Jump to content

Pierre Poilievre: A One Trick Pony -- Or Are WE All Getting Tricked?


Recommended Posts

Pierre Polievre was like a breath of fresh Spring air blowing through the opened window of a sealed, dark, and stale bedroom when he first caught my attention a couple of years ago. I especially admired the way that he handled himself -- or more appropriately, how he handled Justin Trudeau -- in their parliamentary exchanges. The PM would repeatedly fold like a house of cards...and it could actually painful watching Trudeau lose by default most each and every time.

But my initial surge of enthusiasm ebbed rather swiftly as I watched PP's cocky self-assured mis-steps that ensued: his enthusiasm for Bitcoin...his deliberately going out of his way to serve coffee to members of the Freedom Convey...his sudden newly-found arrogance with members of the press...and on and on. The man sure knows no peers as knowing how to grab headlines and make his presence know, alright -- but what will happen when he's elected prime minister of the land, and has nobody to bait and to blame above him...?

Te expression of "all sizzle and no steak" immediately comes to mind.

Still in all, what choice do we weary Canadians have, otherwise...? Four more years of a Trudeau-Singh oligarchy to suffer under, as parliament merely foregoes the expected, lending additional years of life to that particular "deal with the devil"...? Surely we all deserve better.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Eddy said:

what will happen when he's elected prime minister of the land, and has nobody to bait and to blame above him...?

That is the point where he will learn the difference between "politics" and "governance."

Politics is a sport and Canadians have historically been very good at it. Politics is supposed to be fun and it is important to always keep in mind that the rigour of democracy depends on not taking politics too seriously.

Governance is serious business requiring an ability to build a team that is able to balance opposing visions and pressures. Every decision the team makes will have a negative impact on a segment of the population. It is especially intense for the PM and his family. There is a whole industry in place to find everything they can to embarass the PM including anything his children, spouse or extended family do or don't do.

Currently, Pierre has the best job in Parliament. Being Leader of His Majesty's Loyal Opposition is fun. You can say anything,  promise anything and there are no consequences. If I were Pierre, I think I would consider keeping Justin in office as long as possible. The Prime Minister is a wealth of good material for Mr. Poilievre and the PM gets all the headaches and none of the fun.

After the next election, Mr. Poilievre will form a government that will have a deficit he is committed to address while the continuing crisis in Europe will present pressure to increase the Defence budget and having to re-build the defence procurement infrastructure. Then there is climate change. After all of his rhetoric, he will have to do some serious balancing of conflicting forces. All of that will mean greater spending. On top of everything, there will be a new Administration in Washington with a strong possibility of a hostile Congress.

Have pity on the man and his family. They will need all the luck they can get.

Edited by Queenmandy85
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

That is the point where he will learn the difference between "politics" and "governance."

Politics is a sport and Canadians have historically been very good at it. Politics is supposed to be fun and it is important to always keep in mind that the rigour of democracy depends on not taking politics too seriously.

Governance is serious business requiring an ability to build a team that is able to balance opposing visions and pressures. Every decision the team makes will have a negative impact on a segment of the population. It is especially intense for the PM and his family. There is a whole industry in place to find everything they can to embarass the PM including anything his children, spouse or extended family do or don't do.

Currently, Pierre has the best job in Parliament. Being Leader of His Majesty's Loyal Opposition is fun. You can say anything,  promise anything and there are no consequences. If I were Pierre, I think I would consider keeping Justin in office as long as possible. The Prime Minister is a wealth of good material for Mr. Poilievre and the PM gets all the headaches and none of the fun.

After the next election, Mr. Poilievre will form a government that will have a deficit he is committed to address while the continuing crisis in Europe will present pressure to increase the Defence budget and having to re-build the defence procurement infrastructure. Then there is climate change. After all of his rhetoric, he will have to do some serious balancing of conflicting forces. All of that will mean greater spending. On top of everything, there will be a new Administration in Washington with a strong possibility of a hostile Congress.

Have pity on the man and his family. They will need all the luck they can get.

Totally agree that it's much easier to sit and criticize, and much harder to actually manage a country and come up with good solutions and implement them yourself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

But PP's a miracle worker. He's gonna reduce the deficit, increase NATO funding, reduce crime requiring more cops and prisons and make everything better by starting by throwing away $12 billion worth of carbon tax revenue.


While the rest of us have trouble with grocery prices without cutting our income. .Can he turn water into wine too?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I totally agree with practically all of the aforementioned sentiments expressed...

Yes., Poilievre is really & truly right in the midst of his halcyon-salad days, taking full advantage of a lame-duck & slow-witted prime minister, & relishing at what he does best: skillfully taking jabs at an opposition that increasingly resonates with a dis-enfranchised voter block, one that is fast is "becoming" the Canadian electorate of to-day.

But then after all, that's the very job of the loyal party that's in opposition, right? And so far PP has garnered-up considerable voter support -- but only at this particular stage in his political evolution, that is. What happens once he's elected will tell the tale as to his true leadership timber: is he just a flash-in-the-pan populist, or does he really possess "the right stuff" to grasp the reins of leadership & lead us all into his promised land.

One thing that I can only hope is not a portend of things to come in any Conservative majority is his constant use of the words "common sense" as to what is his soon-to-come governance. I'm old enough here to remember getting sucked into the vortex of ex-Ontario premier Mike Harris' "Common Sense Revolution".

There was nothing "common", or "revolutionary" about it -- & certainly no sense in it, either.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Eddy said:

Pierre Polievre was like a breath of fresh Spring air blowing through the opened window of a sealed, dark, and stale bedroom when he first caught my attention a couple of years ago. I especially admired the way that he handled himself -- or more appropriately, how he handled Justin Trudeau -- in their parliamentary exchanges. The PM would repeatedly fold like a house of cards...and it could actually painful watching Trudeau lose by default most each and every time.

But my initial surge of enthusiasm ebbed rather swiftly as I watched PP's cocky self-assured mis-steps that ensued: his enthusiasm for Bitcoin...his deliberately going out of his way to serve coffee to members of the Freedom Convey...his sudden newly-found arrogance with members of the press...and on and on. The man sure knows no peers as knowing how to grab headlines and make his presence know, alright -- but what will happen when he's elected prime minister of the land, and has nobody to bait and to blame above him...?

Te expression of "all sizzle and no steak" immediately comes to mind.

Still in all, what choice do we weary Canadians have, otherwise...? Four more years of a Trudeau-Singh oligarchy to suffer under, as parliament merely foregoes the expected, lending additional years of life to that particular "deal with the devil"...? Surely we all deserve better.

Beep

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Eddy said:

his enthusiasm for Bitcoin

How is Bitcoin doing now? 🤔

4 hours ago, Eddy said:

going out of his way to serve coffee to members of the Freedom Convey

Didn't Trudeau take a knee with BLM? Which one has done more damage? That was rhetorical.

One of these groups are responsible for hundreds of millions in damages regarding rioting, were seen by Trudeau, as people expressing their freedom of speech. By many news outlets, as mostly peaceful.

Accused of some fraudulent work, yet were supposedly representing black people? 

Why the double standard?

4 hours ago, Eddy said:

Convey...his sudden newly-found arrogance with members of the press...and on and on. The man sure

Press often lobs softballs for Trudeau and grill him. He is showing he has a set.

Canada needs those, and brains to get back into the global fray. 

Now, if he starts losing his cool, and routinely yelling, I will get worried. As long as he is just pointing out reporters incompetence, am good with it.

4 hours ago, Eddy said:

but what will happen when he's elected prime minister of the land, and has nobody to bait and to blame above him...?

He better deliver, or is office time will be short?

Trudeau hasn't in over 8 years, so the bar is set so low, he can't even limbo underneath it.

4 hours ago, Eddy said:

"all sizzle and no steak"

You're looking at it on your plate, and didn't even try it yet, and are returning it because it wasn't as fresh as you expected.

Trudeau was a rotting carcass (still using food references), and you're angry he feels you wish for 4 more years of this. 

Poilievre is a delicious looking steak, medium rare, and his antics lately is like slightly overlooking it. Its still pink, and still looks and smells  good.

So my choices are carcass, or fresh looking steak. I will take a bite of the latter. If it tastes like garbage, I will make sure to get a refund and promptly return to sender, as will most of Canada.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, herbie said:

But PP's a miracle worker. He's gonna reduce the deficit, increase NATO funding, reduce crime requiring more cops and prisons and make everything better by starting by throwing away $12 billion worth of carbon tax revenue.


While the rest of us have trouble with grocery prices without cutting our income. .Can he turn water into wine too?

He doesn’t need to do any of that.  He only has to do better than the disaster that has been Trudeau and he’ll get re-elected with a majority.  Pay attention now.  This is what happens when one party selects an empty suit with a brand name(Trudeau) to lead them and the suit thus wins elections until something serious happens.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, herbie said:

Yeah yeah.... just like how every other Tory govt was so much better at managing things...

LOL - you wanna do a side by side between harper and trudeau and see whose time in office looks better?   :)   ROFLMAO - this is NOT a good time in history for you to be claiming left wing gov'ts aren't worse :)  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

 

After the next election, Mr. Poilievre will form a government that will have a deficit he is committed to address while the continuing crisis in Europe will present pressure to increase the Defence budget and having to re-build the defence procurement infrastructure. Then there is climate change. After all of his rhetoric, he will have to do some serious balancing of conflicting forces. All of that will mean greater spending. On top of everything, there will be a new Administration in Washington with a strong possibility of a hostile Congress.

Have pity on the man and his family. They will need all the luck they can get.

I posted something very similar to this recently, and amazingly several people accused me of shilling for Trudeau.

I agree with what you're saying, we've got big problems to solve.

Cutting government spending by a few points and immigration by 10 20 30% isn't going to fix everything that's in front of us.

Edited by Michael Hardner
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

Cutting government spending by a few points and immigration by 10 20 30% isn't going to fix everything that's in front of us.

It literally is.  A 4.5 percent reduction in gov't spending has been estimated to return the budget to balance in less than 3 years, and if it's combined with a 30 percent reduction in migrants there would be a  very significant relief on the pressures of food inflation and housing.

Of course that's based on today. God knows what mess trudeau will get into in the next year.  But still

What you fail to realize is that trudeau has screwed up so incredibly badly that it's very easy to make improvements with little effort that will have big effects.  Now - undoing all the damage will take a long long time and there's still some mid rang issues which will require more serious work.  But it will be very easy to "Look good" almost immediately,

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

But it will be very easy to "Look good" almost immediately,

As opposed to doing anything immediately.  No need for that though, he'll be riding the old we inherited a mess for at least a year maybe two...and he'll probably get another 2 years off while blaming the deepstate.

OTOH, given the dictatorial powers that come with the PMO there should be little to no excuse for not making vast wholesale changes to Canada.

By rights we should have milk boxes, home visits by family doctors and single income earner families within the year

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, eyeball said:

As opposed to doing anything immediately. 

I literally posted the things he would do. And he would have to do things to look good

Oh but  we mustn't worry about facts and truth when defending our echo chamber right? Right?

It's leftie liars like you who gave us the canada we have today, which is in such a mess. Why can't you learn to deal with facts and reason instead?

Go play with your tinker toys, the adults will fix this problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

I literally posted the things he would do.

So 4.5% here and 10 20 or 30% there is everything he has in front of him? Fix that and we're good?

Who knew it would be so simple.

Quote

And he would have to do things to look good

Maybe he can increase Canada's C02 emissions, that would definitely be a sign of happy days being here again.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, eyeball said:

So 4.5% here and 10 20 or 30% there is everything he has in front of him? Fix that and we're good?

Who knew it would be so simple.

Maybe he can increase Canada's C02 emissions, that would definitely be a sign of happy days being here again.

Why are you this stupid?

Is that what i said? Did i say " just 4.5% here and 10 20 or 30% there is everything he has in front of him and we're good?"

Or did i say that balances the budget and reduces inflationary pressures, two major things.  And then listed a bunch of other things.

Your precious leader drove canada into the whole its in now, a mess so bad that young people are fleeing the NDP they're so desperate for SOMEONE who can give them a sliver of hope after justin and jagmeet.  And you're just DERP-ing your way along oblivious

Yeah, it's that simple. And as to who knew - the economists and banks and financial experts who've been saying this for about 2 years now

Oh - and the right wing who predicted he'd screw up this bad before he even got elected. Turns out Prime Minister really ISN"T an entry level job.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"...i guess this will tell us how many lefties are smart enough to realize they're debating with a bot..."

You are aware of Einstein's supposed definition of insanity, aren't you...? It's doing the exact same thing over & over again, expecting a different result...

The only difference in your specific case is that you repeat the exact same thing over & over again...

"Beep...!"

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Mr. Harper seemed to do a better job than your 'man crush' Justin . . .

He did his 3 terms and then was punted out and the libs got a majority

Seems the Canadian way...three wins and you're out LOL

So, not really better.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Tell a friend

    Love Repolitics.com - Political Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      10,750
    • Most Online
      1,403

    Newest Member
    Betsy Smith
    Joined
  • Recent Achievements

  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...