al-Gore: It's okay to lie about Kyoto...

Fine then. I'm going to storm into the emergency room at the hospital, claim that my foot is infected with gangrene so that I can jump to the head of the line and have a doctor look at my ingrown toenail right away. After all, an over-representation of factual presentations on how dangerous my medical condition is okay as long it will get my doctor to solve the crisis that is my ingrown toenail.

No MB, if you were over-representing factual presentations in this case, you would be badgering the nurses to treat you before your ingrown toenail becomes infected. You are thinking of "misrepresenting," which is a different word. Regardless, even if Gore did lie, it wasn't to engage his country in an immoral and illegal war.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fine then. I'm going to storm into the emergency room at the hospital, claim that my foot is infected with gangrene so that I can jump to the head of the line and have a doctor look at my ingrown toenail right away. After all, an over-representation of factual presentations on how dangerous my medical condition is okay as long it will get my doctor to solve the crisis that is my ingrown toenail.

No MB, if you were over-representing factual presentations in this case, you would be badgering the nurses to treat you before your ingrown toenail becomes infected. You are thinking of "misrepresenting," which is a different word. Regardless, even if Gore did lie, it wasn't to engage his country in an immoral and illegal war.

I went to emergency and told them this tale and they said that I was lying! I told them, "no I am not lying, I merely gave you an over-representation of factual presentations. Obviously the hospital is run by neocons. :blink:

"even if Gore did lie, it wasn't to engage his country in an immoral and illegal war

You shouldn't post things like this, Bubber. It makes you look really bad. Your "illegal" claim is an outright lie, or as al-Gore said: "an over-representation of factual presentations". Your claim that it is immoral to overthrow a mass-murdering dictator and liberating 25 million people appears to prove the Michael Savage adage: Liberalism is a mental disorder.

You shouldn't post things like this, Bubber. It makes you look really bad. Your "illegal" claim is an outright lie, or as al-Gore said: "an over-representation of factual presentations". Your claim that it is immoral to overthrow a mass-murdering dictator and liberating 25 million people appears to prove the Michael Savage adage: Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Funny, I couldn't find Liberalism in the DSM-IV (The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, fourth edition). But what I did find was a term that most of the right could very likely suffer from: PARANOID PERSONALITY DISORDER. A few symptoms:

* suspicious; unfounded suspicions; believes others are plotting against him/her

* preoccupied with unsupported doubts about friends or associates

* reluctant to confide in others due to a fear that information may be used against him/her

* reads negative meanings into innocuous remarks

* bears grudges

* perceives attacks on his/her reputation that are not clear to others, and is quick to counterattack

http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/paranoia.jsp

Actually, now that I look at this list I think some of the religious right might fit here as well.

Don't think so. Any future ice age will be caused by our inattention to global warming.

http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0130-11.htm

Whew! You guys have got all the bases covered. No matter what happens, mankind is always "proved" to be the cause. Colour me convinced! Forget everything I wrote earlier! Scratch that - I'm sure you already have.

Mankind is the cause the only cause of environmental "degradation" and Kyoto atonement is the only source of absolution for the planet. Are you guys sure you aren't a religion? I mean, come on, you have to see the parallels.

"Whew! You guys have got all the bases covered." :lol:

Game. Set. Match. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen this Al Gore movie and I recommend it. It contains Gore's slide show (during the movie he says that he has given it 1000 times) but it also has Gore talking about events in his life (eg. loss of the presidency). The movie puts Gore front and centre - there is no one else.

It is somewhat false to state that the movie is one-sided. Gore confronts opposing viewpoints and is careful to rebut them. The movie ends on a positive note. The evidence is well presented.

It's humorous at times but not leftist-hysterical or over the top. The music, of course, is the dramatic variety.

Here's the web site: http://www.climatecrisis.net/

I have two criticisms. One concerns style, and the other concerns content. On style, I think Gore would have been better to go to an independent filmmaker and have an outsider view him and his slideshow. On content, IMV, the strongest argument about global warming is the "tragedy of the commons" argument. When something appears to be free, people will abuse it.

But Gore makes a good, even dispassionate case. Any thinking person should see this movie.

It seems that movies are the new forum of the left. I guess they gave up on AM radio since the Air America strategy failed.

Why should anyone view this movie as anything but propaganda? Does Gore debate the issues with someone of note who disagrees with the pablim he's spoonfeeding us? No, he hand picks certain talking points of those who think the 'the world is ending' hysteria is bunk, and recites rehearsed lines nicely, but no exchange of ideas occurs, just more dogma.

After all, he's just a spokes-model for the left.

You shouldn't post things like this, Bubber. It makes you look really bad. Your "illegal" claim is an outright lie...

I shouldn't bother to respond since you can't exactly respond back, but Kofi Annan said it was illegal, and I'll always take the word of the Secretary-General of the UN over the word of a banned anonymous poster.

Like August said, any thinking person should see this movie.

Any thinking person should be able to see the lack of objectivity in a movie where only one side of the issue is represented. I know, I know, it's alright as long as it's the side you support, right?

Any thinking person should be able to see the lack of objectivity in a movie where only one side of the issue is represented. I know, I know, it's alright as long as it's the side you support, right?
Then more reason to see it and challenge your own opinions.

In fact, as I noted, Gore several times refers to opposing viewpoints and rebuts them. It is true that Gore is a man on a mission.

It seems that movies are the new forum of the left. I guess they gave up on AM radio since the Air America strategy failed.
That seems to be true. Maybe it's because talk radio is the home of the oneliner, put-down and cinema is the home of drama and emotion. Dunno.

It's not meant to be neutral. It's meant to take a position. He rebuts other positions. If you want to make an anti-earth documentary, go right ahead. People can go see both and decide which side they're on.

It's not meant to be neutral. It's meant to take a position. He rebuts other positions. If you want to make an anti-earth documentary, go right ahead. People can go see both and decide which side they're on.

I think you and August are missing my point. You say he rebuts other positions, but these are hand picked talking points that Gore recites. Sure it's not meant to be neutral, but if he's not bringing in people of note who disagree with him it's just propaganda. Don't get me wrong, watch anything you want, but he's just preaching to the converted.