Fall of the house of Ralph

Though I am not a fan of Ralphie, I think Lyle Oberg spoke the truth when he said 2 more years is too long for a leadership race and it could damage the party. That is why Klein shouldn't be too concerned about the 55% support on his confidence vote, because I believe the party would think this way no matter who the leader was. Now that he has announced his impending retirement, the sooner the better (within reason, of course. say, 6 months) Or even September.

I think Mr. Klein made the right decision ...

The decision to pack it in early was made for him by the front-runner... Jim Dinning... in order to snag his job.

Today, the NP's Don Martin is innocently asking ... why is Ralph dragging out his reign to the end of the year?

Innocently my foot!

Don knows what Ralph's up to, he knows that Ralph is doing that in order to give his favorite replacement, Preston, a little extra time so that when the time comes, Jim will wish he had never entered.

Don is generally generous with his handicapping skills, but like any professional tout, he too will not share a tip on a "sure thing" until he's made his wager.

I've got news for him! I already DID screw up his odds by betting a bundle on Presto!

The decision to pack it in early was made for him by the front-runner... Jim Dinning... in order to snag his job.

Today, the NP's Don Martin is innocently asking ... why is Ralph dragging out his reign to the end of the year?

Innocently my foot!

Don knows what Ralph's up to, he knows that Ralph is doing that in order to give his favorite replacement, Preston, a little extra time so that when the time comes, Jim will wish he had never entered.

Don is generally generous with his handicapping skills, but like any professional tout, he too will not share a tip on a "sure thing" until he's made his wager.

I've got news for him! I already DID screw up his odds by betting a bundle on Presto!

I'm curious as to why Presto is considered a "sure thing". No Tory he. Think about it: his dad was a SoCred who was ousted by the P.Cs. Then, federally, Preston helped engineer the destruction of the federal Tories. Plus, at 63, he'd be starting his tenure as leader at the same age as the outgoing leader. The consensus seems to be the Tories need new, young blood, not another member of the old guard.

I'd also hesitate to call Dinning the front runner in a race where all the candidates have yet to declare themselves. Yeah, he's got a strong Calgary backing, but he's been out of politics for a while now and I hear the Northern Alberta contingent of the Tories is not all that excited at the prospect of another Calgarycentric leader. I'lll say this much: these are interesting times in Alberta for once.

I'm curious as to why Presto is considered a "sure thing". No Tory he. Think about it: his dad was a SoCred who was ousted by the P.Cs. Then, federally, Preston helped engineer the destruction of the federal Tories. Plus, at 63, he'd be starting his tenure as leader at the same age as the outgoing leader. The consensus seems to be the Tories need new, young blood, not another member of the old guard.

I'd also hesitate to call Dinning the front runner in a race where all the candidates have yet to declare themselves. Yeah, he's got a strong Calgary backing, but he's been out of politics for a while now and I hear the Northern Alberta contingent of the Tories is not all that excited at the prospect of another Calgarycentric leader. I'lll say this much: these are interesting times in Alberta for once.

Well he doesn't necessarily have to run as a Tory does he? He's pretty adept at starting new parties. Stay tuned.

As for Dinning ... you may not think he's a front runner. But alas it appears that Poor Jim does.

All I know is that 45% of Ralph's party members are traitors and that if Preston Manning does enter the race he will beat them all, handily. And that that is exactly what Ralph wants.

Well he doesn't necessarily have to run as a Tory does he? He's pretty adept at starting new parties. Stay tuned.

Well, the question is over who's going to run for the P.C. leadership. Presto floated a bid for that title, so that rules out a new party.

As for Dinning ... you may not think he's a front runner. But alas it appears that Poor Jim does.

Maybe he is, it's hard to tell at this point. He's got the dough and the connections for it, that's for sure.

All I know is that 45% of Ralph's party members are traitors and that if Preston Manning does enter the race he will beat them all, handily. And that that is exactly what Ralph wants.

Traitors? What, you'd rather these leadership reviews be more like Saddam Hussein's presidential elections (99 per cent support!!)? And I have serious doubts about Manning's chances: it's pretty easyy to paint him as an outsider and his age and time out of politics make him something of a yesterday's man.

I have serious doubts about Manning's chances:

He won't run unless he's sure that he will win.

I'm damn sure about that.

That's why I'm going to lay money down on him as soon as he enters, because I know that if he gets cold feet they'll have to scratch him and I'll get all my money back.

A 'can't lose situation', one might say. B)

I think what people are missing here is that Ralph got screwed by the one person one vote system. With only 1200 delegates it was reasonably easy for Dinning and/or Obergs people to get their way and dominate even if the vast majority of Klien's caucas still supports him.

I hear that Dinning has got it hands down from people who are "in the know" but I think that whoever posted that more time gives Preston a better chance was right. It is an interesting time to be a political watcher in Alberta where one party rule makes only civil war in the ruling party interesting.

Money is in Calgary, leader comes from Calgary.

How I see it.

I think what people are missing here is that Ralph got screwed by the one person one vote system. With only 1200 delegates it was reasonably easy for Dinning and/or Obergs people to get their way and dominate even if the vast majority of Klien's caucas still supports him.

There's no evidence of any conspiracy to undermine Ralph. Oh, I'm sure there were attempts to sway the vote, but I don't think you can ignore the listlessness of the Klein regime over the past few years.

It ought to be of big interest to ALL of Canada, because ALL of Canada will be positively affected if the man who stands head above shoulders over ALL Canadian politicians, Preston Manning, wins.

WAKE UP CANADA!

A man who was such a titan that he was unable to lead the party he created to a breakthrough outside its regional base? A man who has been completely off the radar for the past few years? And most importantly, a man who is two years shy of retirement age?

Plus, given that Presto has not tipped his hat as to his true intentions for the Tory crown, its a bit premature to be holding the coronation.

And most importantly, a man who is two years shy of retirement age?

Most brilliant men love their liquor and use it frequently for optimum performance. And yes, these men do lose their edge by the age of 65 and should consider retiring from very important positions.

But it is a well known fact that those who do not need this brain-cell depleting crutch last much longer .... so I give Preston at least 15 more years before he starts losing his edge.

Aah what the heck, considering how sharp that edge is, I give him 20!

A man who got *trounced* in a leadership race by Stockwell *worst OLO ever* Day.

A man who was such a titan that he was unable to lead the party he created to a breakthrough outside its regional base? A man who has been completely off the radar for the past few years? And most importantly, a man who is two years shy of retirement age?

Plus, given that Presto has not tipped his hat as to his true intentions for the Tory crown, its a bit premature to be holding the coronation.

Ever since Iggy tipped HIS hat the papers have been holding coronations not just on the front pages but ALL OVER THE PAPER FOR HIM .... even in the Globe's Style section:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...ah+mclaren+iggy

I hope that when Presto tips his hat he too will immediately be regarded as "much more than a pretty face".

SORRY!

It worked when I put it out but now, a few hours later, the G & B changed it's mind, it seems, and you have to register now in order to to read "Iggy Pops" by the one and only LEAH McLAREN.

At least it's FREE .... not like Asper's papers, who charge you big bucks for the privilege.