New poll shows big CPC lead

The main reason for the tangent I want on in my last post was my frustration with Harper. He talked about less government all campaign long and hasn't come close.
Patience. Radical change cannot happen overnight. Politicians that try are usually eviscerated by the special interests they take on. Furthermore, many Canadians simply do not want the radical downsizing of gov't that some on the right want. Harper must take these views into account because he is now the leader of all Canadians and not just the 30-35% that voted for him.

Well said. But did anyone really believe Harper in the first place? When do/have we ever seen the politicians we elect (ed) do what they say-from any political stripe? The reality is, is that there are barriers to getting things done, and nobody is able to get their agenda 100% completed.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny how that never applied to the Liberals as they constantly ignored the west for not voting for them...

Patience. Radical change cannot happen overnight. Politicians that try are usually eviscerated by the special interests they take on. Furthermore, many Canadians simply do not want the radical downsizing of gov't that some on the right want. Harper must take these views into account because he is now the leader of all Canadians and not just the 30-35% that voted for him.

Funny how that never applied to the Liberals as they constantly ignored the west for not voting for them...

Well, each tactic has its plusses and minuses... Harper, being from Ontario, has a better view of the nation than either a Western preacher or a Quebec lawyer so he's trying to get a solid national base going rather than just go after the central Canada demographic.

The main reason for the tangent I want on in my last post was my frustration with Harper. He talked about less government all campaign long and hasn't come close.

Well said. But did anyone really believe Harper in the first place? When do/have we ever seen the politicians we elect (ed) do what they say-from any political stripe? The reality is, is that there are barriers to getting things done, and nobody is able to get their agenda 100% completed.

Very good point. Promises from politicians in this country haven'th held much weight for 25 years or more.

I just expected more because Harper is finally a conservative who everyone thought believed strongly in conservative principles and led a strong campaign based on implementing them.

I think we've gone past the point where more Liberalism can be an answer to our problems and is actually starting to become the part of the problem. I yearn to end the Liberal Brand handout and just leave people to keep their money instead of taking so much and giving a fool's share back through social programs the social effect of which is akin to placing a single bandage on shot gun wound. That doesn't mean that all social programs are useless, just that some are much more essential than others and that they should be prioritized and administered much better than they are today. And we should pay as much attention to keeping taxes low as we do to pursuing compassionate policies. I want to see us taking a 180 and getting away from the entitlement-mentality, consequence-free society. I just want to see some core conservative principles make a comeback.

Harper is moving in the direction you advocate. He's kept a lot of promises so far.

Cuts in the GST and the other targeted tax cuts are definitely lessening the tax burden. It's a balancing act, but I think he prooposed the cuts that he made because of their likelihood of being accomplished.

Harper is moving in the direction you advocate. He's kept a lot of promises so far.

Cuts in the GST and the other targeted tax cuts are definitely lessening the tax burden. It's a balancing act, but I think he prooposed the cuts that he made because of their likelihood of being accomplished.

I know he is, incrementally.

This taxed, tax cuts thing really has me annoyed though. Sounds more NDP than CPC to me.