Whatever happened to ethical, accountable government?

I always thought a Justice Minister should be beyond reproach in terms of their past history of obeying the law. Vic Toews was convicted last year of breaking Manitoba's elections finance laws in the 1999 provincial election. He pled guilty and was fined. Harper seems to be maintaining the status quo in Ottawa quite nicely.

All I can say is that with each new revelation I find myself to be nearly as disappointed in Harper as I was with the Liberals. I say almost because Harper hasn't found the opportunity to pilfer away a few hundred million taxpayer dollars to his friends and supporters ... yet.

I always thought a Justice Minister should be beyond reproach in terms of their past history of obeying the law. Vic Toews was convicted last year of breaking Manitoba's elections finance laws in the 1999 provincial election. He pled guilty and was fined. Harper seems to be maintaining the status quo in Ottawa quite nicely.

The difference is there was no cover, he was fined in accordance with the law, and he's on with his life.

Theres was no fraud or theft or racketeering. This doesn't really compare to the recent goings on in our government.

Not that I'm justifying Vic, he did break the law. And he accepted responsibility for it.

It isn't like this is a really *new* revelation anyways. Toews' conviction was news well before the election. The voters knew it and still elected him.

The difference is there was no cover, he was fined in accordance with the law, and he's on with his life.

Theres was no fraud or theft or racketeering. This doesn't really compare to the recent goings on in our government.

Not that I'm justifying Vic, he did break the law. And he accepted responsibility for it.

It isn't like this is a really *new* revelation anyways. Toews' conviction was news well before the election. The voters knew it and still elected him.

This is true.

He's probably been convicted of a number of traffic offences also...hardly cause to preclude him from being a Justice Minister.

FTA

He's probably been convicted of a number of traffic offences also...hardly cause to preclude him from being a Justice Minister.

FTA

On a related anecdote, Peter Mackay got his license suspended awhile back for speeding.

I don't think Toews' conviction is that bad. The man is more than qualified to be justice minister and has done a lot as justice critic.

I think in the long term this will pass as one of the less interesting stories of the Harper government...

I don't think Toews' conviction is that bad. The man is more than qualified to be justice minister and has done a lot as justice critic.

I think in the long term this will pass as one of the less interesting stories of the Harper government...

I don't even think the most anti-CPC person out there really even cares.

Do you ever sleep tml, you seem to be on this 24 hours a day, its 1:30am out here, its what, 3:30 there? On a Wednesday? :blink:

I don't even think the most anti-CPC person out there really even cares.

Do you ever sleep tml, you seem to be on this 24 hours a day, its 1:30am out here, its what, 3:30 there? On a Wednesday? :blink:

Yeah it is 3:30...actually I went to bed around 11 but, sometimes, I wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep so I just do work around the house and come on the forum.

Around 6 I'll be sleeping again. :D

All I can say is that with each new revelation I find myself to be nearly as disappointed in Harper as I was with the Liberals. I say almost because Harper hasn't found the opportunity to pilfer away a few hundred million taxpayer dollars to his friends and supporters ... yet.

If this is the worst Harper does, I'll still be pro-Harper in the next election.

FTA

On a related anecdote, Peter Mackay got his license suspended awhile back for speeding.

Oh the humanity!!! :o:blink::lol:

I'm not a CPC supporter, but I do take heart in the fact that many Conservatives seem to be holding the new government up to the same scrutiny they had for the Liberals.

Thank you for that.

Your Welcome.

Us conservative folks are just asses to everyone equally. :lol:

Part of being conservative is an intense distrust of government. Who is in power doesn't really matter.

Besides, who's going to hold my party to its promises if I don't? The Liberals, NDP or BQ? Hardly. The other parties and their supporters obviously don't want what I do from our government or they would have voted for them in the first place. Its up to conservatives to hold conservatives to their promises.

The Liberals would *never* do that. You cannot point to one Liberal MP who publicly took issue with Belinda crossing the floor last spring.

The Liberals worry only about power. So their is no *standard* their supporters can hold them to.

I hope that this continues and that the other parties are held to this standard by their supporters.

The Liberals would *never* do that. You cannot point to one Liberal MP who publicly took issue with Belinda crossing the floor last spring.

The Liberals worry only about power. So their is no *standard* their supporters can hold them to.

I hope that this continues and that the other parties are held to this standard by their supporters.

You mean Scott Brison didn't complain? :lol:

Thanks for proving my point newbie. The Conservatives actually had MPs complain about floor crossing -on principle- when somebody crossed the floor *TO* them.

When Belinda crossed the floor NO Liberal MP complained on the principle of the issues.

Instead of admitting the hypocrisy you try and deflect the issue. Soooo much easier when you have no principles. :lol:

Apples and oranges Shoop.

Thanks for proving my point newbie. The Conservatives actually had MPs complain about floor crossing -on principle- when somebody crossed the floor *TO* them.

When Belinda crossed the floor NO Liberal MP complained on the principle of the issues.

Instead of admitting the hypocrisy you try and deflect the issue. Soooo much easier when you have no principles. :lol:

Apples and oranges Shoop.

Nice try, but the situation was entirely different as you are well aware. Try and remember back what Mr. Harper said when dear Belinda left his party. Do you remember? Here's a little reminder of the situation.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/politics...139a9f9&k=70347

Like I said, apples and oranges.

Harper said he felt betrayed by Belinda when she left, he didn't say she shouldn't have been able to leave. Big difference. In fact, during the election cmapaign, Harper made it very clear that he would oppose a motion to stop floor crossing. He felt an MP has to have the ability to move with their conscience, and that a party leader should not be able to hold an MPs seat over their heads to make them tow the party line.

There's nothing remotely unethical about either the Emmerson or Fortier appointments. They were done with full disclosure, and in accordance with parliamentary procedure. It's hypocrisy of epic proportions for Liberals to cry foul about these appointments.

Vic Toews? Fantastic choice for justice minister. He was a great justice minister here in Manitoba, and he'll do a great job federally too.

The only appointment that irks me is Flaherty as finance minister. If ever there was a specific portfolio to make SURE to reward your Calgary roots with, its finance.

Harper said he felt betrayed by Belinda when she left, he didn't say she shouldn't have been able to leave. Big difference. In fact, during the election cmapaign, Harper made it very clear that he would oppose a motion to stop floor crossing. He felt an MP has to have the ability to move with their conscience, and that a party leader should not be able to hold an MPs seat over their heads to make them tow the party line.

There's nothing remotely unethical about either the Emmerson or Fortier appointments. They were done with full disclosure, and in accordance with parliamentary procedure. It's hypocrisy of epic proportions for Liberals to cry foul about these appointments.

Full disclosure to who? What a crock. What an insult to his constituents. At least Belinda ran again in the next election and won as a Liberal.

Speaking of hypocrisy, what about this statement Emerson said the day after the election?

"I'm going to be Stephen Harper's worst enemy," he warned. "We're going to stir the pot and you better believe we are going to make a heck of a lot of noise."

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/News/2006/01/24/1408892.html

Something odd to say when you're about to switch parties. Or was that before the "full disclosure."

:ph34r:

I'm not a CPC supporter, but I do take heart in the fact that many Conservatives seem to be holding the new government up to the same scrutiny they had for the Liberals.

Thank you for that.

Your Welcome.

Us conservative folks are just asses to everyone equally. :lol:

Part of being conservative is an intense distrust of government. Who is in power doesn't really matter.

Besides, who's going to hold my party to its promises if I don't? The Liberals, NDP or BQ? Hardly. The other parties and their supporters obviously don't want what I do from our government or they would have voted for them in the first place. Its up to conservatives to hold conservatives to their promises.

Instead of a "natural governing party" sounds like a "natural official opposition" to meeee

:ph34r: