Tories & Visiting Foreign Dignitaries

According to Le Devoir (Josee Boileau), the Tories have so far received three dignitaries, and all three have been given the cheap-scotch and hot-dogs reception. The President-elect and acting-PM of Haiti both had low key visits, and then Abdou Diouf, ex-President of Senegal and current Sec-Gen of the Francophonie, was searched upon his arrival in Toronto and never got to meet Harper.

Mais tout grossier soit-il, il s'inscrit dans une approche délibérée. Le gouvernement Harper n'a accueilli que deux autres chefs d'État depuis son élection et il l'a fait chichement à chaque occasion. Ottawa a tu la visite du premier ministre intérimaire d'Haïti, Gérard Latortue, sous le faux prétexte qu'elle était privée, alors qu'il a formellement rencontré M. Harper. Et puis, début mai, la même tactique a été reprise à l'occasion de la venue du premier ministre élu, mais pas encore assermenté, d'Haïti, René Préval. Les médias ont appris ces visites par accident et le protocole s'est fait fort discret.
Le Devoir

Louise Beaudoin (from Paris where she currently lives) is asking Charest to intervene:

Selon elle, le premier ministre Charest doit «montrer sa solidarité» avec le secrétaire général de l'OIF et réclamer que Stephen Harper lui présente des excuses en bon et due forme.

«Le Québec ne peut pas rester en retrait dans cette affaire, a estimé Mme Beaudoin dimanche en entrevue. Jean Charest doit aller au-delà de ses bonnes relations avec le premier ministre Harper, ou encore s'en servir, pour lui faire comprendre qu'on ne traite pas le secrétaire général de l'OIF comme ça. C'est honteux. Il faut protester. On ne peut pas laisser passer ça.»

Canoe

So, what gives? Are these unfortunate mistakes of missed flight details or a deliberate effort to change Canada's treatment of foreign visitors? It would not be the first time a foreign dignitary arrived unannounced, but then again Harper seems to be taking a new tack here.

This is one to watch.

three have been given the cheap-scotch and hot-dogs reception.
The fact that Harper is clueless when it comes to entertaining the high and mighty is part of his appeal and won't likely lose him any votes. However, I expect he will get his act together and play the role that the PMs job requires.

Arguably, Preval and Latortue were nobodies in official protocol terms since they had yet to be sworn in. Here's a report of Preval's visit:

Rene Preval, Haiti's president-elect, was in Ottawa on Monday, but his visit was almost invisible, with few of the normal trappings associated with a foreign dignitary.There were no news releases or briefings on his meetings with Prime Minister Stephen Harper, Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay or Gov. Gen. Michaelle Jean. There was no joint news conference. The prime minister's office made no announcement of the visit beforehand.
Link

As to Diouf, it appears that it was just a screw-up. But who knows:

A spokesman for International Co-operation Minister Josee Verner denied a claim by Coderre that Diouf wasn't met at the airport by diplomatic services.
Link

If the guy just showed up because he took an earlier flight, then such mistakes could happen. But if he was met by diplomatic services, then this is more serious. In any case, someone senior (such as Verner herself) should have met him at the airport. The RCMP as a minimum should be giving him security.

Read these bits in the context of the 'snub' of McGuinty and the first meeting with Charest.

It seems to me that Harper seriously dislikes useless photo-ops. If I'm right, then I wonder if it's personal taste or if, perhaps, he subscribes to the notion that less is more, ie. staying out of people's faces will do more for his image than being shown glad-handing all the time.

Diouf being *searched* is a gross overstatement of what happened.

I think Sandra Buckler said it best that "there were no latex gloves involved" or something to that effect.

None of these *incidents* are serious. Over even indicative of any overall pattern. More sad attempts at creating controversy by the Liberals.

Read these bits in the context of the 'snub' of McGuinty and the first meeting with Charest.

It seems to me that Harper seriously dislikes useless photo-ops. If I'm right, then I wonder if it's personal taste or if, perhaps, he subscribes to the notion that less is more, ie. staying out of people's faces will do more for his image than being shown glad-handing all the time.

In Québec, all French-speaking commentators agree that Harper must apologize. Not only is it a breach of international diplomatic conventions, but it is an affront to all francophones.
All French-speaking commentators in Montreal, who defend vociferously the independance of Quebec. For example, Lise Payette.

Montreal is not Quebec.

Give me a break! Haiti? Senegal? Does anyone really care? Harper's got better stuff to do than listen to these guys piss and moan about how we're not giving them enough foreign aid. I mean, honestly. Can you think of another reason why they'd be here? It's not like they're trading partners.

Chretien missed the King of Jordan's funeral because he was too busy skiing and nobody batted an eye. It says a lot that the Quebecers are now hyperventilating about two members of the vaunted Francophonie not being treated like they have the keys to the country.

That's why this story has absolutely no legs.

I saw it mentioned on QP yesterday. That is the only reference of any kind I have come across in any English-language media. If it had any possibility of becoming a real story that could hurt the Conservatives wouldn't the Liberals (or the CBC :lol: ) have picked it up?

Chretien missed the King of Jordan's funeral because he was too busy skiing and nobody batted an eye. It says a lot that the Quebecers are now hyperventilating about two members of the vaunted Francophonie not being treated like they have the keys to the country.

That's why this story has absolutely no legs.

I saw it mentioned on QP yesterday. That is the only reference of any kind I have come across in any English-language media. If it had any possibility of becoming a real story that could hurt the Conservatives wouldn't the Liberals (or the CBC :lol: ) have picked it up?

My guess is that it's seperatist sympathizers who're afraid of losing market share to the Tories.