Jump to content

LCBO Eliminating Paper Bags


Recommended Posts

On 9/8/2023 at 9:56 PM, August1991 said:

To me, this is evidence that the current "protect environment" and CO2 taxes are a fraud.

Of course its a fraud.

Canada has been shipping millions of tons of recyclable plastics to China, then elsewhere in Asia.

It's about politics, optics and virtue signaling. Easy to be condescending your constituents about their use of fossil fuels, when your inability to figure out recycling is covered by the many countries we ship millions of tons of it out to in containers. 

If they actually wanted to fix the issue, heavy money would be invested towards the solutions. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

I was making the point that our service is getting lousy like Russia’s.  It doesn’t matter.  We’re not on the same wavelength. 

I cannot get on the same wavelength with people that keep citing Russia for every little complaint they have....considering they have never lived or worked or been there :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

AHA....that explains it. A closet Russian LOL

I lived and worked there for a spell many years ago.  The people were friendly and hospitable.  Even then, early post-Soviet Union, the government had issues, but it was more democratic and striving to westernize its economy. You have to study the history to see why Russia is where it is today.  It’s complicated.

Our standard of living is higher and we’re generally more democratic except on the radical left ideology front, which is significantly damaging.  Our governments, institutions, and large businesses have been captured by international metrics on ESG and DEI (look up the acronyms) that want to socially engineer us away from traditional family values and individual rights and economic opportunities.  The national religion in Canada is gender ideology and fighting climate change.  All other perspectives are cancelled.

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I lived and worked there for a spell many years ago.  The people were friendly and hospitable.  Even then, early post-Soviet Union, the government had issues, but it was more democratic and striving to westernize its economy. You have to study the history to see why Russia is where it is today.  It’s complicated.

Our standard of living is higher and we’re generally more democratic except on the radical left ideology front, which is significantly damaging.  Our governments, institutions, and large businesses have been captured by international metrics on ESG and DEI (look up the acronyms) that want to socially engineer us away from traditional family values and individual rights and economic opportunities.  The national religion in Canada is gender ideology and fighting climate change.  All other perspectives are cancelled.

All I am saying is your constant comparison to Russia (clearly not when you lived there ) is old and tired.

Don't like what you see and is going on, so be it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

Meh....same thing...its getting old.

No, it’s just that now you have Israel and Hamas to worry about.  Having bigger and more fish to fry doesn’t mean you get to stop frying fish.  It just means the problems are getting overwhelming.  LCBO’s crap service is easily lost in the mix. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

No, it’s just that now you have Israel and Hamas to worry about.  Having bigger and more fish to fry doesn’t mean you get to stop frying fish.  It just means the problems are getting overwhelming.  LCBO’s crap service is easily lost in the mix. 

The topic is about paper bags Dude (or dudette) for krist sake and you wander off to Russia and now Israel and Hamas !!!

Control yourself Dude (or dudette) LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe the paper was made from Lebanese cypress and supply chain issues made it too costly?

Like I said, there's a cost to paper bags so bring your own like everywhere else. Or charge 50c for one at the store and turn a profit on them. Local grocers charge 35c per paper bag here already.

Edited by herbie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

It has never been about paper bags this is a marking plan that turns a negative number at corporate level into a positive one by selling another product...we bought it all hook line and sinker because well Canadians are gullible...what is it climate barbie said yell it loud enough and long enough and Canadians will believe it...that and we really don't give a shit about the environment, or we would be pushing for more programs like this one...We get a few points form eliminating plastic bags and plastic straws...but everything else in our world is made from plastic...and paper bags are better for the environment, and it creates good paying jobs...back in the day pulp and paper, and fishing were the largest employers around...now most mills have shut down and fishing is not that great as it once was....

Personally the alternatives are slim, like cardboard plates, paper food containers, etc wooden forks and spoons, but what about packaging plastics are everywhere in everything... Nothing wrong giving our pulp and paper industries new business with something that can be returned to nature... and if there is something we have lots of is trees... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2023 at 10:55 AM, ExFlyer said:

l but, if eliminating paper bags is so environmentally conscious, how come they still publish that 100 page glossy Food and Drink magazine...in French and English.

I wonder how many trees it would save if they stopped that magazine?? Which is less useful than the paper bags.

Agreed.  Paper bags have actual use (people need these brown bags to carry the liquor they just bought); whereas they could simply put their magazines online, thus saving trees.

Personally I don't have a problem with organizations wanting to go green, but I feel that they should set an example themselves.  

P.s.  Why is the word "organisation" underlined as incorrect spelling?  This is a Canadian website, isn't it?  :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

Agreed.  Paper bags have actual use (people need these brown bags to carry the liquor they just bought); whereas they could simply put their magazines online, thus saving trees.

Personally I don't have a problem with organizations wanting to go green, but I feel that they should set an example themselves.  

P.s.  Why is the word "organisation" underlined as incorrect spelling?  This is a Canadian website, isn't it?  :P

It is your spell checker, nothing to do with the website.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Forum Admin
39 minutes ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

P.s.  Why is the word "organisation" underlined as incorrect spelling?  This is a Canadian website, isn't it?  :P

Not any more.

It's a long story, but recently myself, and the operations have moved to the United States.  The forum software is also American... so you're going to get a few Americanized things around here.  However, the forum still skews Canada in membership and engagement, but that is decreasing with time.

Users by county, over the past 28 days:

image.png

You can ignore the Singapore metric, as that was mostly bot traffic, that I've had to filter out (to minimize server stress).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Tell a friend

    Love Repolitics.com - Political Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      10,721
    • Most Online
      1,403

    Newest Member
    paradox34
    Joined
  • Recent Achievements

    • SkyHigh earned a badge
      Posting Machine
    • SkyHigh went up a rank
      Proficient
    • gatomontes99 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • gatomontes99 went up a rank
      Enthusiast
    • gatomontes99 earned a badge
      Dedicated
  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...