for the ramp up of this kind of thing.

The head of CSIS said the terror from within is greater than the terro from without.

So who is ready to vote in the Canadian version of the Patriot Act (oh wait we already have something like that in place)

Tha article says to me that there will be more attacks to come. The next one wil be real.

Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Vancouver. These are the places I specualate would have a terror attack.

Can you please distinguish between lax security laws and screening of refugees going through the refugee determination system or regular immigration system, which is a distinct issue, with all Muslims or any Muslims who choose to come to Canada. It is absolute b.s. to start generalizing and blaming all Muslims in Canada for this. That is invariably what will come of this however. There will ne extreme back-lash against all Muslim Canadians and I suppose you smug Canadians who bad mouth Israel for being oppressors can see what it is like first hand trying to deal with terrorism.

That said, i agree this case will become a political joke. Rocco is gonna ride this horse for all its worth. Canada being what it is will feel guilty about the charges.

This is going to split the country between people who live outside the big cities and have few immigrants with the big cities full of immigrants. You can already see the comments on these posts suggesting all liberals live in Toronto.

The fact is Canada is only multi-cultural in its large cities, nowhere else, and rural Canada will now feel even more alienated from the large cities where the immigrants go to. This in turn will reinforce why immigrants stay in big cities. If I am an immigrant who is Muslim or who has any shade of brown in my skin or heaven forbid big lips or a big nose, after this do I dare think of settling in a rural town least I am mistaken for an Arab or Muslim terrorist?

For those of you using this as an opportunity to express anti immigration sentiment and your general dislike of Muslims I suppose you have a golden opportunity now to justify it.

For me, I just hope there is sufficient evidence to prove they are guilty otherwise it feeds right into the hands of other terrorists who will use it.

More to the point, naive Canada, has finally been caught and dragged into the mess most of the rest of the world has witnessed first hand.

Man it will be interesting to see all you Zionist is Racist leftists deal with the anti-Muslim back lash.

The real issue here is not hating Muslims. Its seriously examining our immigration laws or refugee determination laws on admission-that is all.

As for multi-culturalism, any idiot knows the moment you hyphen who you are, confusion has to reign. Our worst problem in Canada is not that we are a nation of immigrants, its that we don't want to accept assimilation as a natural consequence once we get here. Everyone wants to remained hyphened and drive around with their mother country flags whenever the World Cup arises.

That is not anything more then a country with a lack of identity. Going the other extreme and making everyone wear Maple Leafs on their arms won't work either. Ask Hitler.

It is absolute b.s. to start generalizing and blaming all Muslims in Canada for this. That is invariably what will come of this however.

I agree. This is one of the serious weapons in the fanatic-Islamic arsenal. Divide and conquer. Islam is at war with itself first and foremost. Before the Jews and before us. From Indonesia to Morocco Islam and its followers are 'evolving' if you will as the difference between urban and rural, between rich and poor, between cosmopolitan and isolated becomes more. Old Islam (Iran's Mullah system) is at war with its modernizing self (Iranian students at the moment are a good example). We don't hear much about this over the car-bombs, but because worldwide Islam’s population is bottom-heavy (more young than old, opposite of the West), there has been serious call for change, demonstrations, even 'anti-fanatic' acts of terrorism.

If these Terrorist attacks were carried out it would have been Canada's 9/11, Bali Bombings, Madrid Bombings, London 7/7 Bombings, Canada was very lucky. I have been reading on other Forums where people have used this to bash the United States, had these attacks taken place the United States would have responded right away with aid and Security how fast these people forget that..