Gay Marriage - At Last Some Sense

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree that polls shouldnt lead social issues.

that is why civil rights for blacks was the right thing to do regardless of how many sourther states hated it and how bad the reaction from whites was.

similiarly, equality for gays is the right thing to do regardles of how many wrinkled church leaders tell their followers to fight it or how many politicians try to look pious by not embracing it.

Lost, of course we listen to Grandma - she'd clout you over the ear if you didn't! Or at least mine did.

SirRiff, I listened to MLK at BU - yes, I was there then. And I was in the South and I can tell you first hand that despite what some of them might wish to believe, no gay is facing what existed in Mississippi. No way in hell! Those people truly fought to be seen and treated as human, as members of the human race. This is not a civil rights issue.

Marriage is a religious term and should be reserved for religious ceremonies. If Gay people want a legal relationship, civil unions or partnerships would serve that purpose. Demanding their relationships be defined as "marriage' is an attack upon our morals and churches and will begin a war - none of us should wish to go there.

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty sad that people equate a pyschologically disturbed mental condition with melanin levels in the skin.

Gays already have rights and the fact that they suffer from a mental affliction is obvious to all.

Slavery was an economic system with a political superstructure that was torn down, thankfully, in pieces over about 150 years starting in 1817 and ending in 1962 or thereabouts with Civil Rights Legislation.

Gay Marriage has nothing to do with slavery, or melanin levels in the skin. It has to do with separation of church and state and whether the Judiciary or Parliament actually runs the country.

I don't have a strong opinion on this one but, I will say that researches beleive 3% of the population is born gay and not the fault of the individual who some say decide to be gay (just as someone born bi-polar was to decide to be bi-polar). Anyway, I believe marriage is between man and woman as well, it's just hard to no there are laws discriminating against people who were born different.

Dick Cheney's daughter and Dick Gephardt's daughters are both lesbians and I know you don't think Cheney's daughter decided to be gay knowing her father is such a radical conservative!

researches beleive 3% of the population is born gay and not the fault of the individual who some say decide to be gay

Please re-visit the thread "Gay Gene". Your statement is simply false, pure and simple. There is no consensus in the scientific community, and the majority of evidence and opinion trends away from any idea of innate homosexuality.

There are many theories and i have read one that beleives the 3%, which sound consistent with what is out there to me.

Are you then saying that people DECIDE to be gay and have a more difficult life?

Are people born bi-polar or do they decide to be bi-polar?

Are people born with Down Syndrome or do they decide to have it?

Do you think Gay's should or shouldn't have rights?

What two consenting adults do in a bedroom is there business and not the govt's, we're living in the USA, not Iran!

It's still crazy that we make laws for those people who don't concern you or I as heterosexuals. We make a law for them to stay behind and this is suppose to be a free country??

Why don't we do away with Freedom of Speech while we're there. The Freedom of Speech was not written to protect speech we like to hear but, to protect the speech some cannot tolerate........

Are you then saying that people DECIDE to be gay and have a more difficult life?

Read the thread. This has been gone over in too much detail and at too much length to rehash here solely for your benefit.

It's still crazy that we make laws for those people who don't concern you or I as heterosexuals.

The murder of Holly Jones concerns you or I about as much. Shall we strike down the laws about that, too?

Why don't we do away with Freedom of Speech while we're there.

Don't worry, Svend Robinson is already working on that.