NDP dumps Hargrove

shoop

and refuse CAW money? dry.gif

Didn't Harper say something about banning corporate and union donations ?

That would bring such a fresh air to politics in Ottawa, and set Canadian politics head and shoulders above the US system. The NDP wouldn't have to kowtow to Buzz anymore, and the other parties could develop policy without having to take their big contributors into account.

and refuse CAW money? dry.gif

Didn't Harper say something about banning corporate and union donations ?

That would bring such a fresh air to politics in Ottawa, and set Canadian politics head and shoulders above the US system. The NDP wouldn't have to kowtow to Buzz anymore, and the other parties could develop policy without having to take their big contributors into account.

It would also bankrupt the Liberals and NDP completely. It's brilliant really, would look awful to vote against, but its quite the blow to your party for years to come if you vote for.

Brilliant move by Harper. The CPC is the only party that wouldn't be affected in a major way by a move like that.

Poor, poor Buzz. The NDP actually pulled his membership. Who will take him now? The Marxist-Leninists?

Buzz has NDP membership pulled story.

While Buzz write an apology letter?

He can regain his membership if he writes a letter indicating he would not endorse candidates for other parties again.

You know, Buzz is the biggest idiot in all of this. In "dumping the NDP and endorsing the Liberals to keep the Conservatives out of power then undermining the Liberals separation rhetoric campaign by bumping up the Bloc's popularity in Quebec" actually did one thing...help the Conservatives by hurting the Liberals.

Thanks Buzz...we are ready to negotiate... ;)

It would also bankrupt the Liberals and NDP completely. It's brilliant really, would look awful to vote against, but its quite the blow to your party for years to come if you vote for.

Brilliant move by Harper. The CPC is the only party that wouldn't be affected in a major way by a move like that.

Doesn't the CPC accept corporate donations as well ?

I think all parties will be affected, but Mr. Harper just sees the sense in going down the path that Paul Martin started and for this I applaud him.

They do, but Geoffrey is right about the CPC not being affected in a *major way* by banning of union and corporate donations.

The CPC garners far more of its funds by smaller donations from citizens than do the Liberals or NDP.

I think all parties will be affected, but Mr. Harper just sees the sense in going down the path that Paul Martin started and for this I applaud him.

They do, but Geoffrey is right about the CPC not being affected in a *major way* by banning of union and corporate donations.

The CPC garners far more of its funds by smaller donations from citizens than do the Liberals or NDP.

..which is why Stronach should lead the libs. She could finance the entire campaign with daddy's plastic.

..which is why Stronach should lead the libs. She could finance the entire campaign with daddy's plastic.

Or Ignatieff... he could get all the old money from the Tsar. :lol:

Newsflash: Union and corporate donations are already banned.

This was yet another NDP idea that the Liberals stole. Manitoba NDP gov't banned union and corp. donations and the idea had traction - so, naturally the Liberals stole it.

The laws now restrict a union or corporate donation to $1000 in a calender year; a far cry from the millions that all parties got from such organisations. The way the Liberals and Conservatives seem to have found a loophole is that they now accept the maximum $5500 from CEO's and high ranking officials from the corporations.

Newsflash: Union and corporate donations are already banned.

This was yet another NDP idea that the Liberals stole. Manitoba NDP gov't banned union and corp. donations and the idea had traction - so, naturally the Liberals stole it.

The laws now restrict a union or corporate donation to $1000 in a calender year; a far cry from the millions that all parties got from such organisations. The way the Liberals and Conservatives seem to have found a loophole is that they now accept the maximum $5500 from CEO's and high ranking officials from the corporations.

Union and corporate donations aren't banned at the Federal level.

If a CEO wants to give money to a party, who are you to say they have no right to participate in the democratic process? It's still a personal donation.

"However, new rules were brought in at the start of 2004 to limit any individual from contributing more than $5000 in any calendar year to a party and its candidates. Corporations and trade unions are capped at $1000 per calendar year. The limits on individual donations are subject to an inflation adjustment and stand at $5,200 for the current fiscal year ending March 31, 2006; corporate and union donations remain fixed at $1000."

www.sfu.ca/~aheard/elections/laws.html

NDP kicks Hargrove out of party

But executive member Mike Shields, a top CAW official, countered the party was acting hypocritically since other prominent NDPers had done the same thing but are not facing expulsion.

"Toronto Mayor David Miller, who is an NDP member, actively endorsed some Liberal candidates," Shields said.

Can anyone in the NDP say "I'm a hypocrite". <_<

NDP kicks Hargrove out of party
But executive member Mike Shields, a top CAW official, countered the party was acting hypocritically since other prominent NDPers had done the same thing but are not facing expulsion.

"Toronto Mayor David Miller, who is an NDP member, actively endorsed some Liberal candidates," Shields said.

Can anyone in the NDP say "I'm a hypocrite". <_<

Can anyone in any party say "I'm not a hypocrite?"

I really don't think the Libs or CPC can sling mud on that sort of a sentence....

Union and corporate donations aren't banned at the Federal level.

If a CEO wants to give money to a party, who are you to say they have no right to participate in the democratic process? It's still a personal donation.

Union and Corporate donations ARE (virtually) banned.

Read the Elections Canada page on this: Financing of Registered Political Parties –

No, a CEO is free to donate up to his or her maximum personal donations limit under the new rules...as are the union bosses free to do the same. Or any other average Joe or Jane for that matter.

Except for the Liberals expelling 10 party members from their party for corruption,and Hargrove from the NDP,who else was expelled from a political party?

Prostitution is a choice by the prostitute,expelling is done by the Party. <_<

The Liberals have expelled 10 people for being actually CAUGHT with their hands in the cookie jar. Hargrove is in hot water for violating the constitution of the NDP itself. I guess you actually have to break the law to get kicked out of the liberals.

Union and Corporate donations ARE (virtually) banned.

Thanks for the update Gunner... this is why I'm on here - to learn.

I thought Harper was going to ban the last $1000 though.

I think that the CPC's low budget and straightforward ads actually added to their appeal last time around, while the Liberals' glossy high money productions seemed excessive. ( To me, anyway. )

Except for the Liberals expelling 10 party members from their party for corruption,and Hargrove from the NDP,who else was expelled from a political party?

But the pimping is done by the party

Someone sold one of their members?

But the pimping is done by the party

Someone sold one of their members?

dude whatever, It is a sorry state we are in when we argue about examples and completely ignore the situation at hand. It is a sorry state when their is a refusal to admit when it comes to politics hipocrisy abounds, there is no more hipocrisy in the NDP's actions then there is in the actions of Stephen Harper to proposition Emerson into becoming a political sex slave, I am simply using the terms consveratives used to describe belinda stronach, only to turn around and ask Emerson to cross sides. The hipocrisy is evident in all parties, in that sense it is a failure on Canucks part to recognize such hipocrisy a failure to address it.

Does anybody have a % breakdown of donations from individuals/corporations/etc.. I've been trying to find that info for a while. The elections Canada website only give the breakdown per donation.

Cheers

Searched for this information for an hour and found nothing on topic. My understanding is that Liberals have much more to lose than either the CPC or the NDP, in fact corporate money for the Tories and union money for NDP are a surprisingly small percentage of their overall campaign donations. Both rely heavily on small individual donations under $500. Maybe someone else can confirm this.